Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods & Racing Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The art work is really nice.

Many of the artists who created these never reallly got the credit they deserved.

Thanks for sharing.

Jimbo

2. we had a store in our neighborhood run by an old guy who sold used comics for a nickel a piece. everyone bought up all the marvel and dc comics leaving all the charlton titles and Car-toons for me. never paid more than 5 cents for any of them, seeing the covers again brings back a lotta summer days.

3. TRuss

TRuss

Some of you may be surprised to learn that comics are still popular. At least among the teenaged art students that I see everyday. I think some of it has to do with all of the comic movies that still seem to be doing very well in theatres. Yes, video games are quite popular and at times it can be difficult to understand a more modern generation...but they aren't all that different than I was or even you. The modern world has changed kids more than kids have changed the modern world. A good friend once told me (in relation to skateboarding); "Each one, teach one."

And yes these are very cool. I would definitely like to find a few.

4. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I only went through all of mine on the weekend and sorted them out. A couple of the covers are familiar, but there are lot of those shown that I don't have.
    Michael

5. That's an amazing bit of history you've got there... looks like I'll have to keep my eyes open for a few of those.

The artwork looks like "Robert Williams" pieces... can you see who is credited for those covers?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  6. I want this poster!

[​IMG]

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, I was only 11 at the time! Only have one of my originals the others were confiscated at Boy Scout camp, bastards!:mad:

Attached Files:

8. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Some of the early Hot rod covers were by Bob Powell.Jack Keller ,Morales, Dick Giordarno,Giacoia,Saunders, & Krigstein, but most were not noted or saved. Robert Williams did late 60s Underground comics.Here is the title of the poster you seek " A White-Knuckle Ride for Lucky St. Christopher" plus "The Last Ride of the Flying Purple Eater" one of my favorites by Williams

Attached Files:

9. BELLM

BELLM

Weird timing, my seeing this tonight, stopped in an antique store in Giddings, TX today on my way back from Billetproof, they had 1 single copy, $30.00. Maybe I should have bought it?

10. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I have some of these comics. Got them with a bunch of little pages & early mags. I thought they were worth something...checked ebay...there's tons on there. Or, there used to be. Maybe the value will go up with this thread ;)

11. Just ran across an old thread on here about those comics the other day. Very cool! :D

12. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

here is a Racing Car comic cover

[​IMG]

13. Great just what I need some more stuff to collect.