Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

That Looks Great out in the sun light.Cant wait to see it all the way done.

2. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

The pic came from an earlier post,I thought maybe it was the same race.

Had a 35mm five fingered myself in cali. 20 years ago,had about 10 rolls of film in the bag.I was more pissed about losing the pics than the camara.

3. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

There is a way to do it.A buddy of mine just got a bunch of boxs loaded with vintage racing slides.Were going through the same process.I'll let you know.

4. Falconred

Falconred

Mercuryjunky, did you move your rear end back on the '64 or reform the front of the wheel openings or both? I am trying to decide which to do or both to the '65 Comet drag car I have started.

5. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I knew it was '65 or '66---I was there every year and all my slides are mixed together! Now I remember he was in the Logghe chassis'd car in '66. Why did he race in Gas in '65 (at the Nationals) instead of FX? I still remember how that '65 Comet came off the line!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  6. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

man that is awesome.

what size rear tires are those? i think i can fit a 30 x 10 x 15 under mine and yours looks right on! looks like i.m gunna have too clearance my front fenders too!

are you doing any kinda lettering or going all white?

george

Attached Files:

7. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

George-
    The rears are the Firestone D.O.T. slicks, through, Coker, Summit, etc.. They advertise 10/15-30, just like the Mickey Thompsons, but the Mickeys are a bit flatter, and a bit wider than these, although they advertise the same dimensions. Be leary of that. I did not mini-tub the Comet! But, I did cut the space out between the inner wheelhouse and the framerail, then squeezed the inner wheelhouse back out, to re-join to the trunk floor. I gained almost two inches!!. That, coupled with the fact that the car sits fairly high, made it a slam dunk. I've had people come over and ask how I fit the tire in. I think I need to take some pictures,and point it out. If the car sat down low, it'd hit way up in the top of the wheelhouse. It turned out to be a cool trick with these cars, though.

Lettering? Oh yea!!! Theres gonna be a fair amount, and some really cool artwork as well. It will all pay homage to look of the past.

8. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Exceptional work once again Dale.

If I may ask all of you.

1) Do you know of any of the FOMOCO 1964 thru 1966 A/FX cars using the big 9.2 inch Pontiac rear ends?

2) Would the 60's 427 FORD SOHC dragsters and flip topp glass funny cars infact used the 9.2 inch Pontiac rear ends?

Thank You again.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  9. 65COMET

65COMET

Took the Comet to Vegas for the Heritage Race-Rockabilly reunion last weekend.Never made it across the street to the Reunion but the Drags were great,22 Funny Cars trying to get into an 8 car field.My Comet ran great,running the number,then in the first round I left WAAAAAY too early tripping the big red bulb!! Once again I had the only Comet in the joint!!The car show was Saturday and alot of the cars showed up on Sunday at the Strip in an area set aside for them. Great Weekend! ROY.

10. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

{{Once again I had the only Comet in the joint!!}}

I'm the same way too.. Pluse being the only INLINE-6 in the joint!!! Sounds like your having fun so far... Trying to get mine ready to go (small set backs) but should be out soon....

11. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;at least we aren't driving red camaros!!! Where are you racing?Too bad we can't find a central location to round up all the KOOL Comets on here for a race-show-B.S.session!!!! ROY.

12. TunnelBolt

TunnelBolt

Roy; Load up that Bad Ass Comet and head to Bowling Green for the NHRR we'll meet you there, I bet there a few Comets there. LOL. Right now it looks like we're going to go for it.

13. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Here is round 1 between Doc Burgess and Bill McDuell at South Glens Falls.
    May 15,1966
    Doc lit the red eye

[​IMG]

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Bucksnort;WOW,those old drag strips are scary!! You better hope your car runs straight as you have a dirt divider and no shoulder!!! Stab it and hang on!!!! YEE HAW!!! ROY.

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;I would love to go to the NHRR but I don't have the time or money for the trip.Jody was saying I wouldn't be able to race N/SS anyway as my Comet is a small block.Have you had a chance to get the Comet out yet[weather permitting]?I guess I need to build that old FE out in the shed!! ROY.

16. badbird84

badbird84

Wow, I came in from the shop and thought I would catch-up on this thread. 1 hour later and I'm not caught up. Thanks guys all the pics , info and old stories are very inspiring. I hope to have my 65 comet on the road in 3 weeks.

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Get out there and get to work on your 65!!!! Any info you want to share? ROY.

18. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Did not think of them as scary back then.Made my first pass and countless others down that track.But you are right,it was narrow and if you got just a little loose you better get out of it.Ran a G/MP 57 Chevy wagon(sorry,but I like all cars) on 7 inch slicks-5-6 pounds of air,3700 lbs in the 11's at 115+.You get to know your limits quick.It was scarier stopping as it was also a short shutoff.Even Garlits,Art Malone,Sox and Martin and many others ran there.It was just where the sport was at the time.Tons of like tracks at that time.
    Like your 'stab it and hang on"because I know that's what I did.Yee Haw!![​IMG]

19. Woops wrong login name, badbird84 was a name I used when I had a 84 t-bird that I raced. I'm building a 65 comet caliente now, I have owned the 65 for 18 yrs and it is time to drive this car and drive it hard. I'll post a link to pics of my build. When I get the comet on the road I'll post pics. I plan on driving the 65 on July 1st.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/576885380PfOJBs?vhost=rides&start=0

20. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I went to your link...can't wait to see it finished!What engine and running gear are you gonna use?From what I've seen the Comet is gonna be hot!

21. I running a 331/C4, it is a street/strip set-up. I got a set of winsor jr heads, 3" exhaust and electric fuel pump for the motor this year. Hope to run mid 12s. The combo ran 13.03 last year in my t-bird.
    Roger

22. This was Bill Freinds comet, unfortunately the car rolled and was destroyed on its next run. Bill has built another 65 comet and is racing again.

[​IMG]

23. SixtiesStyle

SixtiesStyle

Not sure why he ran in A/gas. I'm guessing it was because the car was running injected, not carbureted.

24. SixtiesStyle

SixtiesStyle

I think Hayden Profitt ran A/FX with his Comet. Schartman was running fuel injection and a number of Fords and Mopars were put in either altered or gas classes in 1965.

25. Lee_Ford

Lee_Ford

26. Mattbee

Mattbee

27. Nice wheels up shot.

[​IMG]

28. 65COMET

65COMET

Petes old Nicholson Comet was looking pretty sad by then!Look at how low the front axle supports are,lower than the wheel!! ROY.

29. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

to anolog dog your post on 5/29/10 about the spelling of arnies beswicks comet the spelling of jardine headers was mispelled at the time it was originaly painted in 1965 . to verify look at pictures of that era. when the car was redone they kept the misspelling. the car is still for sale serious inquries can contact dscomet at this site:)

30. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

This is very impressive, but all the cars on this thread are.

Jon

[​IMG]