Register now to get rid of these ads!

727 Torqueflite dipstick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kraken1930, May 30, 2010.

1. kraken1930

kraken1930
    from New York

I just purchased a 55 Dodge Truck with a 340 and 727 Torqueflite. I check the transmission, and the oil did not register on the dipstick. I added 2 quarts of fluid, and it just barley showed on the end. Since 2 quarts seems like a lot, I checked further, and I don't think it is the correct dipstick because it does not go all the way down the tube. Does anyone know the correct length of the dipstick. And are all 727 dipsticks the same length? I think the transmission came out of a 1971 Demon. I am debating on draining some of the fluid out, since it may be overflilled. Thanks for any information.

2. Hellvedere Steve

Hellvedere Steve
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Coalfield

I have a 56 pickup with 360/727. My dipstick measures 18 1/8 inch from base of stick to tip.

3. kraken1930

kraken1930
    from New York

Thanks for the information. I measured my dipstick, and it is also 18 1/8 inches. But the tube measured from the transmission to the top of the tube is 22 inches, and with the bend in the tube, is probably closer to 23 inches. Should'nt the dipstick be longer than the tube?

4. Hellvedere Steve

Hellvedere Steve
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Coalfield

I think you have the wrong dipstick tube. I measured mine, its only about 17 inches with the offset bends in it. Somethings not right with the combination you have.

5. kraken1930

kraken1930
    from New York

Thats what I thought. I am going to see if I can find a dipstick / tube combination from a 340 at some of the local junk yards. Putting in 2 quarts of ATF did'nt seem right. Thanks for your help!!

6. Hellvedere Steve

Hellvedere Steve
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Coalfield

You should be able to use any small block/727 dipstick tube that measures correctly. I would definately drain the trans and refill to spec, when you get the right setup.

7. kraken1930

kraken1930
    from New York

Does anyone have the specs on the exact length of the transmission dipstick tube? I think I have the correct dipstick (18 1/8), but incorrect tube. If I can't find the correct one, I am thinking about cutting down the tube to the correct length. The current tube is about 23 inches. My only other option is to buy a Lokar flexible unit. Thanks.

8. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

According to the guy above, the dipstick tube should be about 1 1/8" shorter then the dipstick, least his is. Sounds about right to me, when the pan is off, the dipstick is about an inch below the bottom of the tube. I don't have one off to measure. Gene

9. 4406

from Oklahoma

Are you checking it running in neutral? the pump does not run in park.. FYI