Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 50 Pontiac Coupe Chop!!! tons of pics

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Flop, Feb 1, 2008.

1. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

2. Flop

Flop

ok so photobucket is a mess right now since i signed up for pro with more bandwith....

so i have to use the g/fs...imagine that pay for sumthin and it goes to shit..

so got the 51 merc bumper where i want it..and another good use for the caps from your welding tanks

[​IMG]

so gota a real nice gap for a pan..real nice shape in my opinion
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres the only part that seems weird to me like the edge of the bumper needs to move forward like an inch so a little more of the little fender piece will show

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

opinions please

and sorry for all the bullshit posts for the past hour

3. Leon

Leon

How does the gap up front look if you slide the bumper back where the ends are even with the fender edge?

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Flop,
    My photoshop skills leave something to be desired, but I think you can get the idea here. Curve the fender to blend with the bumper and drop the ribbed section of the grill to fill the gap.

[​IMG]

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

To any normal person I would say leave it where it is because it looks great. But since you're you, and I know how you loooove details, section an inch out of the corner of the bumper piece to show more fender and leave the gap for the pan alone. Whatcha think?

And then french the headlights. :D

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I agree the fender lip needs to show. If it were me I would suck the bumper in and then take an inch or two out of the ends to show the fender line.

7. I agree that the bumper needs to go back a bit...from the side, with the stock headlights it has a bit of an underbite...
    [​IMG]
    I know you really want to keep some chrome around the headlights, but to my eye, they are just begging to for something along the line of a mid-1950's Olds or Buick. That would be a happy medium between the french/no french debate. I know how you're a stickler for details, so you'll sort it out one way or another...but that's one opinion...

8. Flop

Flop

thanks for all the help and photoshops and thoughts.. i did some lookin at chevys with merc bumpers (BASS) ESPECIALY on the fastback, and bumpers in general and im diggin pushin the bumper back some and makin it even with the fender lip it keeps a continuous line and flow flow flow.

[​IMG]

then i dont have to get into any cuttin of the bumper either still gonna have to shave the bolt holes to match the caddy bumper with no bolt holes in the back

9. 55-56 Olds Buick headlights for sure.

10. 62rebel

62rebel

i just recently caught this thread and Flop you are the MAN. i strive to achieve your ability in ANY way. this car is evolving from a highpockets granddad's car to the cool machine...... all under your efforts.

this is what the HAMB means.

11. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

And now it's For Sale ?!

Damn, I was really hoping to see this one done and in shiny paint.

-Aaron

12. Whaaaat!!!??? Damn it - I wanted to see this done too.

13. billys54

billys54

I wanted to see it done to. He's done so much not to finish it.

14. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Me too! We all need to give him a confidence booster and get him back in the spirit!!!!

You can do it Flop!!!!!

15. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

Is this true???? DONT GIVE UP NOW!!!!! that is gunna be a WICKED Kustom one day!!!

16. Flop

Flop

Appreciate it guys...just seems everytime I touch it it blows up into a huge mess which before was a perfect panel etc..there is only a little more then a months worth or metal work to go on it..hood dash decklid bracing front bumper pan..I just need someone on my level here to bust my balls one of pittsburghs downfalls.. well I shall keep ya posted guys...thanks again

17. fisher_man_matt

fisher_man_matt

I really hope you reconsider selling your car. I'm afraid you'll end up regretting it later. Take a break and do something fun. Maybe make something for the Friday Art Show. You've come way to far to let it all go now.

18. I hear ya.
    The only thing saving me right now is setting my standards lower.

Don't get me wrong, you do some outstanding work from what I see.

What I'm getting at is:
    I've tried my best to strive for the quality of your work.
    I think I failed at reaching 1/2 of your quality.
    After a few beers, I set my standards lower and drink another beer.

In reality, my plan is to drive the wheels off mine, which means it will get door dings and rock chips (knocks on wood) but hopefully no major accidents.
    So, what does a little bit more filler, or a bit of a crooked door gap mean in the long run....... not a hill of beans.

One of my Dad's sayings "a man on a slow horse couldn't see that"

Best of luck to ya!
    Thom

19. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I read that as, "Bill, text me every wknd and break my balls to make sure it gets done!" Roger that, boss. I'm telling you, we need to swap projects. Chop my shoebox and I'll finish up the Poncho! Oh and fix all the rot on my Fairlane too please... even trade?????? :D

20. Good Stuff going on here, you make things look like they ought to. NICE !!!
    firstnomad

21. Yichoke

Yichoke

Here's another idea for the center bar. '51-'52 Packard signal lights. Fits the curve of the grill surround well.

Attached Files:

22. Yichoke

Yichoke

Those Packard signals still might look a little too Chevy stock. How 'bout '63 Grand Prix signals?

Attached Files:

23. Do it Bill. He needs to finish this car.

Flop do you really want Bill bugging you every week? I don't think so.:D

24. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

its lookin pretty bitchin you dont see to many coupes chopped since the barris brothers.

25. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

yoh Flop

did you fall and can't reach your grinder weldr

lolol

keep the updates coming

this car rocks

and gives me a kick in the ass to get moving on mine:eek:

26. PoPo

PoPo

Hey man, You talked me out of selling my Model A because "SOMEDAY" i will get to it. You can't sell it man. Why would I ever have a reason to come to PA again? ok besides the philly sandwiches but I can't think of any other reasons.

27. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

finish it man

you know you wannt tooooooooooooooooooo:D

28. poorboy

poorboy

it'd be awesome to see you finish it, but its your car so do what you want

29. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

He worked on it today! He worked on it today! All it took was me spamming his Facebook page all day with messages of... err... encouragement... :rolleyes:

30. I´m happy to hear that! This is going to be such a cool car.