Register now to get rid of these ads!

How low should I go with my 54 2dr. sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WCRiot, Jun 3, 2010.

1. WCRiot

WCRiot

Guys,
    I have changed my mind several times but I am pretty set on my plans for the car now. I just have one more concern to address, which is: AIR BAGS or NOT?

Here is what I want to do: I want to keep the Original Bench seat and the original rear seat. I am planning on running a full interior.

So how low can I go and what are my suspension options? I heard the Gambino C-Notch kit will allow me to run the factory rear seat. Alex confirmed this for me. But, what are my other suspension options to lower the rear and keep the rear seat? Gambino tail dragger?
    OR Should I run a different 3 or 4 link?
    I didn't want to keep the leaf springs, but I guess I could...
    WHAT ELSE?

One option I was considering was using the rear trailing arms from a Chevrolet C-10 pickup. I have seen some kits that kind of copy these arms and use the center support to link it all together. What I have "HEARD" is I can use the factory C-10 trailing arms, BUT I would only be able to go lower not LOW, I won’t be sitting on the rocker.

NOW THE FRONT. Should I get airbags in the front? I don't mind cutting the driveshaft tunnel to get the car lower. But, I don't want to have to run bucket seats.

I personally like the coilovers for the front and running the trailing arms in the rear with coilovers and the Gambino C- notch. I think this would be a pretty nice handling car. But, I’m worried I won’t be happy and always want to go lower.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. 296ardun

296ardun

It's your car, do what you like best...but since you asked, I think that the "low as you can go" trend goes too far, emphasizes the low-ness of a car over its lines, to me more than 4 inches is too much...lowered my '50 Merc too low many years ago, and found out that with riders in the back seat the wheels rubbed, and wore off the tailpipes quickly...

3. scottrod2

scottrod2
    from Columbus

My vote is always "low as you can go". You will have to make your own decision based on what you think will fit your needs. Air ride is cool but also can be kinda finicky if it isnt done properly the first time. If you want any specifics, let me know, I am no expert but I have done one. There are some pics in my profile of my old 50 chev. Fatmans MII front raised 2" and a chassis eng. 4 link out back. Custom center cross member.
    [​IMG]

4. Are you going trad or street rod that is the real question. And this is not for you to be offended.

If you are going trad than you are not going to be laying frame. That has only become popular in the last couple of decades. Just hide the top of the tires and don't lower it any more than you want it to be when you're driving it.

If you are going the street rod route than what you really want to do is go with a mustang II, a triangulated 4 link in the rear and bags on all 4 corners. then you can lay frame.

I personally like them both ways but for my own personal taste I would probably go the trad route.

5. old_skool_1953

old_skool_1953

AIRBAGS or a Mustang II front!!! I had a 53 Chevy 210 that I lowered with a set of 3" dropped uprights that I machined and fabbed from 4130 and a set of new replacement factory springs with a half of a coil cut out. The total drop was in the neighborhood of 5." I had about 4" of clearance and the car rode great. Everything was good with the scrub line. The factory style front crossmember hangs very low in comparison to a MII style front end and will hit road obstacles. My front crossmember stopped my car from 15 mph in a construction zone where a manhole cover was left portruding above the pavement and not indicated by a cone. If was a hard way to learn this lesson. If you want to keep your drop static go with a MII front end and posies drop leafs in the rear. If you dont care about being static or following traditional guidelines go with the air ride but be prepared for maintenance. It is inevitable. If I can answer any more questions for you feel free to pm me.
    Jared

6. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Airbags, you can adjust the airbags and you dont have to be that low all the time, the stupid wipes put speed bumps all over Chi town, you would never make it down any street here with that. It looks hammerin but it aint functional, bag it and it can be both. Me I have to order a new spindle because my drop is tooo low for Chit citys streets.

7. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

Going low isnt that much work, but gettin one of these cars Low as you can go like your talkin about is alot of work, I mean alot! Just Puttin in a notch and bags isnt gonna get you here, you have to remake crossmembers, relocate body mounts, raise motor trany, modify bench seats, wheel wells, floor, Factor in tire size etc... layin frame and layin body are diff amounts of work, Im over a year into mine and still not done, Is it worth all the work? No Probally not,

I am keeping all my original bench seats etc.

Gettin a car low is an OCD Type sickness, never satisfied

personally I like fatman msII in the front and gambino notch and bags in the rear, always looks cool, you have to at least be able to lay the ass down

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. You should make it "lay rocker", like a mini truck. Mini trucks are kool.

9. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

Riot...o brother...pop.

