Register now to get rid of these ads!

whaddahellaredey? GM HUBCAP I.D.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LIL.TIMMYUser Name, Apr 26, 2010.

1. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

:confused:picked these up cause they caught my eye(SHINY!) small dog-dish type, not full wheelcovers. can't recall ever seeing this "stars and bar" style before. they were in an old GM box with "group no. 5.871 part no. 568094" is this a correct number for these caps? what years fitment? thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. mosthumanmofo

mosthumanmofo

possibly Holden? Really cool though.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Darn those are spacey! The part number 568094 in Group 5.871 is too low a number for my 29-54 Chevrolet parts book.
    I'm thinking those numbers are GMC or Olds/Pontiac/Buick/Cadillac, not Chevy.
    I'm thinking GMC truck, suburban, van...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They might be and aftermarket "replacement" hubcap. JC Whitney among others used to sell replacement caps that "almost" looked like the originals.

Very close to 54/55 Olds though.

5. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

hadn't even thought of that! could be.

6. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

yeah, kinda cool looking for sure. won't clip into my "WHEEL VINTIQUES" ford repops, just slightly too small.

7. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

"very close" you say, i'll see if i can find some pictures. pretty nice construction on this set. could be aftermarket though.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

They'll likely fit GM wheels only.

9. I don't recall ever seeing them on a Holden (Australian GM) and wonder if they're not an aftermarket accessory that is supposed to approximate an Olds hubcap? It has that kind of look about it.

10. akaupp

akaupp

11. Hmm, from the construction I was going to say 1960 or older and the bar across reminds me of the '50s Olds logo. Then I scroll down and see I'm pretty close to right.

Those are neat caps, but they'll only fit the GM wheels with the clip-type attachment.

12. RichG

RichG

'54-'55 Olds

13. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

thats a good gm number, but it appears to be for the large full wheel-covers. i'm thinking someone up-graded from these small caps and just threw 'em in the old box.

14. GasserBastards

GasserBastards
    from oklahoma

'56 olds, stars and bars, im fairly sure

15. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

thanks for the reply! it's oldsmobile all right. just trying to figure the exact application. turns out the must have been on a new car, then swappe-out for the full wheel-cover style. thats what the number on the box is.

16. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

just to be clear, these are most likely removed from a 56 olds. we have the # for full wheel-covers, but i could use the correct part number for these.

17. I'd be suspicious that the part # goes with that cap.

GM parts group 5.871 tends to be for wheel trim rings. Group 5.858 would be for wheel covers and center caps.

Good looking caps though, just don't look kosher for GM originals. Maybe some kind of an old "Sid Savage" replacement cap.

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I thought 55 Olds, but will go along with 56. One of my favorite "poverty caps" May have had "beauty rings", but not necessarily.

19. Rqketman

Rqketman

Sold... Thanks Tim, The 1956 Oldsmobile hub caps are great!! :D Kurt