Register now to get rid of these ads!

bodymen What part is the most boring for you.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, May 20, 2010.

1. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

hey, i resemble that remark!;) seriously though, the absolute most boring thing for me is, listening to every customer constantly moan about their deductable! i got a kid in college, the mortgage is due, the car payment is due, i just paid 10k for these implants, bores me to tears........... i feel better now, thanks.:)

2. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

BLOCKING BLOCKIN BLOCKING!!!!! i hate it! with a passion! trying to get out all the heavy sanding scratches and shit.. the ten million stages of blocking.. block with 180, then block with 300, then prime, then block again, then paint, then clear, then block it again.. holy shit then!!! this is the exciting part.. you get to buff it and see all the lil spots you eff'd up on.. and more than likely.. lets face it.. you will have to sand out a few run you didn't notice you put in the paint. guh.. maybe its the painting process in general i'm not the fondest of yet... :rolleyes:

3. Exactly......when I first started it was kinda fun. Now it's just a job....:rolleyes:

4. mj40's

mj40's

I would say sanding louvers (cheese graders)

5. GaryC

GaryC

And that's what a lot of people don't understand.

"oh you are SO luck to get to play with cars and get paid"
    Yeah.. well. Do more than a few of them and you'll learn it's not all fun and games. Is it better than sitting behind a desk and staring at a computer monitor all day? In my mind, hell yeah. But is it all fun and games? hell no. It eventually becomes just another job and just another car.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  6. realkustom51

realkustom51

Seeing my brother working clean and sober is pretty damn boring. It gets real bad when he's sober.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      216.5 KB
      Views:
  7. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

i hate all the masking!!!!

8. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

The whole world sucks; and then you die.

9. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

If you drink some Thinner, it all goes a little smoother ! ! !

10. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

11. I actually like the sanding... I get to listen to all the voices in my head entertain me - I find it mindless, but not boring - probably why I get asked to paint everybody's shit and mine is not painted... If you want boring, go ahead and hang those hinges wrong - put yourself in a mess you can't adjust your way out of and watch that project lanquish in the corner of the shop until "someday" when you're gonna have the ambition to fix it...

12. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

i love my job, sanding is not that bad. cut and buff sucks BIG TIME. oh yeah detailing as well.

but then again i have a cool place to work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Most boring for bodyman,hmmmmmmmmmm. Well I feel the blocking and sanding is considered paint work. Color sanding and buffing is make ready work. Bodywork to me is not boring. It's always a interesting challenge everyday. Even after 29 years of doing it, it still holds my interest.

14. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

Waiting on filler or primer to dry. When I block it is tedious, but when the lows are filled it makes up for it. Seeing and Knowing the end result makes up for it right?

15. I dont find any part of the process boring...even after doing it for 40 years...What I DO find boring is dealing with the assholes who tell you what they think your skills are worth when they toss out a figure that they think is fair to pay you. THAT'S boring.

16. PUTRID FAME

PUTRID FAME

once you start on it there's no turning back. it can seem like its never ending haha

17. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Used to do body & paint for a living......from thr time I was 17 till I was 33. Taking an insurance job of a boring stock POS & returning it back to a boring stock POS paid the bills but was totally boring. Got burned out on it and went back to school, got my Drafting degree & have done that for 20+ years. Now working on my own cars is fun again!

18. Ohlly

Ohlly

The part I like the most is whenever someone wants a price they always say " Im not trying to build a show car. " Then when they pick it up they find the small flaw down on the rocker and start cryin. Another one I love is "It dosnt have to be perfect" untill its not. One guy ask if I dont prime it will it be cheaper, he said it was a wasted step. Sorry for the rant I heard "not a show car" two times this week.

19. MarkS1975

MarkS1975

I've been doing bodywork for years and quite honestly I rarelly get bored, its a labor of love for me . It puts me in another place (peace of mind ) and at the end it's a feeling of self pride. But be weary of the prepper all the precious time of blocking by hand can be ruined by someone running a DA over it just to primer and at the end ....nothing but waves.

20. lasctchance

lasctchance
    from Oakley, ca

21. Me too.

22. kenseth17

kenseth17

The day job is working on semis, so I'd say scuffing around a bazillion rivets too.
    Been doing this 20 years now. All still tedious, long and can get boring quick, and leaves you pretty poor after all the effort and hell you put your body through. But what to do now at 40, its about all I really know and have done to make money. At makes it a little easier when you like the vehicle you are working on, like the direction its going, and think of how cool and nice its going to look when done, and your the one who did it.

Most of the things I've worked on have been boring cars you see a hundred others of on the road, or some else stupid. I've spent time most of my time working on fabricated yacht parts, boring insurance commuter cars, city vehicles (damn that garbage truck was huge and thought I'd never get out of the blasting booth), and even some time painting some nasty smelling carc green on parts that were for a place that built vehicles for the military. If it was muscle cars and hot rods, well then maybe it would at least be a little more interesting, even if it still left me poor.

The painting part can be fun occasionally, when all goes well. The painting and finishing part is what I liked best when I was going through schooling, and thought I was pretty good at it. Buts its been many years now since I've been on that end of thing at the daily job, and spend a lot of my time cutting, grinding, slinging mud and sanding sanding and yet more sanding.

I've heard that- doesn't have to be perfect, not looking for a show car, ect enough, just with the small amount of side work I've done the past couple years. Think If I start doing some work on the side again, once I find a new place, I'll just tell those, well take it to maaco then, because a both a nice paint job you would want your name attached to and a show car job take a sheet load of work, and there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two, other then how much time you spend fixing any little flaw you find.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

ANY car built after 1954 with the exception of race cars and sports cars. :mad:

24. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If you dont like bodywork you're in the wrong hobby. I personally find it all to be pretty damned fun. Nothing like making some wrinkly wavy ass metal straight, then standing back and looking at the fruits of your hard work.

25. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Thanks to all that replied Hinges are almost done . Door will be finished this weekend....... Just needed to vent ............

26. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

door and trunk gaps

27. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Dup Post Sorry...

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  28. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR