Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best mechanical fan opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6berry, May 22, 2010.

1. 6berry

6berry

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

3. 6berry

6berry

alright thanks. that one does look a little better than the ones i found. and its cheaper too

4. mj40's

mj40's

I have used a couple of the ARA air conditioning fans. They are a metal six blade and most of the depth mounts to the engine side with a flat front. Moves a lot of air.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I have always used the stock 4 blade older GM fans and they have worked great..And they look old because they are..........

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Take a little advice and give a very close look at any used fan before using it, paying real close attertion to presence of cracks.
    Back in the '70s I built a SBC and installed it in a 4wd Jeep truck.
    Was at the parts store getting something when the machinist there came to front and saw that I was in the truck It was out front idling at the curb while I was inside and with my permission he went out front, raised the hood, and while standing on the front bumper reched over and jazzed the engine a couple of times.
    Heard a loud "bang", he jumped down off the bumper onto sidewalk as I ran out the door. I'm telling you, he was as pale as this window where I'm typing this message!
    Switched engine off and took a look. Fan blade had broken off, went straight down and hit the asphalt pavement so hard it cut a gash about 1/2" deep! Had that blade come off straight up, it would have sliced into his belly so bad I doubt he'd have lived through it!
    Examination of the retrieved blade and the remainder of the fan revealed old cracks with rust in them.
    So take heed and check out any old fan closelt.
    Me, I put on a new, name brand fan on anything I know is gonna be revved past 3K! And that's anything I own!
    Dave

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Like I said; I use good inspected old GM fans for all my builds and they work great and look old because they are...........

8. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

Run the solid 5 blade or a Spal electric fan.

9. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Got a 17" 6 blade AFCO on my '57, moves plenty of air even at idle.
    Seems to be very well made, but I still wouldn't spin the motor too high with it!

10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

For maximum cooling, if you have the room run a GM 4 blade truck fan, last 3 numpers in the parts number are 442. It's a high pitch, 19" diameter 4 blade fan that moves a ton of air. We have used them on racecars for many years. Tonight we ran 190* after 20 wide open laps on a very heavy track, we only use a 19x26" radiator, no shroud.

If you need it, I can get you the whole number, I think All Star Performance sells the same thing.

SPark

11. 6berry

6berry

lm14, is this the fan that you were talking about: http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=582?

Right now my choices are:
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-H...ans,39902.html
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Four-B...-Fan,6561.html
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-F...Fan,39903.html
    http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=582
    in case it matters, its gonna be a street car that might see the track on an occasional weekend. headers, intake manifold, and 4 bbl. running a pretty big aluminum radiator from unknown car.

12. R Pope

R Pope

Whatever you do, don't put a baloney slicer flex fan on it! I like factory viscuous drive fans when they work. When they quit, I go to a four or five blade truck fan if they'll fit.

13. 33 5 window coupe

33 5 window coupe

not mutch clearance in my 33 ply,went to speed shop bought a 13'',4 blade fan,works great.

14. 69fury

69fury

i dont like them at all. I've had them come apart and slice through batteries, and steel brakelines. If it's a closed hood car and looks arent the most important then get a thermal/clutch fan and a good shroud, and forget about it forever.

For performance rides that rev over 5,000 with regularity, i only use electrics.

After seeing them come apart on stock vehicles, and perf rides, i refuse to add risk or danger to a car when it could be eliminated.

I had a badass flexalite stainless 10,000rpm rated flex fan for a while, and every time i worked on the car, i donated blood on it's edges.

That also made me question why i built a 500 horsepower rotary guillotine.

If it's not built for racing (electric) and it's not built for traditional show (fixed factory steel) then it must be a cruising car to be used alot, which to me, gets a shroud around a thermal clutchfan.

rick.

15. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

6 berry:
    That one is suppposed to be as good as the old GM truck "442" fan. I'll look tomorrow when at the race shop for the full number on the GM fan.

69fury:
    We routinely turned 84-8600 RPM for 20to 40 laps at a time and made 735HP with our Yates motor. Never a fan problem, never a heat problem even on really heavy/hooked up tracks. Had to run mechanical, electric not legal. Not a bit worried about a good steel fan made for racing. Stay away from flex fans.

SPark

Sixhundred sixteen likes this.
  16. 6berry

6berry

ill check autozone tomorrow and see if they have the fan your talking about or a similar one. ive heard to many bad stories to think about getting a flew fan. id rather go with no fan