Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exhaust routing question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, May 29, 2010.

1. I'm in the process of fabricating a split exhaust on my 250 straight six. The forward pipe runs under my oil pan to the right side of the car. Where it passes under the oil pan their is about 3/4" between the pipe and the oil pan. Am I going to have a problem with radiant heat from the pipe heating up my oil? I could get some heat wrap and wrap it where it passes under the pan. Any thoughts?? Thanks, Todd

2. kustombypook

kustombypook

Shorty headers dump on both sides of the oil pan, so i don't see why running under the pan would make a difference.

3. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

There are many stock systems that route a pipe that close to the oil pan. Don't worry about it.R

4. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

yep plenty of cars run the pipe near the oil pan.

5. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

TUG...the exaust should have gone back behind the engine and then split. but your question was otherwise. 3/4 of an inch should be enough clearance, and next time leave the BEER alone before you crack out the wrenches! HA!...POP.

6. No drinking and wrenching here!! A definate No No. I did look at routing it behind the engine but it actually made more sense to put it under the forward half of the oil pan. I'm almost done and will post some pics. Todd

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Factory crossovers on single exhaust V-8's do it, so why not?

8. RDR

RDR

my 250 is routed same as you are doing...no problem in 80 + thousand miles...

9. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Finishing up my first inline. I put Langdon cast headers on it and routed my exhaust just the way you explained.

Havent put but a handful of miles on it yet, I didn't experience any issues though.