Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember when AMT Model Car Kit was $1.50

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, May 2, 2010.

1. Deuces

Deuces

It's out on the shelves again for about 19 bucks.

Attached Files:

2. Thumper

Thumper

Fred's Model World Is another place to pick up some oldies. I still build and remember the "good old days" when every drug store and 5 & 10 store had a hell of a selection of kits and paint. I'm 56 and will never stop building.

My son builds a few now and then but now mainly races slotcars.

3. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Dude was marching to the beat of his own drum ! Finally got ousted from chanell 8 for blowing up the frog. He destroyed Parma and Dorothy Fuldheim. AMRAP

[​IMG]

4. philo426

philo426

5. Chuck R

Chuck R

HeyBob, Do you remember when you could get a Model car kit for $1.00 at the old Sprouse Ritz?

Sure do, and paint was only .19 cents.

[​IMG]

6. Deuces

Deuces

We used to watch him on CHANNEL 50 UHF or VHF back in the day on Saturday nights... No cable or remote controls back then. There was a time when we'ed have to get up off the couch and change channels on the old tube... I was alot thinner back then... :) :(

7. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Yes I remember those days. Anyone remember building the Green Hornet T-Bucket from Monogram I believe. My favorite.

8. burnt clutch

burnt clutch

YES -thank you for that! Only 3 more yards to mow!:p
    -Karl

9. wvenfield

wvenfield

10. Deuces

Deuces

That's a very cool build..... Love the detail! :)

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hell yes i do. Its a cry'n shame how much it cost today! I remember the first one I bought it was $1.00, thought it was $100 till mom told me the dot was where there dollar stopped and the rest was cents. Lol

12. Deuces

Deuces

I still have a receipt for a BIG 1/8 scale Monogram '65 Corvette from Woolworth's that was bought in '66 for 6 dollars and some change.... Now days, those big scale kits go for anywhere between 80 to 100 bucks.. :eek:

13. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

In 1958 when AMT/SMP kits first came out , we were paying $1.35 at Bressler's Toy & Hobby on 7 mile rd. in Detroit. Getting promotional models for 2 bucks.

14. Church Key

Church Key

Ah...Woolworth's. I don't have the receipt, but I remember buying Linberg's Exterminater Dragster there for $8.00 and taking the bus ride home for a dime. I have wanted to buy a new kit since they reissued it several years ago, but the hundered dollar price tag and the terrible art work has not made it a priority. I wish the model companies would understand that a sturdy box and that great original art work is a much desired part of these reissues.

Deuces likes this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

I used to work over on 8-mile rd. in Farmington Hills.. :)

16. Deuces

Deuces

The ones I have are molded in white, black and chrome, I love the engine options they give ya.. Twin supercharged 312s, a 6 carb virsion and a Potvin setup. Fun stuff! :D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  17. Deuces

Deuces

Here's Lindberg's latest Exterminator release.. They also brought back some of the old classics.. You can check those out at: www.modelroundup.com and click on the Lindberg gallery. :)

Attached Files:

18. i would build them and pour lighter fluid on them and watch them go up in smoke --oh man i wish i had them back today !!!

19. 33pickemup

33pickemup

I remember when they were $3.00-$4.00, I would beg my Mom or Dad for a kit everytime we went to a Ben Franklin store. I still have a few of the kits I built when I was 13 or 14 years old. Plus a couple of hundred unbuilt kits stored in the basement:eek: I just cant seem to let em go, I still look at the kits just to see whats there, at every swap meet.

Deuces likes this.
  20. Deuces

Deuces

I've been thinking about combining the Exterminator chassis with the new '25 Tall T coupe body and build a chopped T Comp Coupe dragster.. This should be a fun build. :D

Attached Files:

21. URY914

URY914

I remember one Christmas. My mom had bought me the Garlit's slingshot model and had it hidden in the closet with the rest of the stuff. She went off one day and left me in the house alone. I went in the closet with my xacto knife and cut the plastic and removed the parts and replaced them with other parts. By the 25th, I had half the car put together. :D

Most kits were $2.00 for me than AMT came out with the semi trucks and they were $5.00!!

22. 56 Rum Runner

56 Rum Runner
    from Missouri

All of my models came from the pop bottle tossers of the early 70s. My best friend and I would walk the road and when we had enough we'd go to the gas station in town. He took the returns and also sold models. My friend and I would set at my mom's table because she was the only one who didn't mind the smell of the old model glue and model paint. Many happy Saturdays were spent putting them together. Those were also my first mod's. Chopping the roof pillars, using some of the round plastic that had held the parts to fab up roll cages or shortened axles. Cool memories.

23. howco

howco

Paper route baby, always had money, bought many AMT, Revell, I remember when the first 'metal flake' paint came out. I used to glue old fine wale corduroy in the seats for rolls and pleats, made plug wires out of black threat and glued them to the distributor, once, I actually made a dip stick out of wire and used the next gauge up insulation for the tube, I even used nail cutters to scribe full and add oil marks on the dip stick.
    ben building the real thing ever since, it was a good start.......

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

What brand engine oil did you use??

25. Deuces

Deuces

Was this the kit you got??? :D :)

Attached Files:

26. knumb knuts

knumb knuts
    from tempe az

I think kids buildings models is a huge part of them understanding and enjoying rodding. I used to look forward to my dad's Street Rodder magazine each month just for modeler's corner (I love when someone's car on this board gets in the mag and the "cool" people rushing to say they will actually "get" the magazine this time, the cool ones would never have a subscription (or a car with with red wheels)). I started building when kits were $3.99. I have huge collection a now would like to sell towards a 1:1 scale rod, damn inflation but viva Tim Boyd!!!!!

27. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah! He does some fantastic work. :)

28. Deuces

Deuces

I bought an AMT 1/6 scale '57 283 "Fuelie" motor kit from Ebay not long ago... It was only 14 bucks... Not bad for a kit that has over 300 parts to it.. I'll post some pictures of it later on tonight after I get back from a car show.... :)