Register now to get rid of these ads!

Falfa and Milner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Falcon, Sep 15, 2009.

?
  1. John Milner's 32 Ford Deuce Coupe

62.8%
  2. Bob Falfa's 55 Chevy

37.2%
  1. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

THE MOVIE...was filmed in the 60s, but was intended you believe it was in the 50s. so forget about the 409 or 427 c.i. watch the movie and see if there are any 60s cars...POP.

2. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

Actually it was about the early 60`s "Where were you in 62' ?" and made in the early 70`s . Sorry maybe a348 / 409 , definitely no 427`s though.

3. nail-head

nail-head

I think they picked '62 for a reason, "the end of an era" theme. Same theme as "The Wanderers," set in '63.

4. 55chevr

55chevr

Well ... I already have the 55 Chevy .... guess I want the Milner coupe ... although I have a 31 'A' coupe in the works ....

Attached Files:

5. 55chevr

55chevr

I think that they picked 62 for the movie to predate the Vietnam War ... this took a lot of the fun out of being a hot rodder and n'er do well when the big build ups happened in '65 ... plus the rise in muscle cars started with GTO in '64

6. ken1939

ken1939

What about Candy Clark? She was okay in those days too ya sick bastage:eek:

7. nail-head

nail-head

Like I said, end of an era.

8. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

I voted Milner because to me it is the most iconic hot rod, but I must say the 55 is one of my favorites too and my choice of the tri five chevy's.

9. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have the 55 already.Gathering parts to build the Coupe ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. rodger6494

rodger6494

Falfa. Love both rides,but the 55 was just meaner.

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

easy. the 2cv that the dork drives.

12. When the models first hit the stores, I took the Nailhead out of a Riviera model, the four speed from a Tri-5 Chevy, and dropped them in the Milner coupe. Reworked the headers from the AG coupe to fit the Nailhead.

13. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Although Milners 32 is cool, its realy a huge piece of shit! The fenders and the stupid chopped radiator would be the first things to be thrown in the swapmeet pile.

Just my 2 cents

Im not a chevy guy but im going to have to vote for Falfa.

In real life 1962 it probably would have had a 283 or 348, as the 409 was still kind of new and too expensive for the average joe. Same goes for the 327 (first year of it)although it would have been easyer to score a 327 over a 409.

14. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

If my 1/18 diecast model actually depicts what was supposed to be in Falfa's '55, it was a dual-quad W-motor. I'd say a 409. Hardly ever see a dual-quad 348.

15. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

The '55, yes Im a Ford guy and yes the 55 still but only because the 55 was also in two lane black top which I consider to be a much more cult classic than the better known graffiti. In black top it was the star baby.

16. MR.BROWN

MR.BROWN

The ''Real Car" had an L-88 in it. Didn't it? Regardless of what year they wanted you to believe it was in the movie. Watch it closely, there are a bunch of mid sixties cars in there. I want the 55 with the L-88 and the muncie, Hands Down!

17. BLZEEBUB

BLZEEBUB
    from Ireland

I remember reading about the film in custom car mags when I was a teen, years before I actually saw the film. the 55 looked more 'built' and 'for purpose' with the roll cage etc., to me at least, than the 32; the 32 with all its chrome looking more 'show, than go'...
    The 32 still has the edge for me; as with the script of the film it looked like a 'evolutionary hot rod' -something that was built up over time by the owner/builder, warts and all...
    The dialogue near the end of the film; "taking the header plugs off, eh?? ...xpectin some action" before he roars off for the head to head, the sound being noticeably different...
    Its perhaps a different perspective, considering where I am from, but it looked real knarley; fenederless, agressive, chopped and totally OTT

18. tromollo

tromollo
    from Easton PA

The milner 32 ,the car from the movie is owned by a guy who lives in york pa. If you looked under the car the( frame and suspension ) you would
    throw up .Not built to win any awards at all .just put together for the movie .Back when the movie was made they couldnt give it away after the movie was done .who would have thought !

19. 55chevr

55chevr

When the muscle cars started with Pontiac in '64 most guys stopped building hot rods and went to the dealer and bought one ... before that everything was home built ... 5- Ohh you are correct ... complete 327 were tough to get although you could buy a 327 cu in/340 HP short block for $240.00 from the local Chevy dealer ... which was a kings ransom then ... now laughable ... remember a decent job paid $100 a week back then ... everywhere you looked there was a 55 chevy with some kind of small block in it ...

20. NYCDrums

NYCDrums

Muscle cars didn't start "with Pontiac in '64" nor did "most guys" stop building hot rods.

21. wizzard23

wizzard23

After reading this entire thread, just throw me a bottle of Old Harper!!!!!!!

22. 10secondA

10secondA

i would take falfas 55 but in its two lane blacktop trim

23. Chuck R

Chuck R

For me its all about that piss yella coupe.

24. beauishere

beauishere

Jeez,

The Milner Coupe is owned by Rick Figari who lives in San Francisco, CA. It was an existing, running hot rod in Compton, CA when producer Gary Kurtz bought it for American Graffiti. The only thing you got right is that the frame and suspension are vomit inducing.

Aloha

25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

$240 in todays money is about $1,700, which is a damn good price for a new factory engine. And at a buck a week, you're looking at about $650 in todays money. You are right about the muscle cars.
    There are two main points about the movie:
    1: Lucas based the movie on his teenage years growing up in NOCAL and he had a coupe that was similar to Milners coupe.
    2: The movie shows the transition from the old Ford Hot Rods of the 40s and 50s to the street machines,muscle cars of the 60s and 70s.
    Milner knew times were changing and it was hard for him to let go.

26. rustybones

rustybones

i would be banging the hooker in the t bird :)

27. A change of hieght on that grill would do wonders for Miners 32.Love the 32 but i gotta pick the 55,it looked evan more purpous built in TLBT.I got my first 55 six months after the movie AG came out,i was sixteen and it was black..Over the next decade i remember seeing heaps of tri5's and fords jacked up in the arse,long spring hangers were in...

28. Did this get answered? I think it was "Bob". My first name's Al,but that is irrelevant here.:)

"Al-" Falfa. Everbody's funny;now you're funny too.

29. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

THIS THREAD...deserves another look...POP.

30. SpikedLeatherworks

SpikedLeatherworks

LMFAO! I've looked at that movie as an insult to hotrodders since I was a little kid (literally). Never sat through more than five minutes of it. Now American Grafitti was a different story... always one of my favorites. I love both of their cars, just know I can fit my big ass in a '55 a lot easier than that little coupe.