Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ohio speeders WATCH OUT !!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54chebby, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. historynw

historynw

In the old days before RADAR that's the way tickets were written for speeding. Its still on the books and is still valid since in radar training an officer must prove a proficiency in estimating speed w/o a 2-5mph range. In NY those estimations are recorded over a period of days an filed with the state.

2. tjackson

tjackson
    from Oregon

Its already that way in Oregon. Its called Violation of the Basic Rule. All the officer needs to proof in court is that you were traveling at a speed that appears greater than the posted speed limit or at a speed that is unsafe for the conditions.

3. Yup. The "eyeball" ticket. "I'm sure you were speeding..."

"Do you know how fast you were going back there?" is always a question that makes you guilty, regardless of how it's answered. "Yes, I do." is a tacit admission of speeding, even if you were not. "No, Officer, I don't!" is also an admission of not paying attention to the speed/conditions/whatever the cop wants to nail you with. If you say "My speedometer is broke/off/does freaky shit!", then you have a defective vehicle citation. If you say "My three year old just poured a soda on my lap!", then you have inattentive driving, plus a three year old loose in the car.

I answered that once as "Yes, I was driving a speed that was safe, prudent, and lawful for conditions!", meaning even though he thought I was speeding (no radar or laser), he couldn't get me to self-incriminate, no matter what he tried. Got off with a warning. BTW, I was doing exactly the speed limit - 50 in a 50 - when he pulled me over, and he knew it.

What a judge needs to do with these "eyeball" tickets is to see just how accurate the cop really is - take him out to a course where you have a couple of drivers come at him at varying speeds, and have a court observer in each car for each pass. The reporter writes down the speed for each pass in the car, while the cop tells the judge how fast the car was going at the same point. I'll bet money the cop wouldn't get the speed right within +- 10 mph 9 of 10 times, especially on passes exceeding 30 mph to 90 mph.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  4. big creep

big creep

wow thats bullshit! i hope you guys find a way to fight this.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sounds like profiling.

6. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

i wouldnt paint anything red. red always looks fast.

7. ken1939

ken1939

Take solice in the fact there will ALWAYS be someone driving faster than you. You dont have to outrun the bear, just the slowest person.

I have made enough trips to springfield on I70 to see that.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

uh... cops have always been able to give a ticket on an estimated speed.

so a cop is doing his paperwork or whatever in a parking lot. joe schmoe breezes by at 50 in a 35. you think the cop can't give a ticket because he didn't have his radar out?

I got a lot of tickets in my youth. it was my experience that cops underestimated the speed 99% of the time. I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

9. 392_hemi

392_hemi

So when you go to court, you have a right to question the cop and have him explain how he estimated your speed. Unless he's got a good answer, or you have an a-hole for a judge, you have a good chance of getting off right there. There's lots of ways of dealing with this sort of thing if you're willing to give it a little thought and go to court. I've had a judge hand my license back and thank me for my time while the cop was still answering my last question. It's not that difficult. Of course, if you're doing something really stupid, your chances of sucess tend to go down in direct relation to the level of stupidity. But even then, you can usually work a deal and get off a little easier.

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I just got a bill for a speed camera portrait from the state of Illinois, My middle finger was in the way of my face, next time I guess I will have to salute the Guvna a little more to the left, tank of gas 75 bux set of tires 800 bux salute the guvna of the state of Illinois 375 bux, picture of you saluting the guvna, not worth it.

11. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Sucks to live in Michigan because get out you have to go though Ohio or Indiana. During the summer of '08 I was driving my civilian car to Indy on a parts run, doing just UNDER the speed limit. I was dogged by a State Trooper on a bike for 5 or 6 miles. I didn't see him but he wrote on my ticket that I was observed for 5 or 6 miles. Pulled my A$$ over just south of the Gas City overpass and wrote me for "Failing to signal a lane change"
    WTH!@#$%!
    The prick was rude about it to boot. Never pulled his Helmet or Glasses. Tossed the ticket, proof of insurance and registration through the window to me and walked away. I never said anything to piss this guy off. This was the middle of the afternoon on a Friday. $203.00 and 2 points. I hadn't had a ticket in 23 years. :mad:
    Until I went to the HotRod Trade show this year, I hadn't spent a dime in that fair state because of it.

12. Deuces

Deuces

I thought he was pretty good in "The Terminator" and "True Lies" :D

13. carshopowner

carshopowner

Another thing to watch out for in Ohio is DOT numbers when pulling a trailer.

They are pulling people over and issuing tickets for no DOT numbers and you have to go to court to prove you are "not for profit"<O:p

Below is an e-mail I received from Lieutenant Robert D. Warner Office of Field Operations Licensing and Commercial Standards Section<O:p

I drive a 2007 Ford F350 and pull a 28 foot enclosed car carrier and race only in club racing events (no pay out). There are no signs or decals on either the truck or trailer.

Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:11 AM
    To: Willoughby, Keith (FMCSA); Andrew Stritmatter
    Subject: Re: Fwd: FW: Commerce vs. Hobby/Not in Commerce
    All Ohio State Highway Patrol personnel certified to conduct MCSAP roadside inspections are aware of the FMCSR 390.3 exemptions. During roadside interview with the driver and associated paperwork, inspectors make a determination on if they have jurisdiction to conduct an inspection or not. This training is covered during the North American Standard Level One training and also covered during our additional jurisdiction training. The additional training covers both Federal and State regulations. Jurisdiction training also covers carrier credential checks including operating authority, CDL, insurance and hazmat permit checks. <O:p

When inspectors stop commercial motor vehicles and during the interview determine the stop is outside there jurisdiction, the stop is terminated and the driver/vehicle released. Farm operations, intra-city, mulch, newspaper, road projects and private moves are examples of this. During a roadside inspection interview the inspector asks several questions to determine if the move is furtherance of commerce. This can be a difficult task when the driver may be trying to avoid following the rules. These roadside interviews may become heated and the communication between the two parties deteriorates. <O:p

Having decals on the side of a vehicle does not mean the driver/vehicle is in commerce. This may be an indication for the inspector to ask detailed questions.

