Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exhaust bolts,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blubyu, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Blubyu

Blubyu
    from Troy, MI

Greetings,
    Last evening I was taking parts off my Buick to get the Throttle body off and there is a section of Exhaust that I have to take off. Then a bracket off to get to the last bolt on the Throttle body. Then it should slide right off. But the last bolt that's giving me a headache is a square. I tried metrics and the 16mm seemed to grip it but I don't have a deep well. It has a long post coming right through the center of it. Is there a square sided socket set? Is it the double Square sockets? If anyone knows what I'm talking about give me a holler. It's factory I know that because the exhaust has never been replaced on my 99 Buick. i can post pics later if I have to.

Chris

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get a "double square (they're called 8-point sockets) that will fit the nut. Use a LOT of penetrating oil. Use a little force to try and move it and then a little to tighten it. Get the nut rocking and use a lot of penetrating oil. Go slow and don't try to force it off all at once.

Oh yeah, did I mention using a LOT of penetrating oil?? :D

3. Blubyu

Blubyu
    from Troy, MI

I soaked the bolt with Penetrating Breaker before I went to bed last night. I'll squirt it again at lunch today. I'll try and find a set of the double square sockets. Or maybe just the one I need. Thanks. The bolt on the other side wasn't the same and when I tried to loosen it I sheared it right off. I would love to shear this on off if I could, I'd just use Hex bolts to put it back together. I just need something to grip it so that I can rip it off or take it off. Which ever comes first. Thanks I appreciate your help.

Chris