Register now to get rid of these ads!

When the Big M ruled the road...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 3, 2010.

1. that is too bad to see merc go.. but i can see why merc's are just re-badged fords nowadays anywhoo.. just like when oldsmobile went bye bye. same with plymouth. but personally with the exception of a few cars / trucks none of the manufactures have produced anything interesting since the early 70's

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely true Jive-Bomber, the iconic kustom car, the '49-51.

How about the dominant late 60's and early 70's Woods Brothers Mercurys? Surely they merit a spot in the brands' cultural heritage.
    Cale Yarborough dominating Atlanta in '68 and '69 in the Woods Bros. Mercury surely impressed this 15 and 16 year old, although when you say Woods Bros. Merc most everyone thinks "David Pearson".

And, of course, this was back in the day when it really was a Mercury, not a template-driven clone with decals.

[​IMG]

3. ...and isn't it sad that the Marauder was pretty much blown away in most respects by the Impala SS that died in '96? I'm not starting a Chev v. FoMoCo argument here...but I think it shows just how little real effort went into Mercury for the last decade.

I had a Crown Vic Police Interceptor for a little while, and I loved it. But it's night and day difference compared to the Dodge Magnum I drive now (also rear drive, perhaps arguably an American car) - the Magnum wins for quiet, economy, ride, and handling.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Mercury isn't dead, not as long as you guys still love her. As several have pointed out anyway, all the best Mercuries had already been made.

I still would have liked to buy a new Grand Marquis, though.

-Dave

5. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

6. Mwercometman

Mwercometman
    from Concord,AR

I hate to lose the Mercury brand but it really doesn't make sense to just rebadge,swap grilles and taillights.In the times we live in ,It looks like Ford is looking at ways to stay alive and in the black.Too bad our government won't watch and learn.
    In the old days up through the 60s,Mercury was its own car,longer wheeelbase,upgraded engines,nicer interior.I am pretty sure this will help the late model Marauder to rise in value,not sure if it will help the older cars any. Just my 2 cents

7. Damn,,,,I love that wine colored Cougar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sweeeeeeeettttt

8. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

The real mercs never wouldve made it past today's windtunnel tests, thank God...

Attached Files: