Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help removing a lug nut with a wheel lock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dannyego, May 26, 2010.

1. dannyego

dannyego

well, A car I bought had wheel locks on it, and long story short I dont have a key for them. Any Ideas or tools I could use to get them off? I tried hammering on a smaller socket and that aint happening..Filled a bigger socket with jb weld and put it on there and it just busted up the jb weld. Im getting a little frustrated. Harbor freights gotta make something right lol??!!:)

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I used a mini sledge and chisel.

3. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

could you weld on a piece of pipe? Grind off the chrome, weld on the pipe and turn?

4. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I use the hammer on a socket method, but I learned a long time ago It had to be an impact socket. then use a impact gun to remove it.

5. Bull

Bull

6. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

There are removal tools out there made specifically for that. Any wheel thief can buy them too, so the locking lug nuts are kind of pointless.

You can take it down to a tire/wheel shop, they usually have the tool to do it as well.

If it protrudes from the wheel, then a pipe wrench works. And as said before hammer/chisel, hitting at an angle to loosen the locknut.

7. James427

James427
    BANNED

I've had a lot of success taking either one or two big screw drivers and sticking them into the slots any way I could cram them in there then taking a large pipe wrench or adjustible wrench on the shafts of the screw drivers together to get them to turn. This works best with one person holding and pushing in the screw drivers while the second turns the wrench.

8. dannyego

dannyego

Thought about that, I dont know if there is a big enough area to get a decent weld. especially with my chicken shit welds. I may give it a shot though if I cant come up with anything else.

9. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Just need a good Sawzall.:D
    [​IMG]

10. 59 brook

59 brook

you may try a basin wrench had it work before used by plumbers to reach up behind the sink has a swinging jaw on it ridgid makes a good one

11. robertsregal

robertsregal

Weld a 3/4 size nut on top of the locking nut the heat will also help it come loose get on with air gun

12. Dr_X

Dr_X

I'm with AAFD take it to a tire shop. They do this all the time.

13. Carried a Channel Lock and a rag in my Cutlass when I was 14, never failed.

14. I don't know why you couldn't take a cutoff wheel, cut a slot down the front of it, and use the pointed end of a lugwrench to get it loose.

I've also thought you could defeat the key by using a socket ground so it just has four more or less evenly spaced pegs on it, the idea being if the socket is the right size the pegs should fit most any locking lug pattern/shape.

15. RichG

RichG

Um, should I ask?:confused:

16. moefuzz

moefuzz

Don't you guys in the states have an off shore importer tool importer.

You know, Harbour frieght or what ever?

Any good tool supply house will have a stud removal tool..

Get the stud removal tool that is big enough to handle you lug nuts and kiss those locks good bye.

Its just that easy.

This is the type I use

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And they will grip and remove very tightly screwed in studs (as well as wheel nuts)

Up here, princess auto sells them but your harbor freight should carry a similar model.

There are several models available from this one with it's 2 range holes to ones with a single hole and a slightly smaller body.

If your wheel lock is enshrouded or is in a tight area due to the casting of the wheel being in close proximity, you may need the single style as the dual hole version has a larger body.

You will need to get at least 1/2" of the lock inserted into the stud remover to get a good grip on it.

They work very well.

17. I have a Trans Am wheel that had to come off that way. My son in law cross threaded a lug, but used the big impact to put it on. I tried for hours to get that lug off.

18. dannyego

dannyego

Welding a nut on.....fail......couple pops of the impact and it cracked off
    Monkey wrench.......fail.......
    cut off wheel..........fail....... not enough room
    Fancey lug remover..fail.....tool shop and local mechanic dont have one big enough..looks like I hit a wheel shop tommorow. I succesfully wasted four hours of my day getting nothing accomlished...Who the fuck puts wheel locks on a car anway??:mad:

19. OLSKOOLCHEVY

OLSKOOLCHEVY
    from Idaho

i use a the hammer and socket trick, just used a bit oversized socket than lugnut smacked it on as far as i could then 1\2" size ratchet. good luck

20. James427

James427
    BANNED

I noticed you didn't try my method. I've bought dozens of cars with locking lug nuts and no key. That's how I've gotten every single one of them off.

21. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

loosen/remove other lugnuts>then drive back &forth will come loose

22. scaryfast

scaryfast

23. I have use a 12 point socket that was just a little smaller than the lock and hammered it on. The 12 points cut into the lock.

24. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good weld will definitely hold. Try it again.

25. rottenrod

rottenrod

the 3rd one works well i have the craftsmen version the second one is the best way but more expensive and in the past i have used an air hammer with a sharp chisel attachment you have to be very careful not to slip though as it will tear your rim all to hell very quickly

26. I used a old craftsman 13/16 spark plug socket and drove it on.

27. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Weld a larger nut on. The inside of the nut should be just slightly smaller or the same size as the head of the lug nut. Hold the nut in place and tack it to the lug nut. Completely fill the inside threaded portion of the regular nut with weld. Spend a lot of time on the head of the lug nut to get good penetration. Hit it with an impact wrench, not a ratchet.

In all my years doing this, I have only had 1 time I couldn't get the offending stuck/rounded/lock lug off. Do it all the time.

Good luck,
    SPark

28. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Hammer and socket never hit with a chisel.I know a shop owner that is blind in one eye from that trick shatters like cast.

29. at the O'Reillys i work at we sell that special socket to remove them , if i recall correctly it's not expensive