Register now to get rid of these ads!

Billetproof Texas June 5-6, 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Choptop, May 10, 2010.

1. Effin Wise Guy

Effin Wise Guy
    from TX

took the family put there to day....sad to say i was dissapointed...last year was a real good show...maybe tommorows show will differ....we did stop at some vendors and bought a lot of things though

2. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Stay safe!!!!!!!

3. Choptop

Choptop

I will indeed. Sorry you were disappointed. Had you turned around and taken the same picture you would have seen quite a car show... some South LA and East Texas Racing history...had you stayed later there were indeed more cars that came in... as well as good music played by living legends. But if ya had to leave early, I understand. Thanks for supporting the show.

4. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

It was a good show for having a low turnout. Weather was better than last year. Food was better than last year.

5. Screenz

Screenz
    from Texas city

Had fun but think I'll pass from now on, I was at the show the only music I heard was from my club brothers car. We were about to leave and heard Junior Brown was playing, went and watched him at Merc C's booth for a little while. Just wasnt much going on at ALL. Honky is playing today we thought they were playing yesterday. O well the ride up and back was badass Spending the weekend with the HH family was awesome in La Grange IMO I went to the first and last Billetproof Texas last year!

6. GonzoSS

GonzoSS

Had to head back to Dallas early. How was today's swapmeet? Anything good?

Hey screenz great looking car!!! You and the red caddy was great photo op!!!

7. *HOLLYWOOD*53

*HOLLYWOOD*53

i think the rain scared off some people. the ride up there sat moring was awsome. it looked like it was going to pour rain but cleared up. Like screenz said not much going on. Had high expectation for this show

8. ugotpk

ugotpk

The wasington show was awsome last year. Can't wait for it again this year.. UGOTPK

9. RAY With

RAY With

Well we took out early Saturday morning and ran into a lot of guys on the hiway headed to the show. When we got there the line wasn't to bad and it was short on cars in comparison to last year but we had a good time. There were at least 3 other shows in the Houston and surrounding area which most likely caused some car shortage but over all we had fun and ate some good food.Later on many more cars got there a little late but added to the event. We will be at the next show to help support it and looking forward to the next Texas event.

10. BELLM

BELLM

This was a big graduation weekend, might have affected show. Couldn't go Saturday, went for a few hours today, saw some friends, saw my old T coupe, had a good time. Hope this isn't the last year, car shows or any other event are what you make them, you can choose to have a good time and enjoy it or not, I enjoy! Thanks for putting on the show!

11. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Went w/ the family today. No charge to get in was pretty sweet. Had a nice time and stopped for some BBQ afterwards.:D

I agree w/ BELLM. I hope this isn't the last Billetproof in Texas. If it's possible maybe next years show can be somewhere in between Austin & Dallas.

12. Choptop

Choptop

Thanks to all for coming out. It was indeed smaller than last year but lets put this in perspective shall we?

Billetproof Texas 2009 was 2nd in size only to the Roundup when it came to traditional hot rod shows in Texas.

Billetproof Texas 2010 was smaller than 2009.. but still second in size only to the Roundup when it comes to traditional hot rod shows in Texas.

not too bad in my book. :D

and certainly not any reason to predict its demise.

we are looking at what have made the turnout low... lots to consider. I do know we will go back to a one day format next year... which isnt a bad thing at all. There will be much more to do in that one day and I think it will make for a better experience for all.

13. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

yea im sure a number of factors affected the show - chance of rain, heat, there being another show less than 30 minutes away at lake somerville, graduation, and also being just 2 months after roundup - i know there alot of vehicles that attended round up and didnt go to billet proof even thou they are in austin area.

14. Choptop, we had a very good time again this year. Put it on again and we'll come again. I love traditional shows like this one and don't get to go to enough of them. Most of the Austin are clubs were either not there at all or barely had any cars there. I have no idea what the deal is with that.

15. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

150 cars or 1500 cars, doesn't matter. The sun was out, the PBR was cold, and there was good people there. I'll be back next year, I had a good time.

16. david363

david363
    from Texas

Thanks Billetproof and your entire staff for your effort,we had a great time and we will attend next year.

17. NIGHT-CRAWER

NIGHT-CRAWER

I enjoyed the show..had a good time..put down some beers and got away from all the bullshit back home-thanks,hope to be there next year..vicks

18. 210Spencer

210Spencer

I didn't get to go his year but I hope it continues on; you can never have too much fun!

19. yep...figure in all that was going on this weekend....glad there still was a show of people and good times....and to think...no one bitched about no parking...

20. roadster-racer

roadster-racer
    from Austin, TX

Thanks to Alan and the Billetproof staff for another great show. The Texas Timing Association cars who were there to put on the cacklefest really enjoyed the event and all the people who crowded around to hear the roar and smell the nitro of our racing engines. I know that scheduling the show on what was graduation weekend for many people hurt the size of the turn-out, but certainly not the quality.

TTA was proud to have the old survivor Pel State Drag Strip timing truck from the 1950's there in all it's shabby splendor as part of our display. It won the Best Truck award at Billetproof this year, maintaining the fine tradition begun by TTA racer Loyd Harlan who won Best in Show last year in his old unrestored highboy Model A roadster that he races with TTA.

Please don't get on a negative trip about Billetproof. I know there are some people who seem to enjoy vomiting out all their bad feelings on-line. Personally, I'm sure not gonna let some petty griper spoil one of the most fun days of the year for me. So what if the car count was down a little because of graduation this year. I'll betcha Billetproof will be bigger and better next year. TTA will be there for sure, and we'd sure hate for you to miss the good time we're all gonna have.

21. Freeland

Freeland

Amen, I had a blast bringing my two little ones (5 and 2), hope to bring them next year... loved seeing the excitement in my sons eyes as he saw and heard all the "vrooms" and pointing at everything he liked...

This time last year I was being shot at in Iraq, and facing divorce when I got home... so this was my first experience with Billetproof and can't wait to have that "good time" again next year... sure beat mowing the lawn...

22. Anderson

Anderson

Really? Thats a pretty heavy statement. Bigger than Pistons & Paint?

The pictures from last year made it look smaller than PnP to begin with, and with a third (or half, I've heard both) the number of cars there this year, you have got to be kidding me. Quantity is really not an issue either as far as I'm concerned, but quality is. You can have a 200 car show but if 150 are rat rods, who cares how many cars show up? Not saying thats what was at the show, just an example.

Two major things against BP TX.....it's in the middle of nowhere, and its in June. HOT....with no shade. That is what keeps me away. I was actually in the area yesterday and had planned to stop by. But with the mediocre reviews seen here and elsewhere, I figured there wouldn't be anyone there at all on Sunday so I just went home.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  23. Sorry that I didn't make it on Saturday(had a Stearman Fly In to go to....decisions, decisions...dang:rolleyes:).....sooo I decided to come by air on Sunday, and had Bill Slauson pick me up in his 37 Chevy(ya know if you gotta show up, it ought to be in a Hot Rod!:D)....and yea, it was real slow moving with few folks left, but as usual we made the best of our time and enjoyed visiting with some folks.

For some reason the 2 day events(Sat/Sun) just don't seem to work out....for instance DOTD....It does seem to work for a big blowout on Friday Night and then "THE" Event on Saturday....that might be what would work for Billetproof.

I'll sure try to support it next year.....if the dates don't conflict with the Biplane Event.

24. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

RICHARD D. damn man take a CHILL PILL! HA!...POP.

25. Your efforts were very much appreciated by 99.99% of the people. Thanks for all the hard work and look forward to 2011. It's all about the atmosphere and being around all the old rides is it not? These complaints must be coming from whoever was driving that car with the Obama sticker on it. LOL! kidding kidding...

26. phukinartie

phukinartie

The Billetproof show in chehalis was the best show I went to last year!! I cant wait till this year... Texas don't know what they are Missing!!

27. eliguzman

eliguzman

I think billetproof should be a one day show, with lots of MUSIC (ALL DAY). sure wish we could have made it out on Sunday but had to head back to Houston. Thanks to all that put on the show. Special thanks to Danine and the boys for working the gate, i know it was hot.

28. Choptop

Choptop

First year was right at 300 cars, this year was right at 200 cars...

150 were not rat rods, nor was I trying to compare quality of one show to another, nor put down any other show. Just saying that some were gnashing teeth over the "small" turnout, when in reality its one of the largest traditional hot rod shows in the state (with the exception of Lone Star being the granddaddy show).

no offense intended..

Shade? Lots of it. Look at the pictures. Granted the entire show isnt in the shade... but then again, neither are other shows in TX.

I havent seen any medicore reviews... I've seen two kinds... GREAT reviews and 2-3 that hated the show. Those that had a ball watching the burnouts, had fun at the cackle fest, loved Junior Brown-Mahalo Combo-Honky and enjoyed the hot rods...

and those that despite all of those things couldnt find a way to have a good time....

oh yes... and guy from California that didnt come to the show but still somehow didnt like it :D

all in all the people that were there had a ball, there were a few that didnt... I really dont know what to tell them.
    The phrase: "well that sucked" was not heard from anyone walking away from:
    The Burnout contest
    The Vendors row
    The cold beer served up by the volunteer firemen
    The rows of hot rods and customs
    listening to Mahalo Combo play
    listening to Junior Brown play
    hanging out and BBQ'ing with friends
    talking to other hot rod and custom owners and swapping build/driving/racing stories...

So I really dont get how some are coming to the conclusion that the show was "bad"... its a head scratcher.

Were there fewer cars than last year? Yes....... so? There were still plenty to keep ya busy, and as many if not more than other shows in Texas... just not as many as the year before.

here is a hint, you can still have fun at a car show if it isnt bigger than the previous year... trust me, I'm a pro at this kind of stuff. :D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  29. Choptop

Choptop

Next year it will be one day.... Hey, how about a biplane event in Giddings? :D there is an airport right down the road...

30. Well, here is my mediocre review:

Numbers were down, and I was thinking about your marketing approach... Granted the Billetproof brand is recognizable in our hobby, but maybe it doesn't have the power here in Texas that it does on the west coast. Successful events become that way because there are locals promoting the crap out of it at every other event for a year previous. Maybe since you live in Cali, this is difficult, but getting a host club with some state wide BP reps to get the word out. Local examples that have done well is THEM Invasion, Pistons and Paint, Texas Thaw, Manifolds on Main, Lonestar Roundup, and most recently the Texas Nostalgia nationals. These are local guys who don't have a big brand name, and have no other choice but to get out and invite everyone and their brother and put fliers (selectively) in cars they want at their show.

I'm really trying to be constructive here, stick with me...

A few suggestions:

Better promotion in Texas with Locals. (If I wasn't on the HAMB, I wouldn't have known about it.)

Consider backing the date up into May, nicer weather was only a couple weeks ago.

Location? The verdict is out on this one. If it wasn't as hot I wouldn't have minded the 6 hour drive so much. But it is kinda in the middle of nowhere's-ville.

One day, with the Swap meet on the same day.

A little better training with the host club... (okay, this might be nitpicky) but when i drove up they didn't say hi, how are ya, thanks for coming or even a go to hell. Just "$35 please" and they didn't even tell me where to go, I kinda wondered around into a dead end before I knew where it might be ok to park..

I hope this is helpful. I do hope that you have continued success with your events.