Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bashing Tin!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buick59, May 25, 2010.

1. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Today I finished a three day course at Sunchaser tools. Ken Sakamoto the owner offers a course on how to repair metal that will require no Bondo when done. He has developed a friction disk that heats the metal up (after much hammer and dolly work), I'll be damned this thing really is cool.

Here are the before shots of my 1964 Vespa engine cowl. Somebody had beat the shit out of it, with a hammer and covered it in mud. I just bought this Vespa and it has bondo all over it! So, I tore it apart.

After the paint is removed...
    [​IMG]

After the machinist dye and sanding! Its lumpier than a bowl Waffle House Oatmeal!
    [​IMG]

After a few hours of work, dig how it looks now!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Nice man, so you liked the class? I've always been curious but its a lot of moolah.

3. Excellent job and I'm sure worth the price of admission for the course. Over here, people are amazed at the amount of bondo used stateside on panels that can be easily hammered out.

4. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  5. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Yes, I did like the class and learned several things about how metal behaves, cold shrinking/heat shrinking etc. The class emphasis is 95% hammer and dolly work.

He also has a DVD for guys that can't take the class. I also bought a bunch of Martin hammer and dollies from him (my other hammers got stolen at a friends shop).

There was also another HAMB member in the class with me.

6. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I think there are two reasons so much Bondo is used.

#1 Many people just don't know how to work the metal back into shape

#2 They just want to work the metal back into shape, slinging mud takes less time, so they just get it "good enough" and fill in the rest with mud.

7. So, what does a friction disk look like? Whats the difference?:confused:

8. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

There really is no difference. Same principle. Stu

9. Thanks, I did a search and couldn't find any differences and saw the terms bounced back and forth in ads.

10. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Here is what the friction disk looks like.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  11. Looks the same to me.

12. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

great work, How bout a tech on how to use it?

13. jps03

jps03

I was in the class with Buick59 and enjoyed the class as well. My only complaint is that it seemed like the time just flew by. I had good results on my fender but I didnt finish it yet. I'll post pics of my piece later. Buick59's piece was hammered and turned out amazing when he was through with it. I also spent a small fortune on tools. I had no hammer and dolly experience prior to this class and feel confident with my newly aquired knowledge. Buick59 do you mind emailing some pics of the class when you get a chance. I was bad about grabbing the camera.

14. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

No problem, I have a bunch of photos.

15. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

I bought a disc and tools from him a few years back. Watched the video and went to work. Great tool.It really works as he says it does.

16. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

He who trademarked the name and wants to disinguish his (and as I recall 'the original) brand.

17. howco

howco

I'm looking up the site and ordering the DVD. My 37 Ford truck has a real bent up grill, I can't seem to find a decent used one for less than $500, so I think I will get to work on the old one, thanks, great post, I'm inspired....

18. DeadSleds

DeadSleds

U did a good job! I gained a lot out of the class, I'm banging dents out that need no hondo, just primer

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Save yourself a bunch of money and Pm John Kelly here on the HAMB. He sells a friction/shrinking disc that does the same job for a bunch less and has a DVD to show you how to use it. Use the money you save to help build your car. John comes on here occasionally but hasn't in awhile.

Frank

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  20. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I went to a metal meat / metal shapers ass. get together w aouple of weeks ago... 20$... AWESOME..

Great work bud.

21. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Naw, I'll buy mine from Ken thank-you.

22. Yes, no pun intended there is friction between John and Ken.

23. EddieSpaghetti

EddieSpaghetti
    BANNED
    from Texas

I also went to the Sunchaser School of Metalwork last weekend with Buick59. Being the most experienced student in the class, I will say that I too learned quite a bit. Some who may doubt what you can actually learn and accomplish in the 3 days of training would be very suprised. 2 of the guys in the class had practically NO experience with a body hammer, and they both turned out a good repair. A little more practice and they will be GREAT repairs. Dont get me wrong their "GOOD" repairs were still better than most repairs i have ever seen that were done by seasoned bodymen! I really enjoyed our group and glad that we all got along so well, there couldnt have been a better group! Everyone was helpful towards one another! Good luck in the future fellas, and if any of you are ever coming to Houston, hit me up!

Mike Stuart
    Painthouse

www.painthousetexas.com

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  24. EddieSpaghetti

EddieSpaghetti
    BANNED
    from Texas

Using the hammer of Thor to make some dents

[​IMG]

Start

[​IMG]

Some hammer and dolly work(wait thats not a hammer!)

[​IMG]

Instructor Bryan checking it out

[​IMG]

And finally....*drum roll*....the masterpiece

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

There Is a lot more to restoring and shaping panels than using a shrinking disc. Its not a magic wand.

26. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Nobody ever said it was a magic wand. I don't even believe in magic or wands, maybe you do.

27. EddieSpaghetti

EddieSpaghetti
    BANNED
    from Texas

Nobody ever said "this is the only thing you need to know". So go post on someone elses who may be trying to state that. We are just sharing our experience, and you come along trying to ruin that....buzz off Harry Potter!

28. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Nice looking work! There is no friction : ) between me and Ken Sakamoto as far as I know. I have always thought Ken's video was a good one, and I'm sure his classes are great. The disc was over priced and somewhat over-hyped. It is just a tool for making friction heat to shrink, and there is nothing magical about the ripples on the Sunchaser disc. A flat disc works just as well and is a safer tool. Many people think it works better.

The only reasons I started making discs was that Ken did not respond to my email requesting information for well over a week (he was very busy), and the price was high considering what the disc is. I'm sure the price has come down since then, but it was over $250 for the kit at the time, and he would not sell the disc by itself. I hand made flat discs for $40 delivered with an instructional video. Slightly lower profit margin : )

I no longer make shrinking discs. Master metalshaper Wray Schelin came up with the flat disc concept in the first place after finding the Sunchaser disc worked better as it got worn out and slightly flatter. He makes a flat disc that is the same as the ones I used to make but with heavier material. His email is: [email protected] If you want free videos showing how to use the disc, see my youtube channel below (parts 8-12 of Custom Metal Bodywork). There is no great mystery on how to do perfect metal work, and there is more than one way to get to a very good result.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer and would like to make your own disc, I show one method in this album:

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?action=openalbum&albumid=9980121727059

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  29. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

David (mindover) contributes a lot to the knowledge of metal shapers around the world and deserves our respect. He is a true metal shaping master who enjoys helping others. By all accounts his metal shaping video is one of the best available. There will be no buzzing off : )

John www.ghiaspecialties.com