I would like to the inspection number and detailed information on the stop that was discussed in the email from Mr. Lever. If the stop was recent there may or may not be in-car video capturing the conversation, the inspector may have taken photos as part of the inspection. <O:p

Lieutenant Robert D. Warner
    Office of Field Operations
    Licensing and Commercial Standards Section
    Ohio State Highway Patrol
    1970 West Broad Street
    Columbus, OH 43223
    Phone 614-752-4871
    Fax: 614-752-0243
    E-mail: [email protected]

14. Deuces

Deuces

huh???........ I've had this thing for over 5 years and I ain't had a ticket..... yet.

Attached Files:

15. Merc63

Merc63

Yes, they have. And the point of radar and the like was to reduce the chances of human error in estimating exact speed and reducing the chances of an officer simply not liking you and using the position of authority to make it stick. Radar also gave you a technical tool that you could question the accuracy of so that the accuser was not given more importance than the accused citizen.

And while it IS easy to tell that someone is blatantly exceeding the speed limit, it's going to be MUCH harder to estimate the speed of someone going close to the speed limit, especially if that car is louder or brighter or more visually enticing than the average car. And what this law gives is the legal authority to say" we don't have to know if you were ACTUALLY speeding or not, only that the officer thought you were, and that's good enough for us. So now, you could get fines and points on your license even if youwere't actually doing anything wrong. Which was the problem when this type of enforcemetn was teh law of the land before.

16. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Ever heard of "arrestme red"?:p

17. Merc63

Merc63

Actualy, I'd agree with him. I've had fast cars and sports cars for decades, and the only ones I'd routinely get followed in and closely examined in were the red ones. A white or black Porsche 911 wouldn't get a second glance, but the red ones would get followed every time they were on the road. Even borrowing red cars would get the treatment...

18. Deuces

Deuces

Same thing as Torch Red.. :D

19. Deuces

Deuces

I've been followed in it a couple of times, but never even been pulled over.... They run the numbers on their pc and find out I've got a clean record.... So they leave me alone. :) Whata ya know! I'm batting 1000.... I'm now a senior member! :D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  20. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Most people put (not for hire ) on the side and they leave them alone

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ya'll know its not about the law..or safety...its all about the Green..

MONEY..

what needs to be out lawed next..is greed!

22. Why speed? It only gives them a chance to see the beer in your hand...........

23. So buy yourself a GPS, use it, and you have an indisputable record of whether or not you were actually speeding.

24. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

So when in court just tell the judge, Well your honor you say the fine is $275.00, but I estimate that at more like $125.00. See how they like it when the tables are turned. I like how it is always the cops word over the defendents in court. Like cops are always truthfull. I'm sure that there has been a cop arrested for just about every crime out there. But by the judge the cops don't lie it is his word that rains supreme. Then why did we have to suffer through months of the O.J. trials on t.v.? Just find a cop to say he did it and that would have been the end of it.

25. Watch out if you're ever passing through Benton, Tennessee on US 411 with an out-of-state tag. Benton police have been running an illegal speed trap operation for many years with the full knowledge of state authorities. They basically, as a matter of routine, issue fraudulent speeding citations to anybody they see with a tag from a distant state regardless of actual speed. The last time I went through there, I was running under the 35 MPH limit and got a ticket for 51 because I had Maryland tags at the time. The cop flat out lied in court, and the kangaroo court judge was the mayor's wife. It was like something out of a really bad B movie. When the cop (he was actually the chief) pulled me over, I asked if he had locked in the radar reading so I could see it, he was very rude and smart alecky with me, said he didn't lock it in and he didn't have to show me anything. (He was wrong on the law at that point because a defendant has the right to examine any evidence used against him). I knew that 51 MPH reading wasn't locked in because it never existed.

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

a guy tried that..they innitialy went for it..than decided to throw it out of court..how convienient eh?

27. Well, you still need to go in with a lawyer who knows how to play the game. Which is all it is, a game. I'd rather pay the money to a lawyer than to the town or city in question. But if it comes down to it, I suppose we'll all just have to have the same camera deal that cop cars have, if they throw that out of court, file civil suits against everyone -

28. RQuantz

RQuantz
    from Las Vegas

I had a two-wheeler do the exact same thing to me in Vegas in October! They must've watched the same training video or something... To make it better, He took off on his bike and left me sitting, vulnerable to a rear-ender, on the side of a major street with heavy traffic trying to collect all my papers and shit he dispersed all over my floorboards.

Yeah, he got me for 38 in a 35, right after I literally saw him see a car running a 2-second RED light and do nothing about it. It was so, SO very hard to bite my tounge and not mouth off to him.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  29. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

OHIO - O..HI..O I must be leaving now

30. the-rodster

the-rodster

Your fellow conservatives don't agree with you..

ohio supreme court justices:

Eric Brown D
    Paul Pfeifer R
    Evelyn Lundberg Stratton R
    Maureen O'Conner R
    Terrence O'Donnell R
    Judith Ann Lanzinger R
    Robert R Cupp R

It was a 5-1 decision :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.