Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. Flyinsolo71 - Your story reminds me of the 50 Ford ragtop my friend, Kenny, owned 3in teh mid-70s. It really was a ragtop as the back seat area had almost no fabric covering it when the top was up and when it rained you had to lift your feet to avoid the tsunami that happened every time he hit the brakes!

Just remember, Bro, you're still around to make some new memories so try not to be too bummed out by this thread. There are a lot of good folk who are no longer with us.

2. madpiper

madpiper

3. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

...and getting Polio vaccinations when they became available in the 50's.

Also, most kids in the western states got vaccinated for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever ("Tick Shots") ... your arm hurt like hell for a day or so afterward.

4. Yup, and the TB tests that used a treated piece of surgical tape stuck on your back between your shoulder blades (so you didn't peel it off).

Getting measles just in time for summer, and a couple of years later, trying to get the mumps 'cause my folks told me it would be dangerous to get 'em as an adult (50 years on and I still haven't had them).

5. Deuces

Deuces

I was and still am in the center of all that. :) I sure do miss CKLW.. THE BIG 8. :(

6. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

I did not read everything so this may be a dupe:

Gasoline haulers dragging chains from back bumper to alleviate static electricity.

7. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I remember my mom and dad.

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

True, but can you imagine how bummed you'd be having to read all this cool stuff and know that you will never be able to have OUR memories and experiences because you were born too late?
    Man, WE were THERE!
    Sure, I miss all this stuff, but I don't miss all the bad stuff that gets ignored when we geezers and gezettes talk about "the good old days".
    Like, the aforementioned polio shots, friends with polio (!), medical techniques that were primitive by today's standards. Smog. The L.A. area was reeeeeal bad in the 50's. Many days we couldn't even see the mountains. And on and on.
    But, I'm not dumb. I remember all the crap from those days, which included, for me, growing up with legs braces, Frankenstein-style orthopedic shoes, wearing an eye patch for two years (none of which would be needed today with the medical advances), and the many other things that the young folks do not have to endure today.
    But, I'm here, not only on the HAMB, but in everyday life, to remember the great stuff, but ALWAYS (to myself) remember the hardships that come with "life" no matter when you were born.
    But the stuff worth remembering is not always the things we "celebrate"...

But celebrate I shall:

I got to spend saturday nights at LIONS because my folks were kind enough to drop my 11 year old butt off with $10 and dimes (for the pay phone) in 1961. They'd pick me up at the "Lions" sign at 10:30PM, sometimes by myself....and we never worried about any of it.
    I got to ride my bike to San Gabriel Drag Strip, which came before Irwindale was built..
    Dad and I would hit the jalopy races in Gardena on sundays, where one day I was introduced to a "hot" jalopy driver named Parnelli Jones.
    I get hang for a few minutes with Mickey Thompson, not only at LIONS (which he managed), but at his car shows at the Shrine Auditorium.
    Many times, I got to get a ride home in a police car when the officer would see me running home in a thunderstorm after school and he'd say, "hey kid, jump in".
    SURE, life was good back "then" (that I choose to focus on), but I'M SO glad to have been part of all of it. And, I know lots of you guys hate Southern California, but it was a wonderful place for a car-nut-kid, like me to grow up in, and love enough to stay within a three mile radius for 59 year years, so far.

I'm looking out the big window right now, looking at the San Gabriel Mountains just north about half a mile, listening to hundreds of parrots circling the skies, picture perfect blue skies, ready to watch the start of the
    Indy 500 for the first half-hour, then turn it off because I don't recognize any of the drivers names, then go for a drive in the '34, (which is the car I wanted in 1967, but could not afford to build back then, but I can now) all the while driving "somewhere", listening to music from "my" days and peering through a 7 inch windshield.
    My back aches disappear with a chocolate malt (not a shake), some tunes to match the mood ( this is a surf music, and wicked guitar day) and maybe a few photos along the way....and some smiles.
    I have no idea where I will drive today, but, what a thrill to know that after all these years, I'm STILL at it...still driving a car that makes me happy, just like I was 43 years ago when I had my 327"/4-speed, Model A panel...

If someone would have shown be a short "video" of my life "today" when I was a senior in high school in 1968, I would have been overjoyed.

"Holy Crap!, That's going to be ME?" WOW!

It's still out there...you just have to make it "yours"

1967, Route 66, Missouri

[​IMG]

2010, Route 66, Pasadena

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wasn't that one of the 'turbine powered cars' around 1967?

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

11. Rockabilly E

Rockabilly E
    from oregon

The father of many a children.:)

12. Mazooma1, yours was the best post of the entire thread. You sir, know how to enjoy life! And life is GOOD!

13. Totally agree with vintagehotrods' sentiments. These days I tell people that when I graduated high school (Fairfax, in L.A., class of '70) that four decades later, I'd have spent more than half my life living and (and get paid) traveling overseas, learn to speak a number of different languages, have friends in some pretty interesting countries and do all the other stuff I've done since then, I'd have asked them what they were smoking and if I could have a hit, too!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend; Mazooma1, if you need to cheer someone on at the 500, can I suggest Scott Dixon? I used to be a flag marshall at road racing events here in NZ and see this pudgy schoolboy racing his Formula Ford. That same kid is Scott.

14. going to texaco and after filling up the gas, windshields got washed, oil checked , belts, hoses underhood look see and an offer to check the tires and tire pressure... you got a tiger tail to hang out of the gas neck... and coupons to boot... trust the dude with the star............ miss that, no service, some f,ing muslim wants my cash and good bye.... what the f... happened...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: am i pissed off... OH YEA.......

