Register now to get rid of these ads!

bodymen What part is the most boring for you.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, May 20, 2010.

1. I have to have some beers and good tunes to keep me motivated, I've been doin' bodywork since the 80's and I need a little motivation. 80's metal and some blue moons always make it better, not so much like work, make it enjoyable!

2. After 25 years it all sucks!!!!! It's a living though.....blocking is not too bad, color sanding and buffing are what I hate the most. Seems like when you finish painting you should be DONE! But NOOOOOO! you gotta sand the damn thing a couple of more times....

3. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

It all pretty much sucks. But at the same time I'd much rather be doing this than mechanical work. Only problem is that with the economy being shot, there arent any good bodywork jobs out there. I guess I should have been a mechanic, they are making a killing right now.

4. RMR&C, that sounds about right, just when you think your almost done (painting) you gotta wetsand n buff. Damn ,forgot about that, best part is final assembley , then gettin paid.

5. pdc

pdc

I'm teaching myself how to do body work, on a off topic truck, and I hate it. Sorry for the negativity.

6. putting bondo on again again sanding it off and still having flaws do this many times, then spot putty and sand more, drives me nuts doing this
    but did it 18 years for a living a VERRY MEAGER living
    my fingers are sore and my arms ache because of sanding, did a lite day of air filing and priming today:eek:
    and hope to mow grass tomorrow to avoid bodywork then:D

I used to realy know how to do this 23 years ago, who changed the materials?? :mad:where did the lacquer primer go??:confused:
    the good news, I still have a lot of skills and tools and equiment from ancient days that are all handy for working on old style cars:rolleyes:

good thing i sold my masking machines, need them back now!!!:cool:

picture of the sled I am doing , and NOT enjoying!!!!!

Attached Files:

7. samurai mike

samurai mike

sanding and sanding until you almost don't have any finger prints left! but the paint job is worth it. at least until some jackass door dings you and you have to start over.

8. Flathead Fever

Flathead Fever
    from CA

While wet sanding rims you find out the skin on your fingers is thinner than the coat of primer.

Jerry

Attached Files:

9. choptopdoc

choptopdoc
    from tulsa

I second that! Color sanding and buffing is the worst. By the time I am color sanding a big job, all the hours catch up to me. I often dream of the car getting stolen overnight, and I never hafta see it again.:D

10. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

in all the yrs of body working. ii have come to realize that everyone hates to do body work BUT no one wants to pay to get it done right. cheap, fast and easy should never be in a sentence for body work..... unless your talking to a hooker :D

sanding filler is not so bad but i do hate to color sand and buff.

11. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

I hate waiting for one section of a small panel to cool so one can continue welding it in. On big panels it easier just move to another spot but those small ones it's wait wait wait.

12. GaryC

GaryC

color sanding and buffing is the worst. followed up closely by the rest of it.

13. At the moment, I have a deadline at my school to strip the outside of my car primer it up and tow it out or they will tow it themselves. So at the moment stripping in all those crevices. especially the ones behind the seats.

14. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

Blocking an entre primed car, takes forever!

15. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

i do body work everyday i love block sanding primer but the part i hate is wet sanding clear coat and buffing none of it is boring to me ..

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

Cool the tacks with compressed air, helps control warpage and you can finish it up alot quicker .

17. Not a bodyman but I hate block sanding. Takes forever and I never really know how perfect is perfect.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yep... it's the sanding... and it's funny how many want to shoot the paint, but don't want to sand...

19. I was 17 in 1962, starting out to become a bodyman. The GM dealership body shop was typical of the time. All sanding was done by hand. A long board, or rubber block were as high tech as it got. I remember our Foreman bringing in an electric sander which most of us had never seen before. It was underpowered and heated up. We never dreamed of orbital or air boards. I am now 65, waiting for a double lung transplant. Dust,paint etc were the cause. PLEASE wear your mask. The most boreing part is all the years you can't breath well enough to do anythig except wait,and hope for a transplant. Anyone want to trade me a set of lungs for my car show trophies ??

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  20. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Ehh I've only been in the actual field (IE full time job) for a year now, and none of it is boring.

At the shop I work at it's just me and two other guys, and you get a vehicle from the start and do everything to the finish.

My most hated part is swapping all of the parts from old doors to new doors on all of the newer European vehicles.

I still love all areas of body work and painting though. I'm 'good' at it and seeing my finished product is always such a reward. We'll see what I say after 30 more years though.

21. As I get older, my standards become much lower and my vision becomes soft focus............I still hate sanding though.

22. prost34

prost34

wet sanding and buffing,i hate buffing,,love blocking primer though,its relaxing for me,,,

23. prost34

prost34

yea,give it abouit 20 years then tell us your opinion :D

24. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

After a 7 year procrastination I am finally starting to block sand and finish my car. Funny, when I was doing this for a living it never bothered me much. I am having fun this time around, maybe cause i'm not getting paid and my skills don't seem as rusty as I thought. And all of your bitchin is surprisingly comforting!! Thanks!

25. NOTCH

NOTCH

I just hate cars that need allot of Frickin body work!

But for the most part i like it.. its a good work out when you think about it.
    have you ever heard "never get into a fight with a Body Man"

26. Yeah, because their head is so thick you will never hurt them!:D

27. Rattaxi48

Rattaxi48
    from ohio

being layed off sanding does suck but no job is worse yet

28. tuki

tuki

10 4..i hate sanding.i do it everyday

29. indyjps

indyjps

CLEANING, seems like I spend as much time cleaning as I do with bodywork
    derust, clean the garage, clean the car to prime, filler, sand, clean, filler, sand, clean, clean the car, clean the garage, shoot primer, sand, clean car, clean garage, primer, sand, clean the car, clean the garage.
    If I had a booth it would be different, then Id have to keep the booth clean also.
    Masking ranks up there too, if I was better at bodywork i could do it in fewer steps

30. Master of None

Master of None

Mine is sanding door Jams... it seems they are never get fully sanded.