Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Evel Knievel's Snake River Canyon Jump was broadcast live on "Closed Circuit TV" down at the local theater...it was all we talked about for weeks and when it was over I wanted my $4 back.

2. mac762

mac762

Getting up to change the channel. A good reason to play outside when your Dad was home. :)

3. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Paying $4500 for a new leftover 67 Corvette Coupe. Having to buy 260 Sunoco for $.399/gal when every one else was paying $.309/gal.Cashing a 2 week pay check for $150 and thinking that there couldn't be that much money in the world.

4. Naw, American Flyer! They only had TWO TRACKS! ;)

I was given a Marx train set by my brother's best friend. did some minor repairs on it and got the locomotive going again. Years later I gave it to a friend of mine to save for when he had kids...

5. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

Sitting in the back seat and fighting off the parents cigarette ash, every time they flicked 'em out side the window!

6. Having no idea what was ED, COPD, PAD, PMS, ALS, HPB or any other abbreviated ailment was, that you had to ask your doctor about or needed a prescription for.

Using Anacin for fast, fast FAST pain relief.

Remembering when the medicine shelf behind the bathroom mirror held merthiolate, iodine, castor oil, Bromo Seltzer and Bactine, and they cured nearly everything.

7. Muttley

Muttley

8. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All the kids on our street would gather at the only house on the street that had a TV to watch the Lone Ranger on Thursday nights.

Going Swimming with my friends in the gravel pits on those hot summer days.

Coming home from school and listing to Sargent Preston of the Yukon and the Green Hornet on the radio.

When my folks finally got a TV I would watch Captain Video, the Sealtest Big Top Circus, and Uncle Bob Hardy's Hayloft Frolic on the Dumont Television Network.

My buddies and I would make corn cob pipes go down to the river bank with a can of Prince Albert pipe tobacco and proceed to get sick as dogs.

Going to the first World Series of Drag Racing with my big brother in 1955.

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

10. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

hahaha..hey Mazooma, why the hell didn't you show me that 23 yrs and 4 months ago ?

..wasn't there another one where the teacher blows up at a classroom full of students and the voice over guy says "Don't take it out on the kids"

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

12. Anacin seems to have been replaced by Smith & Wesson these days...

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

Froggy the Gremlin. Check my avatar.

14. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

...we had a pair...couple of 90 year old sisters who never married and lived together. They acted like they were old and feeble, just peering through the curtains waiting for a ball or frisbee to land on their property...then they would sprint outside like Edwin Moses to take it away from us. :mad:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  15. alittle1

alittle1

Hey Rustbucket,

Nice '64 Ford pickup you've got in your AV.

16. alittle1

alittle1

C o w b o y s : Randolph Scott, Lash LaRue, Johnny Mack Brown, Red Rider, Gabby Hays, Gene Autry and California, Hop-a-long Cassidy, Rowdy Yates,

Indians: Little Beaver, Jay Silverheels, Chief Dan George, Geronimo,

Also: Zorro, Tarzan, Jungle Jim,

17. jleavesl

jleavesl
    from Houston

Lincoln Towncars... the ones from the 70's and 80's, long, boxy, and big.

Sitting with my grandfather as he explained that Ronald Reagan was a good guy like He-man and the Ayatollah Khomeini was a bad guy like Skeletor.

That little single cylinder motor that bolted to the handlebars on a schwin and would turn the front wheel. I wish I still had that one.

Space Shuttle launches shown on television at the school and the panicked look of the teachers when the Challenger exploded. The drive home from school where everyone in town turned their lights on in remembrance the passed astronauts.

The practically deafening ringer that was installed in my grandparent's garage so they could hear the phone if it rang inside.

Hannah Barbera

Sitting outside and watching the sun set.

The push button shift on my mother's 63 dodge custom 880 (if anyone happens to see one for sale, let me know) complete with tail fins.

The overall sense that everything was going to be o.k.

18. croxxedmember

croxxedmember

for the clay wheels, i have them. the 8 tracks, i get them for 25 cents a piece. and to the condomremark, that is funny.
    you did forget one thing, when the link between sex and pregnancy was non-existant.

