Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Potential in this truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fighter-of-Wars, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I never updated it because I'm not really hot-rodding this truck, I'm more of getting it going and eventually making it look nice. And maybe on down the road when the old 6 cylinder gives out I will do something with it then. But until then its staying stock with a few changes. But, to those who want details here you go.

I bought the truck in November and have had a flurry of activity working on it, with school, work, and other things it wasn't uncommon for me and my buddy to working out to 2 A.M. on weekends an midnight on school nights trying to get this thing done.

What I have done so far.

Running Gear
    All new brake lines.
    Rebuilt Master Cylinder
    Rebuilt Front Wheel Cylinders
    New Rear Wheel Cylinders
    New Brake Shoes
    New Seals on front
    New Seals on Back
    New Pinion Seal
    Changed all fluids
    Packed wheel Bearings

Engine/Trans
    Rebuilt Carb
    Rebuilt Waterpump
    Rebuilt Generator
    New Plugs
    New Wires
    New Voltage Regulator
    Radiator Fixed
    New Rad Hoses
    Exhaust system that we scavenged off of an old school bus out back. It works
    New Fuel pump gasket.

Other
    All new wiring
    New turn signals lights front and back
    New cab marker lights
    New Dimmer switch
    New switches for lights
    Reverse light
    Installed the Gas tank
    Built and put on a flatbed.
    Greased everything
    Fixed the original Horn
    Oiled the Speedo because it was making a terrible noise.

Body
    I am going to say right away that I'm terrible at body work. Don't have the patience for it and this is my first vehicle ever to dive this deep into. But I can do the mechanicals all day long and still want to work at the end of the day.

I Patched the cab corners
    Back of the cab was rusted out, fixed it
    I strengthened the cab floor and patched the trans tunnel
    The front cab supports I patched up.

I also swapped the hood from my 47 onto this one because It is in better shape, and has all the Ford markings on it that the other one did not.

I still have to do the cowl vent, drivers door on the underside, and then comes the body filler, sanding, more sanding, and painting.

I can say that this has been a big learning experience working on this truck. It has been fun to. But, looking back I can see what I should have done better which is pretty much everything, but what can I say, I'm 18, in a hurry and have more fun just driving it than working on it.

But what I will do, is after the old Flathead 6 gives out and I have to tear the truck completely apart I will do it right. I will sandblast everything, fix all the rust correctly, and probably restore it back to military looks. But for now its going to be just and old farm truck.

Here are some pics and A video.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjDTt0MB80g

[​IMG]

And finally putting it to work. Those bales are around 1600 pounds each and it pulled them just fine.

[​IMG]

2. mtflat

mtflat

Thanks for the update - I love to see the old stuff still working!!!

Good job, hope you enjoy every minute you spend in it.

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

So far you've done right by this old truck. You could have just taken it home, torn it down in a million pieces and it would have just sat, or worse, eventually scrapped out. This way you get to enjoy it like it was intended and still have all of the options open to anything else in the future. Congrats!!!

Frank

4. 117harv

117harv

Cool pic with the bales should make you feel proud to find that truck and bring it back to good working order. Very well done!

5. At 18???? You are off to a far better start than I was at 18 or at my mid 20's. You've re-built yourself a very capable workhorse. That ought to bring a smile to any gray beard. Nothing like putting something back into service that is FAR older than you are.

6. synthsis

synthsis

agree and disagree. If he wants to make it a daily driver, modern technology will help with comfort, speed, AND safety. If he just wants to putter around in it to shows&swaps, keep it original.

7. ZRX61

ZRX61
    from The AV

Perfect vehicle to learn on. It's built from real steel not that modern HSS crap.

8. Nice pic of the truck doing what it does best. I agree, leave it as is and enjoy it. It's a parade truck, you'll get plenty of attention using it around your community in its original configuration.

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by stude_trucks [​IMG]
    Sorry, unless he wants to destroy its soul, I suggest NOT replacing the chassis. Old trucks and cars should still fundamentally drive and feel like old cars and trucks - it is not just a visual thing.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    [​IMG]

9. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

X2.... Plus it looks like you are in the perfect country to use it some and enjoy it. Good job!

10. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Good for you. I think that you're on the right track by starting with the basics to make it a usable vehicle until you are ready for more advanced changes. Too often, a new owner is overly ambitious and attempts a build without a real plan that is way beyond his skill level, knowledge and budget. The result is usually a failed "project" basket case that goes to the scrapper, is parted out or is abandoned. If you decide to move forward with a build, you have a good foundation. If you decide to move on to something else, you have a very saleable truck with which you can make a nice profit to fund your next project.

Very cool truck! :cool:

11. catbox

catbox

good job the man.

12. GOOD on ya' ,,glad to see it workin'

13. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Thanks everyone for all the kind words and encouragement. Most likely the next time I update this will be when I get it painted. Till next time.

14. white64

white64
    from Maine

Paint? It don't need no stinkin paint! It looks great! Flat clear it!

15. This is one of those times to say that we are care givers to these old vehicles.
    You did right by this one!

16. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Keep this one as it is and modify the next one.

