Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's a good 'beginning welder"?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by howco, Jun 6, 2010.

1. TIG is very much like gas. I have the foot pedal so imagine it as controlling the heat with how far your foot is depressed. When you get the hang of it, it feels like butter. But I think we just went and hijacked this fellas thread.

Definately MIG for beginner. Miller has that one that is pretty much turn on a point and you're welding. Find the best for you budget. No real magic to welding. Listen for bacon sizzling (as some say), make sure you don't undercut the weld, and look for penetration...but not too much. It's all about practice.

2. I'm looking to get started welding also and this O/A setup is available for $75. It's a Victory brand. Any good?

Attached Files:

3. tomkat

tomkat
    from new jersey

i have a henrob. they are expensive for what they are. the soft flame is nice. dont get fooled from the videos of the henrob. the skill level of the user has something to do with its operation. you can get simular results with a small torch set up. tom

4. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I bought a Harbor Freight unit and it stitch and spot welds like nobodys business. That's all I need and thankfully I didn't waste a bunch of money on something bigger that I didn't need.

5. tomkat

tomkat
    from new jersey

go for that set up. you cant go wrong. tom

6. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Before you buy a welder, learn how to weld. Take a course or find a friend or a club, use as many different machines as you can, get good at it, use a torch, learn to braze learn how to properly wire feed, which in most cases includes pre heating and temper cooling, learn to shield stick weld learn to shield gas weld, learn to gas weld. Master this before you buy a machine, this way you will be a good educated consumer who knows all the gear he needs to be a great welder and not just a hole burner who is flash burning his retinas. Potato juice, drip it in like visine, buy the best welding helmet you can and understand and maintain it or you will damage you vision.

7. I'm not familiar with the brand but I notice you're in Canada so I don't know if it's regional, y'know? It could be a real good brand, but personally I haven't heard of it...but I'm nobody.:D

Never-the-less, Fransico Plumbero speaks gospel!!

EDIT: Could they be Victor? If so that would be a deal. Still, if the torch is decent and you can find some tanks on the cheap...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  8. howco

howco

Thank you, thank you, thank you, now I have something to chew on for a while.
    I do not feel this thread was highjacked, i am learning, it's all good.

9. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

just dont get a flux core body work is damn near impossible and forget about chassis fabrication. A 25% carbon dioxide and 75% argon is the way to go.

10. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

oxy acetylene. cuts and welds. does steel and aluminum. portable, no wiring. slight chance of blowing up the garage. take a class, never loan it out. .02

11. gsport

gsport

my vote for sure is the miller 211 with autoset.. i picked one up in january after selling my cheap ole clark welder, and couldn't be happier.. it sure makes me look alot better than i know i am... and it's 110 or 220 with just the change of the plug end..

12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are a "beginning welder"---Here's some advise from an old retired welder that was a "beginner" in 1951.
    1. To call yourself a welder, learn from someone that knows the ropes in that field.
    2. As mentioned before, either get a job at a fab shop that specializes in all forms of welding, oxy/acet. welding & brazing with a torch (Victor equipt.), cutting with a torch attachment, stick welding, mig welding, tig welding, for a rounded out education in the welding field.
    3. Faster you say?---Then take a course in beginning welding at your local community college, there, you will not only learn the basics of welding, but become confident in knowing how to set gauges for different uses, & important settings on the different electric welders.
    4. In my experience over the years, you can never have the capability of having to much power in welding machines, trying to make a 110 unit do the job that requires a 220 unit will always make you frustrated in making the wrong choice at the beginning.
    5.In starting to weld, I would recommend oxy/acet. for learning all about heat & control of it with the torch. use some 16 ga. mild steel squares 4X4 & practice using filler rod with squares at 90 degree angle, when good at that, lay one square half over the other & practice to desired level.
    6.Repeat the above using 1/4 plates, now you will understand why you can't use one welding tip for all applications!---So you must use a larger welding tip for pre heat & welding will be slower on the thicker metal.
    7. This becomes self explaining about the difference in a 110 & 120 welder machine.
    8. Have patience in learning, NOBODY learns how to weld overnight!
    9. You are presented with 2 eyes at birth, so protect them by using the right safety equipt. both in welding & GRINDING.
    10. In closing, all I can say is practice-practice-practice-& you will be amazed at the final results for a "BEGINNING WELDER"--------Don

13. howco

howco

I'm amazed, thank you HAMB'ers.........

14. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Easy. Get something cheap and used. I bought a lincoln with a mig bottle and nice helmet for around $225 from a craigslist ad.

When you decide you want/need something else just sell it and trade up.