Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Hah.....I gave up racing to raise a family..... beautiful Wife and son....soon a daughter too......then my wife decided after 7 or 8 years she wanted a divorce.....It was really no big shock as we had difficulties right from the start.

Should have stayed with racing as it cost me about 10+ years and a lot of heartache and wasted time...

Or picked a different girl !!!

How does it go?.....Live and Learn.....I did live and I did learn....It was a real hard lesson......

2. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

Back in the day I used to run 50-60 all the way around low hp 235 pontiac Bonn.
    3speed

old-old timer

3. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

Rich,
    I remember "that" Stock Circuit Race at Island because that was when I ran as an I/SA and won the final against the "PINK PANTHER" .
    My Vette had gone as fast as 12.42 on my own 12.82 record. I believe at that race in was going in the 12.50's.
    Here's a photo of it as a SS/K.
    Lou LAW

Attached Files:

4. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Lou...Your memory might be better than mine as to specific races! I do recall the Neja cars cominng to Island and the '55 winning. I thought it was the NED circuit race. Butch Yurick ran it.

We had some good races there and lots of good cars showed up. Your "Vette was a favorite. I can recall watching you run Jack Worrell in his Ford convertible. Your car was well in front in low gear but his CJ came around on the top end.......

I am pretty sure I remember we raced at York heads-up in H/S and we won that one. It was at the WCS race possibly. Joe went some rounds and we were trying to set the record earlier in the event. Greg X was not making it easy on us. We had it and he disallowed the run due to to much gas in the tank to make the min. weight. We added weight (a spare tire) made another run under the record but were out of time to back it up......

When we raced at York and Joe won, the track workers "wiped" us at the ticket booth and said we broke out! I flipped out and went up in the tower to explain there was no way we could be out as it was a headsup run.......It was corrected and were put back in and Joe eventually redlighted to a Mopar.....

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  5. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

6. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Too bad you let 'er (the car) get away. That's what happens when you let the little head do the thinking for the big one. :D I know, I know--easier said than done! Being in love, some have said, is a temporary form of insanity. All in agreement say: Yea! :)

Nay? :confused:

Pete

7. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Some recent web finds...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure if this Chevelle is a Stocker...nevertheless, it's still a cool-looking race car! (Btw, check out the fuel prices!)

[​IMG]

If any of these pix are already posted here (Banana Peel, for example), let me know and I'll remove it from this post.

Pete

8. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

I remember this race well!! Garey would have preferred to race him in the semi-final rather than the final because we felt we could "run him out". That year the final run was "no break-out" rule and we knew he could run further under than we could.

9. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

That 'Banana Peel' has all the good stuff.
    Vitar Tansmission
    M & H Tires
    Speedwin Automotive 'prepped'
    Ed Hamburger
    Definitely a 'Top Banana'
    PC

10. With the York Nostalgia show and the Beaver Springs Meet only a few weeks away I hope that many of you that are near by are making plans to attend on July 9 or 10 and then Sunday at BSD the 11th.

Dom

11. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

a few oldies.............

Attached Files:

12. biscaynes

biscaynes

'chevair' racing team '59 chev that defeated monster mash at the '65 indy nats

[​IMG]

great picts 35touring! any more? ;)

13. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Been there done that. Now what is mine is going to stay mine and I have 3 different girlfriends to play with. Its MUCH better this way.:p

14. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

yea !!!!!!:)

15. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Kid-Smallblock,
    True specs for the small-block Chevy camshaft,
    .390/.410 lift
    112 centerline
    258/269 duration (195/202 duration @ .050 lift)
    Spring Pressure, Approx. 90-100 valve closed / 200-210 valve open
    * Lots of guys would utilize a General-Kinetics cam (kind of popular around 1970)
    when they needed that extra bump for class stuff, not legal for NHRA.
    I think .447 lift / 284 duration, of course hydraulic-lifters, and/or that sneaky little Crower Cam .461 lift / 270 duration
    PC

16. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey guys--I hope to pick up my "new" motor this Saturday----WAAAAAAY behind schedule. Looks like some all-nighters coming my way. I'm still plannin' to be there in July. Until next time.....Dave.

17. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

On our wagon we ran 50 PSI in the front tires made by ABLE. Bought 'em at Lit Bros. department store in Phily. They were large diameter and very light. We called 'em "ABLE LABELS". (Grump ran 'em on his '66 Nova.) When the Stahl tires became available we used them on McMaster's 4 door after we sold the wagon. I remember Jere Stahl becoming somewhat annoyed at me when he noticed I mounted the Stahl logo on the inside. Nothing against Jere I just wanted a smoother look on the outside. Can't believe I remember stupid stuff like that after 43 years.
    Ken

18. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Great pics. The "Goldfinger" Chevelle was Bobby Brown from Fayetteville, NC. This car was later owned by former Modified racer David Surles.
    Bob Rice

19. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Wonder if this is the same Barry Hutter that raced a SS/AA Barracuda in the late 70s?
    Bob Rice

20. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Butch,
    Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I just finished scanning Mr. Bobby Warren's pictures. He doesn't have any old pics of his Junior Stockers though.
    Bob Rice

21. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Is this true for 1968 Chevrolet engine combinations?
    The 327/250HP 4-barrel was available on the Chevelle's,
    but not the Camaro's or Nova's.
    And the 350 engine was not available on the Chevelle's.
    Paul

22. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Paul...If you go to the NHRA.com website and find the Competition drop down menu you can look at all the car and engine combos that they have on the books. Under engine blueprint specs....all the engine specs are there and under car classification are the various body styles and engines available.

My '68 Chevy II was a 350/295 Q-jet 4 speed.....The only 327 I see listed for that car is a 327/325 HP. The 327/250 was a little odd. Heads were small valve, bigger chambers and lower compression than the 350.

P.S. Stock valve springs on a 350 hyd cam had about 85lbs of seat pressure. Only the Hi Perf springs were at 100 on the seat..... on the Z/28's. We killed quite a few of those stock springs......One missed gear and they were usually down some....

23. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

"The 327/250 was a little odd. Heads were small valve, bigger chambers and lower compression than the 350"

True enough but, if my memory serves me (questionable), if you did the math the compression ratio worked out to be somewhere around 10:1.

If you got out of the mindset of small block Chevy MUST scream, I proved that combination could work. Nobody ever believed me when I told them how I set it up. Shift at 6000, 32 degrees total timing, small diameter collectors, Streetmaster manifold, etc.

Skip Asay

24. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

Here's the 'current" IHRA Stocker of Shelby Hurley, Mardela Springs MD, '55 BelAir (P/SA).

265" - WCFB - Powerglide and it's definitely look'n the part of a TRUE Jr.Stocker... Way F'n Cool!!!

Larry

(photo by Lew Silverman)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  25. biscaynes

biscaynes

found the pict, '65 indy stock final round....

[​IMG]

26. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

True,,,,,The 327/250 HP engine for 68 was a 1 year only combo like the 350/255 in 69. The 68 327 used a larger chamber head (lower compression) with small 1.72 intake valves. Skip Asay used to kick butt with his Chevelle Convert. in stock with that combo. The street master intake he refered to in his post was AFTER the rules all went to Super Stock in 1972.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  27. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Ken & Skip,

Good to see you guy still hanging around. Hope you make it to York. It would be nice to contact John Archambault and get him to attend as well.

Anybody heard how Doug Mentzer is doing?

28. running bear

running bear

dave,,,, it's an oldsmobile,,, it's easy,,, are you building this like a chevy or an olds????

29. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

It is interesting that nobody has identified this car

Attached Files:

30. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Tony the Grenade,
    Tim Ekstrand, out of Santa Paula, California. 'Steve Love Chrysler-Plymouth'
    1968 440/375HP 'GTX', classed in D/SA.
    Set alot of California D/SA track records in 68' and 69'
    Later converted it to a 69 1/2' 440/390HP Six-barrel Road Runner with lift-off hood.
    Got help from Bob Lambeck.
    He put on all the proper Road Runner Six-barrel badging and body trim, to make it NHRA-legal.
    Ran it in SS/GA.
    Paul

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010