Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowered the Shoebox control arms...will it be strong enough??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ab_51Ford, Jun 7, 2010.

1. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

Made some 1" spacers and dropped the spring pockets on the 51 Ford. In the pictures iv bolted everything together but before they go back in the car, everything is gettin welded up front and back. Now that their in there, Im not sure if it looks strong enough. I mean there's obviously alot of pressure on em, I know that but what do you guys think? As far as I know its just like the bolt in kit that was offered for years, I just want to make sure everything is cool.
    Thanks fellas
    -Andrew

Attached Files:

2. big creep

big creep

did they make the spacers from a solid piece of steel and or aluminum? i have seen a kit on ebay before.

3. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

I think it was aluminum, but from the shitty ass pictures, there's alot more than just a bolt hole cut out of em.

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looks great and will be strong with grade 8 bolts.

5. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

Bolts have to come out after its welded for the sway bar to go back in...still ok?

6. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Strong enough.

7. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

why dont just cut the springs

8. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

Im using the Aerostar coils, so I dont have to.

9. big creep

big creep

what year aerostar coils? or does it not matter?

10. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

you should be fine. i have the aluminum block kit. i havent installed it yet so im curious to see how yours is with the aerostar coils and blocks.

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Why weld them? They are originally riveted. I'd trust good bolts better than a bad weld, besides it's easier to revert back if they're only bolted.

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

The spacer is doing essentially the same thing as cutting your spring down another inch the problem is you will basically be riding on the snubber "Da Tinman" has this set up on his but he cut the upper area on the spring pocket and removed some material for the snubber to have more clearance. On mine I chose to "step" my lower A arms 2 1/2" so I would maintain some travel before the snubber hit.Lowering this way (shorter spring)will also cause a neg camber issue, but Jamco has new upper mounting brackets that will allow you to use shims to correct it.

13. shainerman

shainerman

That setup is fine. Im doing the blocks on mine this weekend and Im running Aerostar springs as well. No need to weld at all. Grade 8 bolts and youre fine. Big Creep you want to order Moog cc850 thats the part number, beautiful ride and lower. Im so happy with mine. Aerostar 91-95 I think. Mine were 60 bucks

14. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I forgot to post this pic here are the Aerostar springs next to a stock spring that had been sagged with a torch pretty significant difference

Attached Files:

15. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

I found the kit, couldn't I fabricate these also? I mean its just some straight L stock with a couple holes drilled in it.

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yes, they would'nt be hard to make they need to have a countersunk bolt head for clearance though

17. chop32

chop32

Im thinking he probably wants the bolts out of the way, at least the forward ones, because they will interfere with the installation of a front swaybar ('49 - '51 swaybars clamp inside the channel on the front side of the a-arm).

Note to self...read entire post before commenting...already been said!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  18. williebill

williebill

Not to hijack,but I've got a 20 year old kit from Butch to use on my Merc.Solid steel spacers,and probably USA bolts.One question,and I guess it's a stupid one.The instructions say to install the bolts from the top,which requires elongating the holes in the original pieces,to put the bolts in at an angle...
    Why does it matter which direction the bolts go?If I install them upside down,no holes need to be modified,yet the instructions stress to put them in from the top...
    Almost didn't look at the instructions,how hard can it be,yet that's what it says..
    ?????

19. chop32

chop32

Read the post directly above yours...that and the bolts would have a better chance of staying in place if the nuts loosened up and came off.

20. williebill

williebill

Doesn't interfere on a Merc,if they did,it would still interfere less with the supplied bolts running upside down,heads on the bottom,nuts on the top..

21. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

The bolts are in tension... it doesnt matter if they face down or up.
    if they come loose you will have a catastrophic accident either way..so dont worry!!

22. chop32

chop32

Evidently apples and oranges... the post was originally about a '51 Ford, and they do interfere on a Ford if used pointing up.

23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Use grade 8 bolts and nuts with locktite. Also cap off the ends of the hollow bar to make it look better and keep water out. Yes , I would tack weld the spacer to the A-Arm, etc. No need to lay a long bead.