Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rattle Can Military OD Paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by supercharged, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Does anyone know of a rattle can or brush on olive drab (military OD) paint that covers and blends as well as Blitz Black?:confused:

I am thinking of going the old military look to my next project, so not too nice but I don'y want brush marks and rattle can stripes. I figure a semi-gloss olive drab camo paint. Krylon makes a paint, but not sure that is the best.:rolleyes:

2. howco

howco

Krylon is an excellent product, they have about five 'camo' colors, well done, I say.

Their products are superior..
    Then there is Hammerite in cans, you can run through a gun......

3. hubcap

hubcap
    from phx

The Krylon is not UV friendly and will chalk-up within a couple years. It is easy to touch-up however.

4. Do you know of any similar priced paint that has more UV protection?

5. garyv

garyv

6. F&J

F&J

I saw a guy mix flat black and "safety orange" enamel together to make army green :confused:

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I don't know of ANY aerosol(rattlecan) paint that is UV friendly....

8. Dogfacesmitty

Dogfacesmitty

Try Rapco paints. The WWII Jeep resto guys use that sometimes. I'm on my work computer (shhh!) so I can't include links right now. Sorry!

9. antiqueautomike

antiqueautomike
    from Spokane

Aervoe make a good supply of industrial OD paints. www.aervoe.com

10. BISHOP

BISHOP

The Army Navy stores have an indestructable paint called DUCK SCIFT, its oil based though. I have used it on an old International Harvester pickup. Great product, but if you ever want to change the color it has to be stripped off. It flashes evenly, and is an OD green. $8.99 a qt. You can paint a whole truck, two coats, with two quarts.

11. Where do I find this? I searched for DUCK SCIFT and, well it did not come up with "paint"!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  12. Big Nick

Big Nick

I painted a bike of mine with the Krylon Camo green and then went over it with Kryon Matte finish (its for pictures actually). It came out real nice and was very durable. These pictures dont really show the green that well but...
    [​IMG]

13. guiseart

guiseart

Krylon

Attached Files:

14. BISHOP

BISHOP

BLP Mobil Paints, Theodore Alabama
    Brand: Jack Tar
    Color: Camo Ducking Skiff Olive
    Part #: 431-46

I went and looked at the label, and I was wrong on the name, sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase. This is the correct name and part number.

15. Thanks, its amazing what you can find if you search with the right words!:D

Its even more amazing when you use the wrong words!!;)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  16. Dogfacesmitty

Dogfacesmitty

17. So no thinning and it levels out okay on a vertical surfaces?

If it does, then COOL!:D

18. This stuff looks great but the Jack Tar paint seems much cheaper and easier to use if you can just brush on and it self-levels. Plus more indestructible if it is a marine paint;)

19. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

i painted an old k5 blazer and a 16foot jon boat years ago.

i used Van Sickle enamel.
    i started with john deere green and flat white primer and black enamel, mixed the flat white enamel, and black with the john deere green enamel until i got the olive drab shade i liked, ended up mixing 2 gallons of sprayable material, i had flat white and black left over, the black i used up on chassis over time.

i can say that the van sickle industrial enamel is some tough a$$ paint, i see the blazer about everyday, its still on the blazer and it still looks good, and i painted it over 10 yrs ago.

if i were going to do an olive drab truck again, i would do it the same way. 1 gallon of van sickle john deere green, 1/2 gallon of flat white enamel, the flat white knocks the gloss out of the jd green and softens the green up to an olive drab, and 1/2 gallon of black enamel for darkening it up. i thinned it with Naptha.. i had a total of about $40 in 2 gallons of paint.

20. BISHOP

BISHOP

I would use a small roller, not a brush.... Its so easy even a novice can acheve a nice looking job.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  21. big creep

big creep

that looks sweet!

22. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

What about PPG DP40? Kinda gray/green.

23. The idea was ultra-low budget, with a nice home-shop look. Not slick-professional.

24. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Yeah, the PPG stuff is pricey. But it'll last a LOT longer than spray bomb. Just a suggestion. :)

25. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jack Tar is good stuff. Put it on some farm wagons a few years ago with a foam roller. Looked pretty darn good.