Register now to get rid of these ads!

BAD deal from Summit racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sk_rodz, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sk_rodz

sk_rodz

Beware of ordering from Summit racing. I recently ordered a set of shannon caps from them. come to find out, they will only fit on Wheel Vintiques wheels.So I then order a set of wheels from them that are wheel vintiques.when I ordered them I told them what kind of car they were for. I recieved the wheels and took them to the tire shop.They mount one tire and start to put it on the car. The wheel is 5 on 4 3/4, the car is 5 on 5.They sent me the wrong wheels. I call to get an exchange, and they will not make good on the wheel that had the tire mounted on it.No damage, the wheel was never on the car, the tire was on it maybe 2 minutes.They will not work with me at all on this. I will never deal with Summit again, and I hope that with the power of the HAMB, word gets out on the way they do buisness.

2. VonWegener

VonWegener

Call them again and don't mention the tire. Most likely some other guy will answer the phone....

3. punkstripe

punkstripe

Yeah, they got to big for their britches. That's why I like dealing with mom & pop shops. You pay a little more, but at least you get great customer service.

4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I don't know I was always treated real good by Summit ?

5. Were the wheels shipped directly from Summit or drop-shipped from Wheel Vintiques? Does your receipt, invoice, and/or packing slip indicate what fitment the wheels were (or were supposed to be)?

6. sk_rodz

sk_rodz

I am going to send it back anyway, I don't think there is any way that they can tell. I just hate when a company makes a mistake, and then won't make good on it.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yep. You mount em you own em. Test fits are your friend.

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yep, never had a bad experience with Summit. I've gotten bad parts before, but with a phone call they offer to pick them up and send out new ones.

I'm not surprised they won't take back your wheels. They have a disclaimer that says, "If you mount tires to wheels they are non-returnable."

9. sk_rodz

sk_rodz

they were drop shipped from Wheel Vintiques. The reciept has no specs on it, only the part number.

10. you ordered wheels on the phone and you did not discuss what actual bolt pattern you needed?

11. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

i agree it was dumb for them not working with you, but you should have checked fitments before mounting the tire.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you have verification that you ordered the right wheel, then Summit screwed up in telling WV which wheel(s) to ship. If it was WV's screw up, either way it's not your fault.

Disclaimer or not, you did nothing wrong. Ship the wheel(s) back to WV and demand the right wheel(s) or a refund.

13. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Did you see a tag on the wheel that states that you should fit wheels prior to mounting tires on them?

Also there is a sticker that says if you mount tires on them their yours.

We can all thank liability laws for this action.

I know I have bought over 30 wheels from them in the last year and every one has those stickers on them as well a notice that the finish on the wheels is only primer and will not offer protection to the elements.

Yes they do make mistakes, we all are human, thats why it is a good ideal to test fit for bolt circle and clearence.

Sorry but I'm not with you on this one.

14. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

RODS...are you realy sure it's SUMMITS fault. man you need to think these kinds of things out, before posting negative information about mail order company's. (MAIL ORDER )...POP.

15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is absolutely NOT Summits fault. If you bother to read the sales order,or look at the rim itself, it clearly states DO NOT mount tires untill you make SURE the rim fits that car. Once you mount a tire on the rim, you own them.

Also, it is a good idea for YOU to verify your bolt pattern on a 45 year old car. To expect Summit to know every bolt pattern of every car made in the last 50 years or so is a strech.

Remember, if you bad mouth a company like Summit Racing that has been in bussiness as long as they have, you better have your shit together. They didn't build the bussiness they have from screwing people.

-Abone.

16. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

I've never had anything but excellent service from Summit.

Measure your bolt pattern so you know what to order, check the new wheels to make sure their correct.

Pretty common knowledge if you mount a tire on the wheel you're not gonna be able to exchange it.

17. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

man that sucks, you shouldve test fit the wheel before mounting tire. anytime you mailorder wheels,test fit before mounting tires..

like a couple others stated, i would have the tire dismounted, look at the wheel and see if you see any rubber on it, or scratches then call summit again.

i've used summit nearly 20yrs without ever a problem

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

sk rodz; They don't have time to hear your life story;

Call them or email them;

Say; I recently ordered a set of wheels from you. The wheels are 5 on 4 3/4, I meant to order 5 on 5. I want to exchange them. Refer to the invoice number. 'Nuff said.

See what happens. :D

19. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you ordered 5 on 43/4 you should have noticed they were wrong before going to tire shop,if their policy is mount tires on wheels,no return,you have only yourself to be pissed at.anytime you order something for an older car you have to be specific on what you want,measure twice,order once.don"t bitch about others if you made the screwup happen yourself.

20. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I agree.

This policy came into effect from the guys with the "I think it should fit, maybe" mentality. They buy and mount them up and realize they wont fit.

21. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

You can also contact Wheel Vintiques and explain the situation to them. Maybe you'll find a sympathetic ear. Remember the adage; it's easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar.

22. hemifarris

hemifarris

I just bought a set of 15" steelies from Coker. I checked the bolt pattern and my dog dish hubcap fit before sending them to the powder coater........Mike

23. Thanks for the wise input Jeff.:) Unfortunately in this day and age we semm to be responsible for our own actions:rolleyes:

24. BigChief

BigChief

....but with the power of the HAMB a whole heap of people now know you will cut your nose off to spite your face and also learned a good lesson (or reminder for those that already knew) from your mistake that if a tire is mounted on a new rim you are now the proud owner regardless. That has been industry (wheel industry, not Summit Racing) for many many years.

Sorry about your luck.

25. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

True but you'll catch the most flies with a dead squirrel.

26. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

I ordered Wheel Vintique wheels directly and they had a warning label on each wheel saying if you mount it, you own it. Before ordering, they had a form to fill out requiring a number of measurements including the bolt circle. I learned the hard way about their hub caps. I ordered the hub caps from Bob Drake and they wouldn't fit the Vintique wheels. I called Wheel Vintiques and they said I needed to buy the hub caps from them and the Drake ones would not fit. None of this is Summit's fault. Every time I go to Ohio, I shop in their store, it's great to look around even if you don't buy anything.

27. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

1000's of $$$ spent at summit
    couple mistakes they made rite &paid all shipping
    speedway has been good too
    summit tech line always has the answers or finds out who to ask

28. wolfers

wolfers

I have had nothing but good experience with Summit. I bought the wrong cam one time. Called them up, fessed up to my mistake and they exchanged it with no hassle at all.

I have a piece of thin cardboard that is cut in a circle with the center cut out. It has all the different bolt patterens punched in it. I picked it up from Heidt's Hot Rod Shop at their booth at a car show. You can just slip it over the studs or lay it on a wheel and you will know exactly what you have. Great tool and it was free. It has saved me several times.

29. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

your screw up, not their's.

ALWAYS test fit before proceeding.

perhaps you can put those wheels for sale on the HAMB and make your lesson learned a bit easier to take and a little easier on the wallet.

I think this thread should be closed.

30. gotit

gotit

I bought a few aeromotive fuel pumps from summit. One went bad almost a year later. I called them and without any trouble I had a new one on the way. I have had great service from summit racing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.