Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 331small block ford 462.6hp on pump gass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heavytlc, Jun 6, 2010.

1. heavytlc

heavytlc

We ran the new 331 ford yesterday. This was a solid built street engine. 10.2to1 compression,Malhe coated pistons, hbeam rods, forged crank, out of the box cnc ported pro action aluminum heads, 1.6 roller rocker, Edelbrock Victor jr intake, 650 holley carb. Using LAT break in oil. We made 30 pulls, changed a few things, ran 108 leaded race gas for break in, finished with 93 octane exxon unleaded pump gas.

A 1" four hole cab spacer picked up 10 hp and 10 foot lbs of torque. It was a very happy engine, idles nice at 800-900rpm, starts like a stock engine. There was a little more power to get, but it will move the 1963 fairlane very well. With a change to LAT racing oil over the break in oil there would be a 7-10horse power jump, but I was not looking for numbers, so it is what it is.

It was cool when we picked up almost 10 horse power on the pump gas, not sure how much we would have gained on unleaded 108, it took 68 jets on leaded, and 76 jets on 93 unleaded. When I get to work I will scan the Dyno sheet.

I would like to Thank Lee Schwartz, Paul and Ben Barnes. We had a great time, and everything worked. It was a Great day on the Dyno.

Attached Files:

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

3. heavytlc

heavytlc

I forgot about the 399.1 foot lbs of torque:D

4. 52studegasser

52studegasser
    from Mebane, NC

Awesome to see a Ford making good power in the Carolina's! So I see the parts list, but you left out the second most important fact. Heads are a big key to making power, but what cam are you running?

Only reason I ask is because for the 52 Studebaker gasser I'm building I'm going back with Ford power and had contemplated doing a 306 or 331 with a turbo. So less compression, just wondering how tight the LSA was on the cam used for this build.

Great work and what looks like a simple repeatable recipe.

5. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

What is your thoughts on the 1 inch 4 hole spacer picking up the power? Do you think it helped atomize the fuel better befor going into the intake itself?

Thanks
    Jon

6. heavytlc

heavytlc

Hi flow 1 intake, high flow 2 exhaust. It is all Lee Schwartz of Flow Tech "heads and engines" handy work. There are a few small tricks that Lee has in this engine, but it is a very repeatable build. He is great friend of mine. He has built four other engines for me, and is working on 3 more.

The engine will be a little under stalled, with a bit less gear than it needs to run 100%
    I am running a built c4 automatic, no overdrive. Still have not decided if I am building a Junkyard Explorer 8.8, or a new 9". The 8.8axle is closer to the rest of the budget, CHEAP... With a little mix and match, I can have a 31 spline, 3.55 gear limited slip rear, all fresh for under $800

I am driving the car to Bonneville in August, and hitting the Hamb Drags on the way home. I think we hit the goal of a Bad little street engine, that can have fun and okay times at the track.

7. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

Very impressive. If you could I would really like to see the spec's on the cam? I've never heard of pro action before, maybe I should check them out! Thanks for posting

8. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Thats a nice mill you got there, any video od the dyno pulls. Is this going on a 4 speed car?

9. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

what kind of RPMs?

10. heavytlc

heavytlc

We never tried the 1.5" open spacer. I know we could make more peak power with it, but it would loose torque. The four hole needed more fuel, but we were still making jet changes when we put it on.. I assume it helped straiten the air fuel mixture, and gave a stronger signal to the carb.

The difference in the fuels was very interseting. Specefic Gravity of fuel, octane numbers. It all makes sense when you think about it.

We were have a few cold beers afterward and doing a little bench racing. Smaller diameter valves, shims, or bigger springs and we could have made bigger numbers. It just started to float the valves at 6900rpms. We pulled from 4500-7000rpms. I will scan the sheet.

11. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Stout combination. Well done; thanks for posting.

12. heavytlc

heavytlc

no video, just Iphone pics. The mufflers on the back of the Dyno cell are 4+feet in diameter, at least 10 feet tall. So very little cool sound.

Built C4 with an ultra bell.

13. heavytlc

heavytlc

242° IN @.50 .544 lift 108° lobe center
    246° EX @.50

Or Close;)

14. heavytlc

heavytlc

Last run. It was Ben Barnes Dyno, Lee Schwartz built the engine.

Attached Files:

15. Deuces

Deuces

My Windsor has a .542" cam with the 1.72 rockers.. Total lift is .583" intake and exhaust.

16. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

Thanks!!!! Pretty close to the stick I'm putting in my 306. 244*(in/ex)@.050", .512" lift in/ex, 106*lobe center angle. A little too aggressive for the street but it should work pretty good.

17. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

HEAVYTLC...MR. that's no street engine, very few people have the h beam rods or the big valve aluminum heads. and brother that little PISSANT carb is just starving your mill. come-on hotrod drop a 1050 or 1150 holly on that manifold, and realy get in the game. can you say 600 to 650 h.p. O YEA...POP.

18. heavytlc

heavytlc

Holeshot look at the bsfc, and air/fuel ratio. It is very happy with the650cfm 4150hp holley, and it is not box stock by the way. Yes it is my street engine, and will be driving to Bonneville, and the Hamb Drags on the way home, might even run the 1/4mile at Mokan.
    I ordered all the mandrel bends, and bits and pieces for the new exhaust. The headers will be back from coating next week. The torque converter will be done Friday. It will be on the road in the next 10 days. I will be working on the new rear axle after I get it up and running in the Fairlane. The rear end will live fine for now, it has no traction....yet