Register now to get rid of these ads!

project pic's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE SURGEON, May 11, 2010.

1. THE SURGEON

THE SURGEON

well i was able to get my pic's on my pc, dont know what the hell i was doing wrong but they are hopefully going to make it onto this thread,:confused: this is my 1940 pontiac project, the pic's of the front clip that i got from a 67 grand prix are on here and the running 400 i also aprehended are on here not posting in any certin order, got any ideas or input on what you think should be done to the car (chopped channeled sectioned ect..) feel free to post you opinion, mind you im building an old skool style rod, not a boyd cot. rod, and im doing this on as small a budget as possable, i want to burn fuel and tires not money

Attached Files:

2. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

Looks cool! It has a mobster look to it

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You asked for opinions, so....

First. Nice move on the Pontiac mill, you will love it.

Second, the subframe might not be the best idea as the track width is likely too wide for your car. The worst thing in the world is to have your front tires sticking out of the wheel openings. Lots of guys think you canfix that with wheel backspace, but you can't. If it is too wide, it is too wide.

Get out your tape measure and measure the track width on both cars and if the new sub isn't at least one inch more narrow, don't do it. Don't freak if your sub is too wide, there are lots of other options.

Third, don't chop, channel or section just yet. Many a project has been hauled to the scrap yard because the owner jumped right in to cutting the car to pieces with out the proper plan or skill level.

Get it running and driving first. Get some miles under her belt, then I bet the last thing you will want to do is hack 4 inches right out of the middle.

Nice score on the car, she looks like a good one. Lots of knowledge here, just ask.

Good luck, -Abone.

4. 41hemi

41hemi

Nice looking project. Glad to see your progress. On a lighter side....don't use the apostrophe while typing...you will make less grammatical mistakes;).

Last edited: May 11, 2010

5. THE SURGEON

THE SURGEON

thanks guys, im def. in no rush to go cutting the girl up, my boss that i work with has been building cars for well over 30 yrs so hes a fountain of knowledge, so i do have some good guidance as far as what to do and what not to do, havent gotten a perfect trac measurement just yet weve been moveing cars around in the shop to make room for mine, then out come the jack stands, measureing tape and beer, then will determin whats gunna happen, does look close tho, ive also heard good things about the 400 engine and was lucky to stumble upon it, but fist plan is def get it running so its moveable and then plan the body mods... 4in out the middle huh

6. THE SURGEON

THE SURGEON

well despite what anyone might say ill just have you know that a 67 grand prix front clip works out just fine on my 40, its welded in place in the next day here i should have it back on 4 wheel then swap the rearend out and on to the body, had great progress this week!!!!

7. psyco50

psyco50
    from Pomona,ca

That a nice project, Body is all there. What r your plans for it ??

8. psyco50

psyco50
    from Pomona,ca

never mind, it's all in your first entry, LOL.... It's gona make a nice rod.

9. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

I like the body you are starting with. The Front Grill makes it different looking and I like the smooth look of the trunk and rear fender area.

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

You don't see too many '40 Pontiac's around. Pontiac in a Pontiac, cool... :cool:

11. THE SURGEON

THE SURGEON

thanks guys!! im gettin there been waiting yrs to do this for myself, and yes a pontiac in a pontiac, i stumbled on that and was lucky