Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Continuing with Andy Hampton uploads.

When ARCA ran a 100 lap race instead of a 500 lap race, they used to run heat races and the ever-popular Trophy Dash too, as part of the afternoon's program.

Found this shot of a trophy dash at Eldora, that simply had the best - Andy, Benny, Iggy, and Les. Don't know about you guys, but I'd pay some darn good money to see this race again ! Don't have a clue who won. Don't really care - just glad I was there.

Enjoy

Vegas_Oldtimer

[​IMG]

2. FallsCity48

FallsCity48
    from Nashville

Vegas_Oldtimer... You better believe I'm enjoy it !!
    Use to watch the ARCA boys come to Nashville every year ..... always a heck of a good show. I'd pay double the NASCAR today's prices to see that bunch run again !!! Thanks so much for sharing.

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, VegasOldtimer. Those were the days. Benny and three Mopars, each of whom, if they couldn't win, would rather see Benny win than another Chrysler product.

Looks like Les is getting in position to get Benny a little out of shape, don't it?

I can't remember who won it, either.

4. RICKLou

RICKLou

The Plymouth is probably one of Ray Nichels cars. Nice shot !

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I think a little research would turn up that all those Mopars were Nichels chassis. Benny's was a Jack Bowsher product.

6. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

From the Buddy Crouch collection.

7. jughead2

jughead2
    from tenn.

anyone have anything on a Jack Hardin? he drove a ford at daytona around 1965. my brother-in-law was on his pit crew age and memory has taken its toll dont know if he ever won anything. most of my racing back then was on the dragstrip. i just never could go fast and turn left.

8. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

35touring, nice old photos. The photo of Bill Kimmel (69), would that have been at Richmond?

9. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

I am not sure but would guess it probably is Richmond.

10. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Wasn't Buddy Crouch one of the owners at Richmond at one time? And I think I recognize the flagman, first name was Billy. I think Mr. Crouch called me to come down there and finishe out a season.

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Wasn't Buddy Crouch one of the owners at Richmond at one time? And I think I recognize the flagman, first name was Billy. I think Mr. Crouch called me to come down there and finish out a season.

12. #502 1968

#502 1968
    from NW

Sticker I have. Dated 1967 on the back.
    [​IMG]

13. #502 1968

#502 1968
    from NW

14. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

nashville speedway

15. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, bnorton734. Great aerial photo of that track.

16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Hey, #5021968. I remember after we reconfigured the oval at IRP in the 90s and I was asking drivers what they thought of it. At the NASCAR weekend the best answer I got came from Hornaday...

"Hey, any banking is good. I come from the flattest racetrack in the world - Saugus Speedway!"

17. 6erwebb

6erwebb
    from Nashville

It may be a long shot but does anyone have any pictures of an ex racer named Randall Ritter? He was based in Nashville from the late 70s to the early 90s. He is one of my dads customers and is always telling me stories of when he raced with "the big boys".

18. allstarracing

allstarracing

And he was right. The track in one and two fell away. It was actually debanked. If you could make a car go around that corner you could make it handle anywhere. Allstarracing

19. 15ASedan

15ASedan

From 1982 - Turn 2 at Saugus. Honaday is in the yellow #97
    [​IMG]

20. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Isn't the term "reverse camber(ed)"? I always thought that turns 3 & 4 were more "banked-outwards" than 1 & 2.....at least it appeared that way from the stands.

21. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Great picture. That's the place!

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I understand, you understand. But I also understand "debanked" even if it's the first time I've heard it. Good one, allstar. Thanks for the photos, guys.

23. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

24. RICHMAC

RICHMAC

Hey guys, GREAT site - and some truly unbelievable pictures. My name is Rich MacDonald - my father (Dave MacDonald) used to race in the early 60's - mostly on the road racing circuit but he did compete in 6 NASCAR events. I'm currently updating his tribute site and scouring the web for photos to put in his NASCAR section...which is pretty bare. I've gone through all 163 pages in this thread but unfortunately didn't see any of him. If anyone on this forum has a NASCAR photo of Dave MacDonald - or photos of these specific races - http://www.davemacdonald.net/gallery/racing/nascarSD.htm - I would truly appreciate it. I'll definitely credit the photographer on my father's site.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I don't have much to contribute to this site in terms of NASCAR photos, but I have posted some home video footage of the 1963 Golden State 400 that you might enjoy http://www.davemacdonald.net/gallery/video/youtubevideogallery.htm<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks again guys - great site.<o:p></o:p>
    Rich

25. butch27

butch27

Great driver. I was in Indy that year. Rough one.

26. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

The name rings a bell. When was the last time he raced at Riverside? The first race I attended there was in 1966. I posted some pictures that I took at that race back on page 138. I also have some pictures from a Nascar West race at Cotati raceway back in 1964 which I haven't posted yet. Did he race in that one? That was the first PCLM race I ever attended and I can no longer remember who most of the drivers in my pictures are. :(

27. stasis096

stasis096
    from Michigan

Bob Burdick #53 leads a pack of cars during the 1960 Daytona 500
    [​IMG]

28. stasis096

stasis096
    from Michigan

Red Farmer after a huge wreck in the 1975 Permatex 300
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. stasis096

stasis096
    from Michigan

Dale Earnhardt's car after flipping during the 1976 Dixie 500 at Atlanta (pre-flip picture too).
    [​IMG]