10. like rustypipes said "Gettin a car low is an OCD Type sickness, never satisfied" Im the same way.. here is a pic of mine the front is bagged using the stock setup up and the rear is bagged, two link, stock rear end and just any simple truck step notch will work for the frame and clear the back seat, the drive line tunnel was raised 2 inches and the back seat was modified to fit over that... its fun but i still want it lower... in a few years i plan to redo it with a S-10 front clip and a one off box tube frame...
    [​IMG]

11. OK Phil you now owe me a key board. I should know better than to bring coffee to the HAMB. ;)

12. Unless you want to redo the inner tubs, trans tunnel, xbembers, ect ect ect your not going to get that low.

I found out mine rubs the inner wheel tubs in the back, and the trans tunnel just clears the driveshaft. This is with a little pipe notch and rubber snubbers using a GM 4 link from a caddi.

13. WCRiot

WCRiot

Well one issue some people didn't speak on, and maybe thats cause it wasn't an issue. BUT, I want to keep the stock bench front and rear seats.

14. True, and it's easy to see in several build threads that there's a lot going on back there with not a lot of room.

I'm keeping my back seat, to make the upper arms clear, make a xmember, I cut the floor up and moved the lower bottom portion forward about 2". The seat barely fits but it does.

15. kustomkat

kustomkat

porknbeaner hit the nail right on the head. Ask yourself this exact question... I, too am more on the traditional bandwagon. Unless you get into some crazy channel or want the rockers to touch the ground, the rear seat and huge floor tunnels are not an issue. I can vouch for Gambinos C-notch kit. It does not affect the back seat at all. I did a little tunnel work which required a little back seat modification but nothing crazy and it is a STOCK back seat.. Matter of fact the seat was upholstered before the frame mods and you wouldn't even know it. The front gets a little more complicated, but it is trial and error. Mock up is your friend. I have had airbags, and not. My preference is NOT. Figure out what your goal is and plan from there.

16. def. go with air bags! I'm going to bag my '54 Chevy very soon I plan to use a Jaguar XJ6 front end swap and bag it and then the Gambino kit for the rear

17. missysdad1

missysdad1

It's really easy to get carried away with all the new-tech stuff that has become available for customs in recent years. But keep in mind that you are the one who will have to pay for, own and ultimately drive your car. So don't let yourself get talked into whatever is "cool" if it does not suit your situation or your pocketbook.

Personally, I don't "get" laying frame or any of the other air bag nonsense. You have to make so many compromises in the suspension design that a car ceases being a car and turns into some kind of high-tech tinker toy.

And here's a news flash: not all of 'em handle or ride anywhere near as well as the builder/owner would have you believe.

You didn't say what make your car is, but regardless of brand, some moderate lowering front and rear will improve the looks of the car while remaining driveable and affordable. And...you can keep your seats, if that's important.

It's true, you won't be the coolest guy on the block, but you'll have a car that handles well and is fun to drive...and have a few bucks left over for exterior modifications, paint and fresh threads without breaking the bank.

Good luck with your project!

:)

18. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ive still yet to see the purpose in lowering a car past the point of where it can be driven. Bags are fine if thats your thing but why the desire to "lay frame" thats alot of money to look cool sitting still.

19. Got one word for ya brother Mopar.

Lawn Chair

Well actually two words.:eek:

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Now, that's funny right there!

21. RDR

RDR

what missysdad1 said....X2

22. ChopHoliday

ChopHoliday
    from P-Town, VA

Just picked up a '54 210 sedan which already has a '70 Nova sub welded in. All arms and components are there but not bolted on. At first it was without question to bag it since they've always looked cool on the ground. I know the difference in ride quality isn't worth it but never been an issue for me. Issue being the difference in money and time spent.
    For WCRiot: Sounds like you have done most of your planning and have it all planned out. I think if you have the dough and the time, go for the bags. Myself, just beginning my search for a plan and found this thread. Thanks to everyone for the info.

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

OCD ...???

Occupational Dysfunctionality...??? Often Carted Down...??? Old Car Disease...???

Only Crappy Drivers...???

R-

24. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder!

25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Oh. Sure. I have that...!!!

R-

26. to me its woth making it lay as low as you can then mess with back seat later.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

bags just seems like a lot of work to make your car look "cool" when parked.

I think if I were going to put any sort of air in a car it would be to raise it from a low ride height for driveways and such rather than to sit on the frame and look silly

28. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

Im not really into whats consider "cool" now days, I go to a carshow and all those eddie munster lookin mufuckers with the skunk striped pompadoo's are considered "cool". Think I'll pass.

I honestly just like the ability to drive my car really low with out tearing some crucial component off my car. Thus with bags and all the extra frame mods I have done I can do that and cruise an inch or so off the ground at shows, If I just liked the way it looked parked Id get some square wheels.

My car is bagged for ultra low driving stance

No its not worth all the work and Yes it is Extreme ridiculous. But thats how I wanted it.

And diff strokes for diff folks is why Ive always liked the HAMB, Everyone is doing something different, doing it their own Way and everyone is free to say whether they like it or not!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  29. ems customer service

ems customer service

Keep it stock hieght to looks bad and is only trendy now, whne tthe trend is over then what. And the cost????