Register now to get rid of these ads!

Man-A-Fre or Edelbrock?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old beet, May 7, 2008.

1. falfa1955

falfa1955

Great looking plumbing....where can I get that kind of work for the Man-a-fre on my 55 Big Block Chevy???? thanks

2. mac762

mac762

Could you post a picture of your BB Man-a-fre?

3. The Cat

The Cat
    from Mi

Hello, I am new here and found the link through google. I was e-mailed a photo of an intake this morning and wanted to search some information on it. I have found out that it is a man-a-fre 4 duece. It happens to have the secondary fuel block with solenoid. I was informed that it will be for sale on e-bay soon and I am interested in it. I have no idea how much it is worth and don't want to bid too much. Can someone suggest what I should limit my bid to? Thanks for any help that you can give. I can't get the photo to post from here at work, so I will get that done tonight after I get home.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  4. mac762

mac762

Thanks for the heads up on your intake for sale, bung hole. Did you really think that we'd think someone that wanted to buy something on e-bay would tell us about it? Or maybe you are a dumb ass?

PS Nice intro.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This is the second one that I have seen with the direct port injection. Mine was the other one. Check my previous post for how it worked or didn't work.:D

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I heard through a friend of a friend that the OFFY unit is poor performer. Now I have no real world experience with so I am interested to see what you impressions of it are.

I'm a Weiand man myself and will mount this Early WC4D to my 265 (283) when it gets back from the engine builder.
    [​IMG]

7. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeffery, I finally threw my hands up in the air and took it off the car. I now know that my dizzy was only advancing 13 degrees.........ran like crap...never got it to my liking......I think the dizzy was the major problem. Another problem was my choice of carbs.......I did 48's instead of 97's.
    I now have a 3 deuce setup using 48's along with a mallory dual point........runs like a champ.......still need to redo the secondary carbs for full effect.
    I still have this manifold. I haven't sand blasted it yet to get the black paint off......it will be for sale

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ahhhh, cool thanks for the info. I actually did not realize that the thread was so old.

I'm going to be running 94's on my Weiand with all four running. Still need to start thinking about linkage. I feel like I am going to run a '59 4bbl Corvette intake witha WCFB carb on for a while until I have a every bug worked out and know it's running like a top. Also it's probably smarter for the cam break in to run one car rather then four.

The 3x2 you have looks great and if it runs great then all the better. That's the point of them right hahah!!!!

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

My thought is 2 carbs is pretty small for any overhead, i'd probably set it up running of the center ones with the outsides for kickers. Or if you are dead set on 2 carbs, why not hop up to the 94's bigger brothers off of later y blocks, they came up to something like 1 1/4 venturi

10. moses

moses

this thread started in 2008...but good info anyways..

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Well,
    The HAMB police are always saying "do a search first" so someone did!

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm glad he did I finally have a picture of a Man-A-fre with the port injection and the additional plumbing it needed. Very very rare.

13. I searched Man-a-fre on Google, and a third of the posts all link back to this thread.
    Not bad for a hokey ass message board.

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Slightly OT but Graves also did a fantastic job of modifying Roch 2 GC carbs for racing in 2 bbl classes.
    Mid 60s a lot of oval tracks in SE ran Sportsman class limited to 305 cid and a 2bbl carb. Most everybody running SBCs had an OEM aluminum manifold and an adaptor to run the large base 2GC, including me. Then I read somewhere in a magazine about Graves modified 2GC carbs, called and ordered one.
    Once I sorted out the jetting it ran like gangbusters, but that was for racing only and I wouldn't have wanted it in a street car.
    When the 500cfm Holleys came out a while later, I tried one for a couple of races and then put the Graves carb back on, as it was faster than the Holley 500 cfm. That thing was hollowed out inside till it looked like the back barrels of a Holley 3 bbl.
    Dave

15. Nassau98

Nassau98
    from Pottstown

I have an original early design Man-A-Fre for sale. It is in very good condition and includes the rare a sought after "after-burner" option. I will post some pics very soon.

16. kellysguy

kellysguy
    from MS

For a while, I thought it stood for "Hot Rod And Motorcycle Board.

17. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Years ago a friend bought one of these for his vette. On the street it was a pain in the "A", but at the track it was good. We put 4" spacers under the carbs, this woke it up at the track, a BIG help. For best street driving 8" spacers were the best, but were a pain with the hood.

18. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

whats up guys i have replied a few times to man a fre /offy questions i have both i am running a offy w/4 rochesters on my graffitti coupe ,i dynoed this took a few nites but the results speak for themselfs .starts runs idols acts as a single 4 its been on since 1992 everyone borrows it and cant believe how it works . jeffery james took it out at his brothers hot rod /bike run im sure he could post how it worked . it works so well i cant bring myself to swap it for my man a fre

19. jpm49c

jpm49c

A 1967 add for MAN-A-FRE for an AMC. John

Attached Files:

20. jasonj1932

jasonj1932

Lots of good stuff on here, I have a man-a-fre on my deuce that I am trying to get set up, one thing I have been trying to find info on is how do you run a good "closed" PCV system with one of these? I have the finned covers on the engine now and no breather holes, just the vented oil fill at this current time. I am not opposed to changing valve covers if I have to but still remains the question on where do I go for the vacuum source I need with the way the man-a-fre functions with the four carbs and one to each two cylinders which is a early 70's 400 SBC with fuelie heads. I do not want to do a "road draft tube" so if anyone has suggestions or better yet pics on what to do I would be very appreciative.Thanks

21. Is there a clear spot on the intake where you could drill a hole through to the valley pan, then put in a grommet and a pcv valve. Breather on the fill/vent tube. For the vacuum, if you don't have a vacuum port on one of the carbs, how about tapping one of the "Injection" holes in the intake. Put an orifice in the tap so it doesn't pull too much vacuum and I think you are good to go. Stay tuned to hear how wrong I am.

22. jasonj1932

jasonj1932

Well the one issue I have with drilling the intake is not like I can go down to the local speed shop to pick another up anymore, there are allen head plugs but not sure if that is a common vacuum and with the throttle levers kind of hard to get something screwed in there. I have thought about tapping a port on each of the carbs BUT the way I understand this to work you dont want to screw around with the mixtures going to the cylinder, does not have a common plenum like most manifolds where it all gets mixed and burned. So there lies the problem do I just cut a hole into the finned covers with a PVC valve and go out the back of the block and to the ground? Will that really help push out the harmful vapors and keep my motor clean? I have heard of guys tapping into exhaust but only if you are not running mufflers. However that is an intriguing idea about the "injector ports" just would have to find a way to tee either four into the valve or just try the one. I have only had the car running one weekend with the setup and was blowing oil mist out the fill tube and onto my firewall and windshield, was like driving a dragster!

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Yes the injector ports or dimples like this undrilled manifold would work well as a vacuum source for your PCV valve. I'd yoke all 4 together and connect the PCV into a tee in the middle so that the air added after the throttle plates will be dispersed to all 8 cylinders. You don't need to connect all 8 dimples but you have the option to use the one in front or the rear if it it makes it easier. There are a lot of posts on PCV valves that don't go into the valve covers. A search will give you several ideas. The hard part of the Man-a- fre is the vacuum source. My manifold came from the factory drilled with 1/8" NPT threads where the dimples are above.

24. jasonj1932

jasonj1932

Thanks! I was thinking along the lines of maybe using the old four port fuel blocks that you see in some of the old pics not sure where I would bolt it down tho, or where you find the old style do you have any pics of your setup and how its all plumbed? Luckily looks like mine are already tapped with an allen screw.

25. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Mine was just like this (factory). The tubing was very small for the direct port injection. Notice the solenoid on the end with the wires. I think these chrome 4 port fuel blocks are still available. I never liked them because they were too new looking for my tastes.:D

I used 5/16" tubing for my PCV on a different intake. I used button head machine screws to plug the ports when I eliminated the port injection on the Man-a-fre.

[​IMG]
    Speedway still sells the exact same fuel block used by Man-a-fre back in the 70s

26. jasonj1932

jasonj1932

Yes, I have this already coming off of the polished smooth firewall and running to the carbs just like Milner's, so you are saying pick up another one of these and bolt to engine somehow, run a PCV from the passenger valve cover to this block and run four lines from each of the "injector ports" but just based on the size of the hole use some kind of fitting to get a "metered orifice" almost like a fuel jet design back over to the fuel block and the vented oil fill tube would be my inlet air into the engine. Sound about right? Will I need another breather on the driver side cover? Would it hurt? Another question that may be dumb but what is the proper way to install the vintage "Moon" breathers on a valve cover and should it be on the intake side of cover or exhaust? I have seen both ways but never paid any attention til now, as you can tell I have no hood and am trying to keep everything discreet and period correct looking now that I have the Man-A-Fre on there. When I was running a 650 Holley the engine looked like everybody else. Thanks for the pics and the info, this forum is a real big help.

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

the PCV valve is the metering port.

[​IMG]

I put mine on the intake side so that the oil will drain back into the valve cover instead of being trapped inside the breather and resting on the gasket.

28. jasonj1932

jasonj1932

Thats a cool looking setup, I am running the red hose also, I like the looks of the breather, do you have to cut out the side of the valve cover or do you just drill a bunch of holes and then bolt on from the inside?

Attached Files:

29. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a balance passage that runs under the peak in the center of the manifold, and this passage connects all 4 carbs. I'm going to drill and tap 1 hole there and connect the pcv and hose between there and the oil fill tube in the front of the manifold. Several mid 60s chevys did this and the tubes with caps that seal off are repo'd. I'm going to pull air onto the engine through a couple of Offy breathers fastened to the side of the valve covers (2)

30. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I cut out some gaskets from 1/8" cork gasket material and use the gasket as a guide to drill a number of 1/4" holes. These VCs were drilled by an old time hotrodder sometime in the last 55 years before I found them.