Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DAPER DAVE, Jun 4, 2010.

1. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

I was working on a Chevrolet 350. We got the motor to run on its own. The radiator cap blew off showering us with hot water and oil. The head gasket is blown I know that so far. When we put the gasket sealing formula in the radiator the hose blew off showering us again with hot water, oil and gasket sealing formula. Once we got the car running with the electric fan connected the oil leaked from the front near the timing chain area where the fan blade used to be. Does anyone know whats causing this to happen?

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like YOU are causing this to happen...

Give us a bit more info, and maybe we can help you out.

-Abone.

3. mj40's

mj40's

Normal for a Chevy motor. You know what they say, when a Chevy motor quits leaking, it's out of oil.

4. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

We changed out the oil to see if the water in the oil pan was from it just sitting. When we ran the car for the first time we had no issues. I checked the oil and seen it was a blown head gasket. In order for the gasket sealing formula to work the motor had to be running for 20 min with the formula in the radiator and the motor. The car over heated and blew off the radiator cap and bottom hose. Once I put new water and checked the cap I bought an electric fan. The car runs a little better even with the blown head gasket but I'm leaking oil from the front of the motor. My friend bought this car from someone who was trying to make it a raT ROD PROJECT. I'M THINKING REBUILD.

5. Exactly!

6. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  7. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Change the head gaskets, you might have a cracked head aswell. Dont spend time on the mistery fluid.

8. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

Yah I'm getting the new head gaskets. The guy who owns the car was trying to avoid a rebuild but I think he has no choice. Its going to suck tearing the block down but if he wants it running right it has to be done. As for ther cracked head thats going to be another issue when we get down to it. I hope thats not the case but we will see. Thanks for the feedback.

9. howco

howco

Head gaskets 'NEVER' get fixed with something in a can, 'NEVER'.....
    ANy questions?

Make you have those heads checked for hairline cracks at the local machine shop, that way you 'know' that they are decent, and you begin to build on a good foundation....

After thought, radiator leaks are the same, pull the radiator and fix the leak, don't put a bunch of crap in it, it just puts off, what needs to be done.

10. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Is the weep hole on the water pump leaking?

11. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Didn't do it any good to overheat it. Small block Chevy motors are easy to come by. Rebuild what you have, or pick up a good runner for $300-$500.

12. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

"Gasket Sealing Formula ?" ,,pull those heads back off ,,clean the surfaces from that "Formula" crap ,put Premium gaskets back on it AFTER you wipe the block with White Lubraplate Grease,,helps the gaskets move when you torque em ,,THEN ,,follow the right Torque sequence & spec,,,middle bolts out to the ends and do it TWICE ,,
    ALSO ,,be sure to do the same with the intake gakets ,,
    doing the head gaskets DRY is better than using that "Magic" crap from O'Rielly's or those other "Steal Your Money" car parts stores ,,

13. Abone29

Abone29

Everybodys right,pull those heads have them magnafluxed and do it right.

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

15. canman

canman

I almost choked to death on a peanut. That's funny

16. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

We removed the head gasket. The engine is toasted. The previous owner must have ran the car like this everyday. We now have a cracked cylinder head and the rings are bad. I can also see we have a bent rod. we can see were the pistons grinded on the cylinder wall due to no lubrication. Looks like I will be taking a trip to the junk yard to find another engine.

17. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

18. Lot of difference between changing head gaskets and a rebuild my friend. Blown head gasket doesn't necessarily mean it needs rebuilt its just a blown head gasket until proven otherwise.

Instead of trying to build a junker why don't you just build it right? Trust me there is nothing in the world wrong with owning a car that is built right.

What the civilized world (and even parts of SoCal) doesn't need is another scabbed together junk rod.

19. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you go to the junkyard for another engine,you will probably end up with more junk,thats why its there,look in the classifieds here on the HAMB,find you a descent engine and quit wasting your money and time.

20. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

Yah thats right. I will keep my eyes open for a new motor. The owner was trying to salvage what he could but I guess this is what it came down too. Thanks For The Advice. I will continue to do what I can to help this guy out.

21. Sounds like a perfect motor for him the way it is, if he really wants to build a Rat Rod

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

last SBC I had rebuilt cost me $1600.00. that's bored, crank turned, heads redone, cam, gears, pump and chain. they assembled the long block and I put the tin and accessories on. money well spent.

the only way I have ever purchased a "runs good" motor from another car is to have seen it run in the car it came out of. otherwise I figure you are buying a core and pay accordingly.