Register now to get rid of these ads!

The First Lap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. "A man with bulging biceps takes a classically red bandanna and wraps it over your eyes and around your melon. As he is over tightening the knot on the back of your head, he explains to you that he will soon punch you in the gut as hard as he can. Before he does so, however, he will be warming up by just barely tapping you four or five times in the mid-section. You will know when the blow is coming, but you won’t see it coming.
    The impact of his fist on your gut is like nothing you’ve ever felt before. Your breath leaves you and your mind goes black."

Never going to a party at your house! ;)

3. Sports Illustrated once wrote that going into the first turn at Indy was "The most dangerous moment in sports'. Now it's just a single file parade.

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The 55 pace lap from a different perspective:

Attached Files:

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Read this again.
    "I don’t want to get into a conversation about the big business of modern-day racing. Corporate sponsorship, the lack of innovation, soft drivers, personality marketing, etc…"

I think the Indy is still a pretty cool spectacle, and I gotta tell you, I don't have the cajones it takes to crawl into one of those machines and take it around the course at the speeds they are running nowdays. Of course I wouldn't mind a few hot laps....

Cool, my 1000th post.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  6. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Single file parade? Did you happen to watch the start this year?

7. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that based on this year's experience, the last lap ranks right up there in danger with the first.

8. Man,,think about the old days,,,

Ray Harroun,,1911,,Indy winner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or 1912,,look at the flagman out on the track,,:eek: HRP

[​IMG]

9. big creep

big creep

its really cool to see how much balls these guys had, to race with minimal safety equipment! im sure it was a lot for them then compared to how it is now.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure that I most likely listened to that race with my dad while headed somewhere for a Memorial day gathering and picnic.
    Those radio announcers could make you feel like you were there with them in those days unlike the ones we have now that waste too much time on trivia.

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

This was the year (and race..I believe) that the great Bill Vukovich lost his life in the 57th lap with a short 17 second lead....
    Great stuff Ryan.

[​IMG]

12. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

1955. hmmm, thats when I was born. What a site. What a feeling. Just watching this gives me goose-bumps. Thanks Ryan. Slim

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

On pole day 1955, the weather was bad and the winds were high. While most waited for the weather to clear (which it didn't) Jerry Hoyt went out and put his old upright on the pole with a speed that really should have been about mid pack.

Attached Files:

• JH.jpg
      JH.jpg
      File size:
      493.9 KB
      Views:
  14. Tommy R

Tommy R

Ryan, I know what you mean. I was a huge Indy fan growing up and in '93 I had my first chance to attend the 500. It truly was a memorable time and a truly unique feeling to be there on race day. The anticipation, the traditions, the crowds, the butterflies in my stomach....and I was just there to watch! I was fortunate enough to go again in '95 and '96 and it was such an incredible experience each time....especially in '96 when we got to sit on the front straight across the the pit entrance.

Tommy

15. Choptop

Choptop

ChopPop used to race with Len Sutton and Roger Ward, and ended up working with Art Pollard later in life. Always had a good connection with Indy in the Choptop house. A few years ago I had the great pleasure of meeting Rolla Vollstedt and getting him to sign a copy of his book (which if you have even a passing interest in Indy you NEED to own). The stories he told were amazing. He built Indy cars in his one car garage. Just came up the designs out of thin air then had Len Sutton test them out at speed. Amazing.

16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on, Ryan. Along with the F1's, these Indy cars are the ultimate racing machines, so powerful, precise, and fragile. Being a 45-year nascar fan and loving that 30,000 hp starting rush, I can only imagine what Indy's start must feel like.
    Have only been to one Indy car happy hour at Charlotte the day before one of Tony Stewart's last races in the IRL (we went to see him run the sprint race that day). It was like watching Navy F-4's without wings. Awesome machines. And imagine taking the fenders off of nascar!

Good race on Sunday (Indy), by the way.

17. Deadbird

Deadbird

Indy is a one of a kind. I've loved it since I was a kid and have been fortunate enough to attend about a dozen races through the 80's and 90's. Definitely one of my favorite places. Too bad it's lost a bit of its edge and become so expensive. Hard for me to believe how many empty seats there were in the stands Sunday. Seats to be had in the Paddock! Maybe I'll have to go back next year.

18. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

The voice of Tom Carnegie was what I remember most listening to the race growing up... Man, I just loved when he would say: There on it!

19. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

I had the opportunity to speak with Dick Kraft on several occations before his passing. With everything he had accomplished in his life of racing, (developing 'The Bug', holding many SCTA records, etc) being on pit crew for Jack McGrath was one that he treasured alot. He spoke of that experience often and he seemed to sound 35 again whenever he spoke of Mr. McGrath and Indy.

Thanks for sharing this Ryan.

20. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I used to listen to every 500 when I was a kid, read books about it, and read about all the drivers. One thing that hasn't changed over the years is that a real racer is the same today as they were 100 years ago. They want to WIN! Plain and simple, second place is the first loser, go big or go home. Why do you think there are so many crashes on the last lap. To a real racer losing isn't an option, chances get taken, mistakes get made, equipment gets destroyed, drivers die. But also in those moment ledgends are made.

Some things don't change.

Just my humble opinion. thanks for the clip Ryan.

21. oaktree

oaktree

Man, Does that bring back memories....I remember one year when Ryan was about 10 or 12. We flew up on a private jet and sat in the rain all day long just to have the race re-scheduled the next day. Plenty of time for a dad and a little guy to talk just about anything in the whole world. It was a good day.

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

1955 was the debut of the Sumar streamliner. Didn't work out too well so they took off much of the body work for the race. In this clip there's some rare footage of the car at practice in its full bodywork.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ewxKC_yYw

Attached Files:

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think this last weekend was the very first time I watched the Indy 500 on TV. it would probably be more fun for people who know who's who. the only people I knew were Ashley Judd and Danica Patrick. yummy.

[​IMG]

24. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I've worked F1 races, SCCA Trans AM, Can Am, and Midwest council as a Flagger and communications worker, Along with being a driver in various classes. On either side of the track the first turn on the first lap is unforgettable, especially at Brainerd International Raceway with a mile straight leading into a steeply banked right hand turn leading into an 3/8 mile straight. Done that on 4 wide at 150mph on the first lap, an experience I'll never forget.

nice blog Ryan.

25. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Roger Ward and Jim Rathman...???

26. flamingokid

flamingokid

Back in '75,I started watching the Indy 500 while listening on my Zenith Trans-Oceanic(Second Gen Transistorized Model)I found this much to my liking,as the radio version was far more descriptive and I still had the visual of the TV.It's almost as good as being there.Now it's hard to find a radio network that broadcasts it.Progress sucks.

27. Racingphotoguy

Racingphotoguy
    from Wisconsin

LOVE the 500. That place is special. Have to go to the museum every year too.

28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I think if you'd watch the end of that same race, the flagman was once again out on the race track. That's where Bill Vandewater liked to work.

29. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

I had the very rare opportunity to drive my roadster on the track as fast as I felt comfortable in going. I took the first turn at 65. Going down the long straight you absolutely cannot see what's around that curve: it's as though the track dead ends at the wall. A 90 degree turn.

Anyone who goes charging into that at 150, much less 200, is a very brave person indeed.

30. Rat L. Can

Rat L. Can
    from Indy

FYI, this year our car was turning in to T1 and T3 at 231.1 mph, without lifting of course. Different era, different kinda brave I suppose but still impressive.