19. croxxedmember

croxxedmember

i too listen to the AM radio. and i have a 1962 RCA consol, with radio, 8 track, and double diamond chipped needle. still works, solid state with no tubes. but i do have a can or two of tubes.

20. croxxedmember

croxxedmember

yep, my thanks also. btw i am 16

21. Don't worry, you young'uns, you'll have your own memories to look back on one day... :D

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

There used to be a hot soup machine at the handbag wholesaler my dad used to go to in Manchester, England, I'll never forget it, it dispensed a dehydrated mix from a choice of tomato, oxtail, vegetable or chicken into a paper cup and then boiling water was poured in, and right before your eyes.......soup.
    The shop also had a conveyor belt of handbags and luggage that went around and around and you picked out the items on a sheet of paper and gave them to the old bat at checkout and then loaded up your merch around back.

Good times.

23. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I remember 640/1240 Conelrad

my kids have NO idea what I'm talking about till I show 'em the stock radio in a 50s car.

dj

24. My parents and their neighbours in East L.A. staring up a the sky to try to get a glimpse of Sputnik as it flew over and worrying like hell what it all meant! :eek:

We've had lots on this thread on drop drills, fallout shelters, etc. It was interesting for me visiting Prague, Czech Republic a few years after the end of the Soviet Era and being told that the Metro system there doubled as a fallout shelter for the city's population. It's extremely deep in the centre of town and has all kinds of blast walls integrated into the design.

Seems the Warsaw Pact expected an immanent atomic war from us as we did from them, half a century ago.

25. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

8 years old and my best friend and I riding in the rear facing fold up seat in a new '64 Ford Galaxie wagon with the tailgate down waving like idiots at the cars behind us.

Laying in the rear package shelf of Mom's '57 Bel Air watching the clouds go by.

My first ride on a motorcycle, it was my cousin's 500cc Honda (Hawk?) circa 1965. I burned my leg on the exhaust but wanted to get right back on and go again.

My first ride in a "fast" car which was a brand new Red '66 Mustang 2 + 2, HiPo 289 and a 4 speed.

My older brother buying a new 1960 Corvair Monza. Our sister gave him a big blue metalflake shift knob with a silver dollar insert for it for Christmas that year. He still has the shift knob.

26. from a "youngster"
    when the amount of gallons was more then how much you payed
    when they pumped your gas

27. As a grease money, you were expected to check the oil and water levels while pumping gas, clean the windshield and check the tyres on customers' cars every time you were out on the gas island.

You'd also be expected to take cash and give the correct change (counted out, of course) or remember to put the license plate number of the paper credit card transaction form that you manually filled out before putting it into the zip-zap (impression) machine. You then gave the completed form (in a handy plastic tray designed for the purpose) for the customer to sign (don't forget to check the signature).

Make sure you give both the correct copy of the form and the card back to the customer before he/she drove off!:D

28. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

...seemed back in the 60's -70's every engine had leaky valve cover gaskets...we were always replacing them!?

...engine sludge in the lifter valley so thick you had to shovel it out into a cardboard box.

.....if you went a month without a flat tire it was a miracle.

...going with my dad to the Firestone dealer,walking through the stacks of tires and loving that smell of new rubber.

...speed shops that had customers 3 deep on Saturday morning

...when that big square Accel Super Coil and the "yellow jacket" wires came out everybody had to have them.

..."see through" clear plastic distributor caps and rocker covers

...the chrome "Cal-Van" tach/dwell meter my dad got me for Christmas.... man I loved learning how to use that thing.

...the trick where you could "static" time an engine by tuning a portable AM radio between stations- turn the key to "on" - rotate the engine by hand until you heard a "pop" in the radio speaker (breaker points opening) and check the timing tab marks....or something like that, I don't know I'm getting old!

29. I remember sleeping on the rear window parcel shelf on the way home from Toronto on a Sunday night. I remember listening to WLS and WOWO radio on the A.M. dial late at night because it was the only time the signal would come in.....

30. firingorder1

firingorder1

KMEN San Bernardino. William F. Williams. Midnight to six. A total looney.