Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help me bag the rear of my 1959 Chevy 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave K, May 6, 2010.

1. Dave K

Dave K

So I want to lower the rear of my Chevy 1/2 ton 2 to 3" but add air bags so I can raise it up a little when I am working and still haul heavy loads. I was thinking of getting the Gambino customs axle brackets and running them inboard of the frame rails. Would it be better to mount them to the out side of the frame rails so I would have more roll stability? Should I do something totally different?

Here are some pictures of what I am working with. And a picture of the axle bracket kit I am talking about.

Thanks for any help or pictures

Dave

Attached Files:

2. Dave K

Dave K

This is how it sits now. Not going to lay frame, not even going to have onboard air. Just some shrader valves for when I need to pump it up.

Attached Files:

3. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

Why go through all that trouble and not 4 link it or even 2 link it with a panhard at the least while your at it? It will ride like shit with springs and bags. looks like your a weekend away from it

4. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Well it looks like you have a good start there and the truck sits really low as it is. I really like the look. It seems to me that you can get away with some 3" blocks in the rear and some helper air springs that go over the leafs. the thing that concerns me though is the upside down u-bolts and bolt plate. looks like it does well for that apllication but I would be a bit scectical about running it with some blocks. although it is an easy fix. schrader valves suck. they fill slow and a hassle when it comes time to fill. there are very inexpensive on board air systems that work well for helper spring setups. Summit carries them. although a very simple setup can be made with a few valves and an inexpensive compressor and tank. this can also work very well. I have had all sorts of silly systems rigged up because I wanted to save money and all that.

enough rambling. you are on the right track. think about a little extra effort now to save a ton of hassle later.

And yes Gambinos brakets rule. use em.

5. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Rusty Pipes speaks the Gospel!!!!!

Word!

6. Dave K

Dave K

I do not own a welder and am going to have to drive it to a friends shop to have him do the welding after work one night plus I do not have the funds for the parts 4 link parts.

I want it to ride on the springs and just keep 5 psi in the bags so they do not shred themselves

7. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I would say without fundage. put blocks in and drive it till you save enough dough to do it the way you really want. in the end you will save a ton of money trust me. buy one part at a time till you have all the goods. in the mean time practice those welding skills. by game time you will be an old pro.

8. Dave K

Dave K

I plan on a very inexpensive on board air systems when I have some more funds but at the moment bags and brackets are all I can afford. I was thinking of the helper spring setup but I do not know if I could get them to mount high enough to allow the axle to go all the way into the notch.

9. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

to go all the way into the notch you are looking at a four link. Also something to think about is using the long arm suspension out of a 60-72 chevy truck. they are great systems and you can pick up a truck for next to nothin. you can use all the rear parts and even some of the brackets from the donor. can be done for cheap. you can also make your own version with some steel tubing.

10. Dave K

Dave K

It will only need to be able to go to the top of the notch for suspension travel not because I want it to sit there. There is just no way I can build a 4 link or take the suspension out of a later truck because I have no shop space, very little time and no welder. I also do not want my truck to sit on its ass if I ever blow an air line. I want to ride around on my springs 99% of the time and fill the bags when I need to haul a heavy load only.

11. TMoney

TMoney

If all you need airbags for is for load compensation then I would definitely go with blocks and helper springs. You could build a bracket off the top of the notch to mount them if you need them to mount higher. Should be easy enough with limited time and space. Then you'd just need your buddy to weld the brackets and you'd bolt the rest together.

12. he's right..it'll be cheaper to buy it all at once then mess around for awhile and buy piece by piece

13. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

man Im right there with you.Actually I already have the gambino brackets.I just havent pulled the trigger yet.

14. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

To answer the origional question, mount the bags to the outside of the frame for more stability. Those brackets are exactly what you would need. You should have plenty of room if you are not trying to slam it.

15. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I dont think those brackets will work outside the frame though.Mostly when you are turning into driveways and such,they will hit the inside of your wheels.you could do it with smaller brackets and one of those airlift set ups from summit (MAYBE?) they look smaller.

16. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Hold the brackets up to the notch and see how much space you have. If not enough, mount em inboard.

17. Dave K

Dave K

Thanks for the input guys.

If anyone has run there bags out side the frame I would like to see pictures and know the details of the set up. Also would like to see pictures of any setup that used leaf springs and bags together.

We hauled concrete today so I took some glamor shots with the my truck at the stance I am going for.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      89.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      86.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      92.4 KB
      Views:
  18. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

Just wondering Dave K, how did you get the rear so low as it is? Did you just flip the rear axle? Take some leafes out? Just couriouse cause Im working on a 59 Chevy fleetside and I just flip the rear axle and took 2 leafs per side out and want to know how its going to look once I pull the jack stands.

19. Dave K

Dave K

In the rear I flipped the axle and that is all so far. You might need to put a C-notch in your frame because mine hit the frame even with no load before I notched it. I am planning to add some 2" dropped shackles and pull a spring or two when I get the bags installed. The picture in post number two is how it sits without a load.

20. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

After I flipped the axle and Before I took the leafs out I put the truck on the ground and I still had some clearance to the frame, About 3" worth. With the leafs out I'm sure a c-notch is in order.

21. Dave K

Dave K

You might be fine with 3" if you have good shocks and do not want to haul to much. I really like having a big notch because I can still haul 1200 pounds and the axle never hits

22. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

Yea, I plan on hauling nothing. Maybe a couple of fold up chairs and a cooler for the shows. But thats it.

23. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Dave. I really like that you are using your truck for a truck still. I had built my 60 GMC to do the same and only went with a mild notch. having put some thought into what you are doing I see no problem with just using bags as load levelers. the gambino kit should be perfect and easy to install. but you could also put the bags forward of the axle and mount to the leaf springs and the frame if space becomes an issue. there are kits to do this although making the brackets would be straight forward.

your truck looks great and you are on the right track. keep up the good work. and dont let the no garage no tools thing get in the way. never say never. if there is a will there is a way to get it done.

Eric

24. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

And I think you totally have enough room to mount them outside the rails.

good luck!!!

25. TMoney

TMoney

Truck looks bitchin by the way.

26. theorangecouch

theorangecouch

man that looks good!!!