17. Grumpy Outlaw

Grumpy Outlaw

Very Kool truck! You did good. Just enjoy the hell out of it.

18. mustangdug

mustangdug

Awesome truck! Im gonna start keeping an eye out for one around here! Anyone got one of those swing out windows lying around? I'd like to put one in my 40 p/u im building!

19. ZRX61

ZRX61
    from The AV

Yeah, but mine is attached to an indentical truck to the OP's...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. How much money ya got. For several million maybe you could win a ridler.

Otherwise it would make a good truck. Nothin' wrong with that, I like good trucks.

21. ZRX61

ZRX61
    from The AV

Can I get the dimensions of the toolbox on the right side, mine is missing. thanks :)

22. tyler6469

tyler6469

I see these things quite a bit also I even know where there is one for free its a 50s chevy 1 ton or maybe bigger that was left on the property when they logged it in the 80's at least thats what the tags say

23. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Sorry, I took the toolbox off because it was falling apart. And I think what was left got thrown away.

24. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

I've never seen a Ford flathead 6 with that kind of distributor. The older G series would have had a front mounted unit. The "modern" looking distributor didn't arrive until the H series in late '47 and it comes out the side of the block. (I know those were the car engines.) Is that an early M series engine? I don't know as much about the truck six.

Any more photos of the engine?

25. 47Ford - 1.5Ton

47Ford - 1.5Ton

Modern chassis....... all depends on what its use is truly going to be....

My 47 Ford 1.5 ton is sitting on a new (1987) frame..... solely due to the fact that I'll be moving 7000+ lbs on the highway daily....... Hence why the little 4 cylinder turbo diesel, modern OD trans, and disc brakes in all 4 corners, air suspension etc.........

At the same time..... back away 5 feet and you would guess its an original 1947 frame.....

If your planning on not having a daily out of it...... keep it original...

That being said the military jailbars do have a bit more value.... and I'd try to keep that by keeping the frame original.....

NOW.... half ton pick ups and 1.5-2ton trucks are a total different ball game when your talking the 1940's..... same size manaul master cylinders feeding back to a truck wieghing twice as much as its 1/2 ton counterpart..... yea that can get scary once you break 35-40 mph.... that and having 15 leaf springs in the rear will indeed get quite old...fast. (read no suspension unless you have half the GVRW loaded on the truck (usually totally 12-15,000 lbs....... (my 47 is stamped for 14,500 lbs GVRW).....

Really think what your going to use it for and go from there........

I've been extremely happy on how 'original' I've been able to keep mine....

Once my bumper is 47' correct... id be hard to tell....

[​IMG]

26. ZRX61

ZRX61
    from The AV

ARRGGGHH! *NEVER* throw anything away when working on these things, you never know when you might need something as a pattern. Bit bloody late now tho :(

Hell, I'd have even bought the remains from you so I could use it as a pattern.

Are the two brackets still attached to the frame rail? if so, can I get a pic of those?

27. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

I still have the brackets, but they are off the truck. I have some more pictures of the toolbox when it was on the truck. Here they are.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m70/fighterofwars/Ford Truck/P1000947-2.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m70/fighterofwars/Ford Truck/P1000951-2.jpg

Bit of an update on the truck that I'm posting, I'm done with driving this rusty looking thing around not knowing how much gas is in the tank. I'm fixing the fuel sender, and finishing body work, and hopefully painting it. Getting stuff to fix the seat, tidy up the wires under the dash, new tires on front. And finish the bed with some sideboards and stain it or paint.

One question if anyone can answer it. On my fuel sender, I have the sender hooked up directly to the gauge and all it reads is full all the time. When I unhooked it originally it might have been hooked up to something before it went to the gauge, I didn't know if the sender needed to be hooked up to something before it got to the gauge or if my sender or gauge is junk.

Still waiting on my new title and plates. Sent the stuff off when I got it, and about a month ago they sent a letter asking questions.

They had to come and examine everything. Check frame numbers which it didn't have, check engine number, which I couldn't find.

The only numbers I found on this truck was the tag on the dash. So the sheriff had to come down, take pictures of the engine, all the dash tags, and sent them off to an investigator, then he had to come back and write down the numbers off of the dash tag which we mailed off a month ago. The sheriff said my new title or something to go get my new title will come soon.

This kinda ticked me off, we had the original title from when the army sold it to a fella in 1949 and then the recent title from the previous owner, we paid the tax on the transfer and we had to wait almost 8 months to get this far. It's unbelievable.

Now I know that it was pointless to have it while I was working on it, but this last month is has been street legal and I can't drive hardly anywhere.

Sorry for the rant but this is a little ridiculous to make someone wait 8 months to let them drive their truck.

Anyway, I have had a lot of fun with this truck, I still want to do a hot rod with whats left of my 47 but there are numerous paths to choose with what I have to work with. But before that I got to get this done, get my car fixed up the way I want it, the list goes on and one.

One day though..

28. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

restore it and keep it stock.

.. PFFFFTT HAHAHAHAHAHH,, sorry.. no.. buy it and make it a hauler.