Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need help I am baffled by valve cover baffles.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dannyego, May 25, 2010.

2. 2002p51

2002p51

He said he wanted them tall, which all of the ones on 222 are.

Not all of the ones on 216/217 are tall.

3. dannyego

dannyego

I didnt realize a 289 was such a pain in the ass motor. I cant even get a pcv grommit or even a breather with a pcv in it that will fit my crappy stamped steel chrome valve covers. I went to napa and they dont have em. I am in Ohio so Summit os my local speed shop if there is another "speed shop" local let me know and I will check it out, but I dont think there is. Ebays not any better half the shit you buy of there is wrong...or on the HAMB for that matter. My "original" cal custom valve covers I bought on Here ended up being Chinese repops when I got them. Oh well such is life. If anyone is running chinese cal customs on their 289 drop me aline and let me know how you got them to work. If you have a part # for a pcv grommit drop me a line. Cheers and Beers!

4. Muttley

Muttley

Did you read my post above? Do your valve covers take the push in or twist on breathers?

5. OR... here :D

6. dannyego

dannyego

push in...sorry

7. dannyego

dannyego

heres a pic of the offending push in oil baffle that doesnt fit between my rockers because its too wide. I used the same one in My cal customs on my chevy but they have a smaller hole in them so it fit between the rockers. The holes are the same size as my chrome cover on there now that are taller. Which I cant find a pcv grommit to fit, so either set I use I have an issue. Obviously people have been putting pcvs in 289s for 50 some years..why do they not make a grommit, and why are the holes so damn big!!!!LOL..Its my first ford sorry:eek:

Attached Files:

8. Muttley

Muttley

9. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

your first problem was using a SBC without a breather tube on the intake and buying valve covers with breathers..... yuck.

oh my god, i just read your last post... dude.. if you cant cut that thing down with a hack saw and get it to fit. please dont ever touch another car in your life, also you prolly shouldnt have any kids either... wow....... i thought this was a place for hotrodders?

10. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

Originally Posted by Muttley [​IMG]
    I have an ancient set of Cal Customs on my 289, the old ones didnt come with baffles either.

My old Pontiac ones did not come with baffles. They have never been installed so guess it's not a problem yet

David

11. dannyego

dannyego

Hey captain dipshit i could cut it down but it is a baffle...If I cut it down it wouldnt stop oil from being sucked up. Secondly Im talking PCV not breathers. Please read the rest of the post grandpa.

12. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i still do not know why you couldnt modify it to fit.... is there another part you arent showing????

13. dannyego

dannyego

I couldnt modify it for it to fit and still work as a baffle. Even if I did it wouldnt fit a PCV. Basically all I need is a rubber baffle that will fit a pcv and one that would fit a breather. If it was a chevy I would have no problem...They are both readily available at any auto parts store. I have gone to a few stores looking for them and the guys behind the counter have all said. Yeah they use to make those havent seen them in years. Summits no help either. Seems like a stupid issue because all 289s have the same hole. The crappy valve cover is to blame for some of the problem, but I find it hard to believe that no one runs a PCV on their motor, to the point they dont make the shit anymore for 289s. In fact MOROSO is the only company that makes the rubber bafle for SBC anymore.

14. 2002p51

2002p51

Dude, back on post #16 I told where to look! Ford Racing has valve covers that are TALL, they have BAFFLES, and they come with the ^$%#^%$# GROMMET!

What's the problem? I could tell you exactly where to buy them too but I don't want to get banned here for plugging the company I work for.

PM me and I'll give the info!

15. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

cant you just make a spacer for under the top lip of that thing?! so it sits up a little higher above the valve cover. also i know for a FACT that autozoo sells the rubber grommets next to the engine dress up stuff.

16. dannyego

dannyego

it would basically have to taper thinner to work so basically it just wont work. Summits sticking it in the ass of everyone that buys this setup because it wont work on a stock ford 289 period..read a few posts up of another guy with the same issue. Autozoo, only sells spectre brand breather grommets for SBC currently because they are switching over to import stuff only. I have a buddy that Manages an Autozone another buddy that runs a Napa and another at advanced. They are all stumped. I have been looking for a nice set of finned valve covers for a while for less than $200 and it aint happening. Check the classifieds on here I think theres one roached looking pair going for $100. If I can make these work, sweet if not they are going on EGAY..

17. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

you dont have a lathe do you?

18. dannyego

dannyego

nope

19. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

you dont have any rubber chunks laying around? any old shock rubbers that you can drill out and cut up? i mean it sounds kinda ghetto and hillbilly but you could use electrical tape maybe?

20. twofosho

twofosho

Pontiac V8s old enough to use a road draft tube used push in breather caps containing rudimentary filters on sections of tubing welded to each rocker cover top. This tubing had a sheet metal disc at the base with roughly a 1/3 of the disc bent down at a 20-30 degree angle to form a baffle. This more completely pulled out blowby gases out of the crankcase than a single tube at the front of the engine. As we all know all these systems worked more or less as designed for the elimination of crankcase gases above 15-20 MPH. Depending on engine condition, blowby could (and usually would) drench everything in the engine compartment with any length of time at idle.

After the advent of PCV systems Pontiac continued to use fill cap locations for intake of fresh air to the crankcase only. Crankcase gases were sucked through PCV valve by both sides of intake manifold in ports just ahead of carburetor plenums (stock 180 degree manifolds). The short smaller diameter vacuum lines from these ports were teed into a larger single line with a three port "F" shaped tee, and this single line curved around carburetion and into PCV valve mounted at rear of valley pan.

Actually newer (about '67 up) Pontiac V8s have long flat sheet metal baffles held above the rocker gear by being spot welded to three simple sheet metal stand offs bolted to the head bolts between pairs of rocker arms.

As far as the small block Ford, what's wrong with a baffled breather cap mounted to the outside of the rocker cover containing provision for PCV connection like Muttley showed you?

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, cheap is not always better. but, sometimes name brand has same problems. I have a 302 Ford that I picked up a set of the early classic Edelbrock finned valve covers for off craigslist for $30. but, no baffles. maybe came with them, but not with my purchase. at Edelbrock online tech info they have instructions that show baffles for some valve covers. but, not for the 4160 type I have. so, will make up a set with thin sheet metal when I get ready to install. but, Muttley's idea is good. have seen those type of breathers at swaps. maybe search Jeg's, Speedway, MrGasket, etc. The early Ford 260, 289? had a tall tube on one side before going with internal baffles. go back to summitracing .com for a look at the Moroso metal valve cover baffles for basic idea on making your own. while there look at the Ford Racing valve cover grommet kit that might fit openings in your valve covers. I use V/C gaskets like Mr Gasket Ultra Seal made of cork/rubber blend with steel core. you could buy the fancy valve covers mentioned earlier, buy try to use what you have first.

22. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

DANNY...you just need a hug, and a CHEVY...POP.

23. dannyego

dannyego

Mutleys would work if I had twist in ones.. Mine are push in, I will keep looking for something that will work with the shitty chrome cover on there now that fit. I guess Im just screwed on the cal customs, might as well Ebay them.
    Heck yeah I need a hug. Im retiring the ford for a while and am going back to work on my 56 Chevy. At least I can get parts for that at autozone:D

24. yt boy

yt boy
    from Spring,Tx

The issue is that the Cal Custom's are really short. I dont even think there is room inside for a really thin sheet metal baffle. The edelbrock 4160 vc's are about an inch taller and they have sheet metal baffles inside. Send the Cal's back. Spend an extra 75 bucks and save the hassle.

25. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Whoops. My mistake. I was looking at page 220.

:eek:

I don't know if the ones on 222 would look "period correct" on an early "HAMB" style car, but they'd certainly do the job just fine.

The ones on page 215 might be a better look for an earlier car, though a case could be made that the text on them wouldn't be right.

Decisions, decisions ...

:cool:

26. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

That does look like a good choice. They have a picture of that general style on the web site. Here is a link.

Edelbrock Classic Series Valve Covers

27. twofosho

twofosho

What's the diameter of the hole in the rocker cover?

28. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

can you put a piece of hose over the baffle so it sits up higher?

29. Muttley

Muttley

What about just buying one of the chrome Mr. Gasket push in style breathers and drilling the top for a pcv? It would be just about the same as what I'm running on my car. Theres nothing special inside the pcv/breather on my car, just a foam insert and a grommet for the pcv to fit snugly.

30. You can get push in breathers with a pcv already in the side. Would that work for you? It's the sort of thing that gets sold on ebay all the time. Look up Summit, they probably have them.