15. budd

budd

i'd love to see the day when self serve gas stations were banned, how many people would have entry level jobs?

16. Oh, you mean like when we were kids? I think OSHA would have so many rules and regs it would be impossible to do anything...

...and to think so many of us were told the basics and merely sent out to the gas islands, checked on from time-to-time, maybe did some basic mechanical work when things were slow at the pumps, all for our $1.35 (later, $1.65) an hour and somehow we survived! :eek:

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

Knowing what places would sell you beer at 16. As noted earlier, being told to drive carefully after getting pulled over with alcohol on your breath.

Getting pics of your 16 year old girlfriends naughty bits developed without getting arrested.

Getting a chuckle when the Jr High principal didn't get the reference to your "Bee healthy" t shirt after he made your buddy turn his "Makin Bacon" t shirt inside out. Having to sneak out of the house with those t-shirts under another shirt.

Hitchhiking all over the place. Skinny dipping in the neighborhood pools in the middle of the night and knowing that the worse that would happen to you was getting yelled at to go home.

Bumper riding in the winter.

18. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Woolworth lunch counter in our little town....the pet department was 10 feet away, you could spin around on the stool and see the wall of fish tanks, birds, guinea pigs etc. right next to where you were eating....or check out all the cool toys while drinking your chocloate shake....Mom would bring me there after a trip to the dentist as my reward for no cavities.

How cool the old city busses were...just like trains they had character
    ..pulling the buzzer cord and having the bus driver yell at me (how the hell did he know it was me)

Those cool projector rooms back when the movie theater would actually run movie reels of celluloid film that sometimes "burned up" eliciting boos from the crowd

Playing with that foot measuring gadget at the shoe store

Kid's making fun of your cheap no-name sneakers...we called them "mickeys"

The old red brick candy store and the squeak that the comic book rack made when you spun it.

oh man, now I'm startin to feel bummed too.............

19. 117harv

117harv

Deuce3wCpe, you nailed it with the foot gadget, no name sneakers and the squeaky comic book rack i remember all of them, thanks.

20. 32bntm

32bntm

Coca Cola in glass bottles, and using a nail to put a hole in the top so every sip was foam.

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Son, that is NOT just a foot GADGET

it's, the irresistible Brannock Device....no kid could resist messing with 'em
    :D:D:D

[​IMG]
    Designed in 1927, The Brannock Device® foot-measuring device is a must in all retail footwear stores. Our device's measuring accuracy, quality construction, and simple, yet completely functional, design is what has made genuine Brannock measuring devices the standard in the footwear industry. The Brannock foot-measuring device saves salespeople time and allows them to effectively service more customers, leading to greater customer satisfaction and ultimately more sales. Shoe sizes and foot sizes are not the same. The foot needs adequate room within the footwear for comfort and performance. The Brannock Device foot-measurer is designed to indicate the correct shoe size allowing enough room for comfort.
    By providing a starting point for fitting, our device eliminates guesswork. All adult models incorporate the same three functional aspects, heel-to-toe, arch, and width measurements. These three measurements are critical for properly fitted footwear. With all three measurements available to the salesperson at the same time an analysis of the foot can be made without repositioning the device.
    Today's footwear is carefully engineered, designed and manufactured for maximum performance and comfort. To bring out those qualities footwear must be properly fitted. No matter how well the footwear is crafted; an improper fit will negate all other aspects. People spend three fourths of the day in their shoes so a properly fitted comfortable shoe is essential for satisfaction.

22. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

That's it!! I feel like playing with it right now.

Nice job Mazooma and thanks for this thread Larry.

23. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

the rolling ladder that ran on a track along the tall wall of the hardware store

the "grabber" gadget for reaching the stuff up high

the little wooden spoon in the paper wrapper that came with those ice cream cups- half chocolate, half vanilla -and the little tab to pull off the cardboard lid

those cast metal toys that looked like a little bomb...you put a cap in the end and threw it in the air and hoped it didn't hit you in the head

taping up a wiffle ball that got soft with black electric tape......

putting down pennys on the rails for the freight train to run over

riding our Sting Rays to park under the air raid siren when they tested it every Saturday at noon...After that thing would shut off it would take another 5 minutes to wind down....made the coolest sound.

24. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I still have a three on the tree and a lot of outher stuff you guys are talking about

25. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

gas was 25cents a gallon,I bought a 32 chanelled roadster for $200 and sold it for $500,and life was a hole lot easyer.

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

27. Granger Perry

Granger Perry
    from Albany, WI

I will remember all the things you guys despise now, and it will be called the way things where instead of the way things are.

28. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Who carried these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  29. Ice man

Ice man

You judged a cars power buy how far it went up a hill in Hi gear, or second if the hill was real steep. Checking the anti freeze every night cause we used alcohol base antifreeze and it would boil away if it got to hot during the day. Buying a 2 gal can of oil for $2.00. The wipers stoping, when going up a hill. Taking the battery in at night so it would have enough umph to start it in the cold morning. Choking the Model A down at night, so it had lots of gas in the cylinders in the morning when it was real cold, she would start right up. Caring a blanket to keep warm in the back of the car. Always having a inner tube patch kit in the glove box.

30. Listing to L.A. radio station, KFWB on my brother's transistor radio when we were on vacation at Lake Tahoe and the atmospheric conditions were right for the signal to bounce that far north. Nothing like good ol' Amplitude Magnification (AM radio) to get to those hard-to-reach places...

...altering the tuner settings on the same radio to get the emergency services band (i.e. cops, fire department, etc).

When KFWB's position as the top rock 'n' roll radio station was just about blown off the airwaves by KHJ. Is Tina Delgado still alive, alive? :rolleyes: