Register now to get rid of these ads!

manifold for the raised block Desoto Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38 mopar_fan, Oct 28, 2007.

1. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Cheers Tony,
    I’m pleased you are getting a few miles on the manifold. Would love to see some photos on you car with the manifold fitted. Keep me up with progress on the 3x2. What carbs are you going to run and are you doing a progressive linkage to run on the centre carb or all three at the same time.

Regards

Peter

2. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi
    Tont sent me through a few photos that he is happy for me to share with you.

Cheers

Peter

Attached Files:

3. Are these guys ever gonna produce this for the low deck Desoto?
    I need one just like it for the 291,,with a 2x4 top.
    It looks great!

Tommy

4. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

So, first off, I must say that I recieved my intake from Duane Strombergs97, complete with three 97 carbs, and I am absolutly impressed. But, please forgive my ignorance, however, I am not quite understanding what this piece does. My intake has this stainless thing and I don't know what to make of it.

Thanks for your reply in advance,
    Michelle

5. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Hi Michelle

The original Desoto water pumps had a bypass hose that went into the inlet, and this stainless peice just allows that connection. However, I have a SBC pump conversion on mine so I am guessing its not required and can just be blanked off. Unless of course anyone knows different????

6. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..THANKS, HOT ROD MICHELLE, for the compliment on my building your setup. Looks great but will perform also..
    Let us know when you fire up the Desoto..
    Thanks Again
    Duane..

7. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Right on, thanks Stan for the info. And thank you too Duane. I'm really pleased with the way this manifold looks and I too am sure it will preform well once I get it on my 330 motor. I still have yet to make the trip down to San Diego where my car builder's shop and my car are currently located. But, I figured its ok. It will give me time to score a finned aluminium valley pan, since once I remove the old intake this would be the most oppertune time to swap out the old tin valley pan in lue of one that will make the motor visually pop. Everyone of my hot rodding friends, who has seen this manifold, in my garage, sans my car, has also been awestruck by its coolness. They all tell me what I already know; "just wait until you get that on your rod" they tell me. Boy howdy!!!

However, once I make the trip down there and have both the Wikkii intake and the finned valley pan hooked up, I will be sure to post some photos, which I'm sure you all will love.

Thanks again Duane for a killer job on a killer manifold. And thanks again Stan for the informaiton.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  8. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

The pictures show the indexing for correct venturi alignment. This eliminated any air/fuel deflection. Simple job for better performance..
    The intake is excellent in design and will perform very well..
    Duane..

Attached Files:

9. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi Hot Rod Michelle,
    Sorry for the delay in replying, Yes the tube is a water bypass that runs from the manifold to the pump. The intent is to keep water circulating within the block while the thermostat is closed. The theory is without the bypass you can get localised hot spots in the motor. The fluid will boil and pushed out of the radiator cap while the temp gauge shows the motor is cool.
    I recommend using the bypass. I believe the chev pumps have a place for the bypass to be fitted. Not a chev expert so will check.
    Let me know how it goes
    Cheers Peter

10. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Cool, thank you for the reply Peter. I think I'm going to keep the DeSoto water pump, so, I guess this water passage will just hook straight up to the O.E. water pump. I'm not quite sure what benifits there are to swaping the pump out with a Small Block Chevy pump, so, I guess for now it will stay with the factory set-up.

Ciao,
    Michelle

11. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Michelle..You can get a SBC water pump at any auto store if it goes bad while your driving..If your stock Desoto pump goes bad how long will you have to wait to get one..
    Duane..

12. 73RR

73RR

If properly rebuilt, the stock DeSoto pump will last another 100,000 miles and it won't cost a bloody fortune to adapt that shiverlay crap.

13. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I know Duane, you make a pretty valid point, however, as this other yahoo stated, it is expensive to purchase the adapter. So, I'm not sure yet what is in my future plans as far as water pumps are concerend. But, stay tuned though.

14. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

73RR..The question is how long will you have to wait till you find another or get the pump rebuilt????????????? God could rebuild the pump and it still could go bad..
    Duane..

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Thats a Stupid way if seeing things when useing Odd Engines.

If you start with Good parts you really dont have to worry about your Chinese Chevy pumps going out on the road.

Maybe i should switch to a Chevy set up, I have been running my DeSoto pump since '03 & MAYBE its gonna Go Out on me Soon.

NAHHH, Fuck It ... I'll just get one of my Extra Pumps & throw it in the car JUST IN CASE.... PffffffT

Checy Parts Adapting to a Hemi is just WRONG !

16. 73RR

73RR

...you must be a graduate of the 'How to Win Friends and Influence People Academy'...don't expect a Christmas card.

I keep DeSoto pumps on the shelf for 'most' people.....and best to leave religion out of the mix, you know how touchy the mods can be.

The thought process is simple: If you want to use shiverlay parts then why not just start with one?

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having a mixed bag of engines for various projects in the works or waiting for a project to go in, SBC, 41 Ford Flathead, 8-BA, 330 Desoto, BBC and 254 Flathead Ford I can easily see the validity of using an adapter to be able to run a part that a guy can find at any regular auto parts store anywhere in the country at any time.

73RR you may have the part on the shelf but for a lot of us that would mean sitting in a motel room on Sunday night and Monday night while we wait for the brown truck to bring the Desoto pump that you red labeled to us on Monday after we called Monday morning. In the mean time the guy with the adapter to run a small block Pump toddles into the closest open parts house, buys a pump over the counter and is off and running in the time it takes to swap them out.

Yes good parts new or rebuilt can and do last a long time but in cases where guys actually put serious miles on their cars and hit the road for events hundreds or thousands of miles away on a regular basis the ease of getting parts that will get you back on the road and going to or from the event is worth quite a bit.

I probably wouldn't use the adapter and adapt a Chev pump on the Desoto engine I have simply because it most likely won't go in a rig that does long distance running and I won't be all that worried about it. Right now it is supposed to go in a 27 T modified but that can always change.

Every one of us who has been around this game for a while either knows or has heard of someone who was stuck somewhere or who had to either haul his car home or store it at someone's house because a hard to get part broke on the road and there were none available. That's find if you range away from the barn with the vehicle is under 100 miles but the pits for guys who actually put real miles on their cars on a regular basis.

18. 73RR

73RR

Mr48Chev, you make some valid points, but at what point does the average car guy just hop in his ride and go for it? If we are going to worry ourselves about a water pump, then why not include the oil pump, distributor, clutch and third member? All can fail with little or no warning, but seldom do they, so who carries 50 different spare parts? Do you have 'big & littles' on your car/truck? Do you carry 2 spares?
    At the rate we hear folks post issues with oil vs flat cams do we carry a spare engine?

Hop in, sit back and enjoy the ride. If you have done everything as well as you possibly can when assembling your car/truck then everything else is left to fate/Karma.

Happy Motoring

19. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

OK, a Hot Rod is built the way a owner wants it..With or without the converted water pump..
    OK..Do it 73RRs way and don't think for yourself..
    Duane..

20. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Wish I'd not mentioned the Chevy pump now ;-)

21. Well, I'll probably get blasted for this, but I used a Chevy aluminum pump/aluminum adapter to save space at the front of my DeSoto engine (4+ inches) so I could get it in my 32 without hacking or chopping, and use a mechanical fan...the weight savings was a bonus. I didn't do it for the convenience of parts availability or any thing like that, but because I detest electric fans, and wanted a mechanical...

22. rusty55desoto

rusty55desoto
    from west oz

Any luck with low deck manifolds yet? my 291 is ready to go back together, got a 500 holley for the mean time, would love a blower manifold down the track.

23. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I don't think its 73RR's way, I believe it was how Chrysler designed the Engine for all 3 Hemi Versions.

I would just about Lay Money that a Quality Rebuilt or N.O.S. Hemi Pump will out last ANY of the Mass produced Chevy Crap you guys are buying at ANY Auto parts store.

I don't carry a spare Pump in my car, But if i was worried about it on a long trip i sure as Hell would throw in the spare New pump i have for my De Soto WAYYYY before i converted to a Chevy Pump.

Every one has the right to do whatever, I just dont see the Reasoning of ease of replacement as a Valid point to Adapt parts like this.

If your worried about stuff Failing, Buy a Brand New Camaro !

24. 73RR

73RR

Duane, sorry if I ruffled your feathers...not a clue what your reference is to.
    If you want to use shiverlay parts, go for it. It won't be cheaper, but it might have a bit more shine if that is important.
    The stock pump fits in the stock location with all of the associated stock parts. For some of us simplicity trumps fads.

Happy Motoring

25. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Rusty
    Sorry missed you question in the water pump debate. The news is slow news on the low block manifold. Will not list the reasons but it will happen. Been slow on the raised block manifold production but got some ready to go now.
    Will let you know how it goes.
    Cheers
    Peter

26. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi People,
    Just a quick note to say I’ve buckled to pressure and decided to join a bunch from the Hamilton Hot Rod club and visit you fair shores.
    We arrive in San Francisco on 28 July and are going to take in Midnight Mass, Reno swapmeet and then onto Hot August nights. nostalgia drags and then the Pomona swapmeet before flying home on 16 August
    Keen to catch up with anyone who has shown an interest in or even owns one of my manifolds. Would love to see one on a car while I’m over there so if you are going to be at one of the above events drop me a email.
    Thinking about packing a couple of manifolds and trying to sell them while I’m over there.
    A couple of people offered to provide me with a low Desoto deck manifold for the development of the low deck version. Will try to pick that up while I’m there Yeah they are heavy but hopefully I can get a deal on shipping it back
    Cheers
    Peter

27. Have fun over there Pete - you will have a B L A S T !!

Rat

28. I have a low deck alum DeSoto manifold you could borrow...

trakrodstr

29. 35desoto

35desoto

Caught up with Pete at the Tauranga Swap meet this last weekend and saw his manifolds and cast aluminium rocker covers for the high block Deoto
    Both were a credit and I am enviously working on how I can get some of those dollar bills into his hand

Thanks for the chat Pete - enjoyed talking dirty over Desoto's

30. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Thanks for taking the time to talk, was a pleasure catching up and feel free to call at any time. Next time you are in Hamilton, call around for a warm chat and a cold beer. Was nice being inside at a winter swap meeting. Rotorua (if I can face the cold) swap meet next then onto California ;-)

Cheers

Peter