Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

Just got my 63 econoline pickup out of storage for the year an hour drive home It was kind of a work out Must need an alignment 55mph feels like 90mph

2. edweird

edweird

I want one !. I might even trade my coupe for a decent pick up.

3. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

Got mine primered finally! Last weekend I frenched in some speedway pontiac repop tail lights with their frenching buckets. They turned out great. Now on to the flake, and start piecing it back together. Can't wait to get this looooong project on the road!!:eek:

Attached Files:

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

Nice! I just looked at your album. That grille and dash look SHARP! I really need to think more creatively about my grille.

5. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

any recommendations on where to pick up a radiator and engine cover?

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

What motor are you running, and what year? The 65-67 boxes are taller and longer. 144-170 radiators are smaller than the 240 radiators.

If you're still running a small 6, you can get a '65 Mustang 6 radiator for about $100 brand new, and flip the flanges. Cools great. I ran mine like that in 100* temps stuck in traffic and the engine temps stayed steady.

If you're running a v8, a 240 radiator will do OK, but I had Kevin at Hot Rod Chassis put together an aluminum radiator for me. Fit perfectly

As for the box... ebay, junkyards... supposedly Chevy or Dodge flat nose van boxes will work, too and give you more clearance for v8s.. again, ebay & junkyards. There's a seller in Hollywood on ebay that sells a lot of Econoline parts. He's kind of a snot and way over-priced, but he seems to have a lot of stuff, so you could email him

7. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Thanks. Time to hit the boneyards I guess. I've got a 67 camper van with a big six. It runs but I can't drive it until I get a radiator.

8. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Not mine but my friend Jim ..Ck out the dullies !!!

Attached Files:

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

cool! Are the scoops functional? I was thinking about doing something like that for fresh air to the rear in my van.

10. IF...I find a buyer or trader for my 64 No Door (over in the classifieds) I will have 2 sets of "deluxe side trim", 67 doghouse and cover, 67 crossmember that is needed for the v8 conversion, and a econo 9" rear. I got 2 sets of trim from 2 Falcon Vans that had the wide trim on them as well. This is the same trim that was on the spring special. 2 sets gives you enough for a pickup or no door van and then a set for an 8 door if you happen to have one of those like I did.

Buy my van and you get the trim for free :)

Mooney

11. AD

AD

sorry if i over looked some info somewhere, but i'm tired of reading.. what i'm after is hop up tips and tricks on these 6 bangers,, i got a 114 in my 61 econoline, i read that these motors are pretty economical but not usually hotrodded.. is that really the case? why? is there any 4 speed trans options i can put on there? cuz i feel like it would improve the drive.. thanks for reading and any info could help

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

So, you want us to do all your work for you? Nice. I researched mine for years before I started tearing into it, lazy boy. All the info you asked about are in various threads here on the HAMB, and covered ad nauseum in the 2 main Econoline Yahoo Groups.

1. There's no such thing as a 114. You have a 144.
    2. Yes, it can be hotrodded, but it takes more effort and ingenuity than some other motors. There's a great book put out by a Falcon club on hopping up the 144 & 170.
    3. I had a 170/3speed and regularly had it in the 70-80mph range. It drove great.
    4. You can fit any trans/engine option you want in there if you have enough resources. I think some 2nd Gen Econos had a 4 speed, so you'd need all the shift linkages, trans, column, etc

13. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I found a nice rad on ebay for $150 shipped. It went in with very very little modding.

14. econolineherb

econolineherb

Hi Herb . Wish i had the money to buy your panel . Would go good with my other two panels :)
    The 4 speed trans is the some as a 3 speed with a lower first gear ( granny gear ) woulden't help top end .

15. econolineherb

econolineherb

The early mustang radiators are the same size . Make sure the hoses are in the same place , or the shop can change the tanks . Swap the brackets from your old one .

16. AD

AD

THANKS HELLFISH! yea and can ya blame me, 144/114,, it was 3 am when i was posted dat,, thanks tho', alot

17. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

hey nitrofc on your friend jim's pick-up whats up with the steering wheel area, cut out wheel, hand controls ? cool lookin' ride with the daul rear wheel,s

18. rev106

rev106

The option is to find a econo 4 speed, otherewise you're customizing. I put a c4 auto in mine, now it's somewhat freeway driveable.

for hopping up your 6:

http://www.classicinlines.com/

19. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

I,ve got a nice engine box, w/lid very little rust on lower edges. dont know what they are worth but shipping might be a bitch. i also have the side trim that i'm mot gonna use for sale. shipping might be tough on that too. i'ts very long. have many other parts too including, a big ol' 7 inch complete rear end, steering column cover, standard shift linkage and rods, two front bucket seats, glove box and door, front grille,sand blasted and in great shape, front drum brake assemblies (backing plates, shoes, wheel cyls, hoses,hardware), speedway 11 gallon round aluminum fuel tank with mounting brackets, brand new in box, lots of other stuff. let me know if any of this can help your "ECONOLINE MADNESS". WILL PROBABLY POST THIS STUFF IN PARTS FOR SALE AREA WHERE IT BELONGS, LATER BUT SOUNDED LIKE THIS WOULD HELP HERE FOR NOW.

20. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

to the top for the cool kids :)

21. edweird

edweird

any one?

22. TPrime

TPrime
    from NJ

Just found this thread... I'm obsessed with these old econo's, looking for one for a shop truck. Ya'll have some nice van's! For now, I get my van fix with my beat 96 dodge haha

23. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

Tried my hand at metalflake this weekend and it actually turned out pretty good. Got the dash done and the madness has overcome me, so I might flake the whole damn thing. Just need to get some darker sun glasses!!:eek:

Attached Files:

24. Dog427435

Dog427435

NICE!!:D I love heavy flake!

25. edweird

edweird

yummy!

26. Little six, big six...V8?
    There are a few out there.
    I know you are looking for a driver, but a few more specifics might help the one you are looking for rise to the surface.

27. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

I Just heat and sound lined my hood with a product called seal and peel its much cheaper than duraliner got mine at a hardware store in the roofing department a 25 ft rool did the bottom of the hood with not much left over.

28. thesupersized

thesupersized

yes, the scoops are to get fresh air to the A/C condensor that is inside the wall of the bed, i believe he is building it for his wife, very cool car.

29. virtualvanner

virtualvanner

The Econoline will be turning 50 with the 2011 model ! The production of vans as we know them in North America began in 1961 when Ford introduced the Econoline and Chevy introduced the Corvan.
    To mark this anniversary Ford has invited Ford Econoline owners to it's plant near Cleveland Ohio to celebrate the first 2011 Econoline rolling off the line. We don't have an exact date yet but it will likely be toward the end of July. I'm hoping to have that date soon to plan my own trip down there in one of my buddy's classic Econos.

30. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

the mid 60s trucks are really growing on me, I keep seeing a doo doo brown one driving thru my neighbor, it has EL LAGO COFFEE SHOP on the doors