Register now to get rid of these ads!

How does everyone keep critters out of their shops???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkledaddy, Jun 4, 2010.

1. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I've tried almost everything to keep spiders, bugs, crawlies, and what seems like hundreds of other critters out of my shop.......to no avail. Everything wants in my shop to weave cobwebs, lay eggs, shit, and generally make a freakin' mess that requires constant cleaning.

The last thing I sprayed around all the doors, thresholds and weatherstripping was guaranteed to last 3 months, yet there were spiders crawling through it while I was spraying. WTF??

What are y'all using that works??

"Build it and they will come!"

2. 56 Rum Runner

56 Rum Runner
    from Missouri

I use Ortho Home Defense. I spray it around all openings and along the ground in front of the doors and overhead. It seems to work great for me. I also have one of those devices that you plug into an outlet to ward off insects. Its supposed to emit a frequency that they don't like. I had it before I started spraying and I dont think it worked that great by itself. Good luck.

3. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I actually prefer to find them in the shop rather than the house... I do try to kill all the mice in the shop so they never get to the house where they would cause my wife great distress.

4. Deuces

Deuces

A couple of bug bombs wouldn't hurt.

5. DMC

DMC
    from SC

Yeah, I would like to know what works too! If I walk through another spider web I'm going to gouge my eyes out with a couple of rusty forks. Seriously, I spend at least a hour every time I go in my shop cleaning up, killing ants, getting snakes out, killing spiders, and getting those white tip shitting lizards out! Oh, don't forget the damn toads and an occasional mouse. It's rough living in the country.

6. DrJ

DrJ

Around here we used to have garden spiders and a few Black Widows. Now ALL we have is Brown Widows and they are taking over everything, and they leave egg sacks that look like furry garbanzo beans!
    Also, last week the Sand/Cat fleas hatched in the garage and I've set off two bombs last night and this morning and it doesn't even phase them.
    I think I'm going to sprinkle a jar of Boric acid powder around the garage but then I'll have to clean it up so I don't track it inside the house and hurt my house cats.
    I put Advantage on the cats and everything they touch for about a month gets bug-exterminated.

7. Deuces

Deuces

I got a killer kitten that goes after everything.... Here's his second big kill that he nabbed last night... The standard size BIC lighter is there for scale.

Attached Files:

8. The Hitch Hiker

The Hitch Hiker

Got to be better than spraying chemicals about the workshop to breathe in. We get enough of that with petrol, paint and all the other automotive nastys...

Plus you get a kitten:D

9. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Critters you say?:eek:

[​IMG]

10. aaggie

aaggie

Spiders were my biggest concern. I swept up all the webs and blew out the shop with an air hose then sprayed the gallon jug of Ortho Home Defense around the perimeter and doors. Inside and out and I haven't seen any come back in the last two weeks.

11. DrJ

DrJ

Yea, a kitten with hanta virus, rabies or the plague...:eek:

12. Buckster

Buckster

I was told at a Do It Yourself Pest Control store that nothing kills spiders long term. I sprayed a solution (Demon WP) that kills ants, roaches, & crickets. It worked on spiders for about 6 months.

13. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, the little guy (8 months old) likes to spend the evenings outside.... Guess he loves bringing me presents whenever he can. :eek: :D

14. Deuces

Deuces

He's up to speed with all of his shots...

15. Jeff J

Jeff J

The problem with daddy long legs as they don't clean themselves so they dont lick the poison !! I use my shop vac and it seems to work !!

AK47 works the best!!!!!

16. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

If it wasn't for Rachael Carlson I could use DDT and get back to work.

Is Billy The Exterminator a HAMBER?

The Demon WP sounds like a winner at 6 months. I need some relief!

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Spiders are your friend. They prey on fleas, ticks, mites, and other things more hazardous to your health.

For mice, a couple of bull snakes are better than a half-dozen cats. Cats only catch the foolish mice...........

Inside the cars, moth balls seem to keep out EVERYBODY!

18. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I no longer provide preminum beer, in fact, I serve no alcohol!

What, you wern't talkin' humans?

" The very core of fanaticism is its indifference to things of the mind "

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You worry about bugs? i have racoons, opossums, and such in my place. Once I came home to find a Mallard in the shop. I have a cat and a cat door. But a lot of those guys just don't respect that it's a "CAT" door.

20. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

They may be my friends, but I'm tired of dealing with their mess.

21. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I'm not worried, just tired of dealing with it. There must be something I can spray that'll work.

As for you, I'd say you've got an easy fix.

22. 61bone

61bone

Maybe if you wrote "Cats Only" on it.

23. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

funny this comes up today.yesterday i walk in my garage and i see/hear something to my left.i have no pets,sooooooo i watch for a moment and i see a black streak heading towards me and the door. uhoh what the hell is this critter,it cuts behind my toolbox,i draw my leg back steeltoe boots on you know.i'm fixin to scream like a little girlygirl and play SOCCER BALL with what ever the hell this thing is coming at me at warp speed.and about that time i hear the little bell ringing and see the pink bow on the weird neighbors new cat.out the door it went,i took a deep breath checked my drawers and went on with my work:eek:

24. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I use BrakeKleen on what ever I find crawling around, instant death!
    I buy it on sale or at swap meets!
    Works good on brakes too!

25. hemi46

hemi46
    Member Emeritus

My problem is bats, shitting on everything. How do you get rid of them?

26. :D LOL!!! If that don't work try a sign that says "$5.00 Cover Charge". :rolleyes:

27. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

As far as controlling the bugs; build yourself a bat house. I love our bats, they eat up the bugs like they are M&M's.

28. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

If you get rid of them, you'll end up with an insect problem. Build a bat house or three, and mount them away from the house. Bats are good!

29. yep like the spiders for the bugs down here...at the house the cats do a DAMN good job with the mice...who seem to like a Holley as much as the rest of use...at the shop the dogs have an okay kill ratio going...but they keep knocking over stuff...actually was there one day when they cornered one...the last words...didn't think that dog could catch me....wink...wink

30. edweird

edweird

Saw 2 lizards humpin in my shop today. They eat the insects, so i just leave them alone.