Register now to get rid of these ads!

History So-Cal SPEED SHOP HISTORY!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James Maxwell, Sep 22, 2009.

1. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

OK there's some thread already on here about Super Shops but how about some details on other Cali Speed Shops? Sheldon's Service Centers, J&M in Riverside, J&S in OC and the list goes on and on. Speed shops are good for the hobby and I do hope that they will return.

Any stories?

2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im a lucky one . have a real speed shop from the '60s still running ! awesome cause ive know the guy since high school . not many true speed shops left .. steve

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

James, you can drive a couple miles north to Smokey's Speed Shop in Oceanside. It's been there forever, and still selling speed parts!
    :)

4. The best one I have ever been to is owned by my uncles friend in Regina, Saskatchewan. It is called Queen City Performance. It is owned by Abe and he has been the only person to ever work there. No other employees and no computers in the whole shop. It's real old school. I try and buy all my parts when I am down there in the summer or else I have to place orders with Jegs or Summit.

5. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I'm not into mail order speed parts.
    So for me, it's Service Center Racing in El Monte.

6. Scott K

Scott K

The only anecdote I've got:

Back in the 60's, my late uncle (Ralph Knight) was crew chief with Phil @ J&M and Gene Brasel (driver) in a jr fuel dragster. They had some success locally and won their class at the Bakersfield smokers meet in 68 (I think!). The car was a Logghe chassis w/ an injected SBC on lots of nitro. Not long after, they got out of serious racing and started playing in the dunes.
    Last I heard, Phil's daughter was running the speed shop while Phil was enjoying the blown big block 47 Ford sedan my uncle built him....damn, just realized it's been 8 years since I was in Riverside.

7. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara

Bob's Speed Shop, in Fort Lauderdale.

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

I think the original post asked for speed shops in southern California...:)

9. rondonrus

rondonrus
    from Las Vegas

Precisioned Speed was owned by Dave Smith and now is in Corona, Ca.

10. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

In the early '70's my friends Gary Toy and Frank King opened SpeedSport Center in Monrovia CA on Foothill near Myrtle. In the rear Paul Althouse ran his business, Pauls' Automotive and next to him was "Daves' Dyno" . It was quite a hub of activity during that time .

11. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Wow! That brings back some memories. Didn't know they were still there. Last time there was around 75. :D (see picture).
    [​IMG]

I miss the old speed shops too. We have the Summit store/whse. in here in Sparks though.:cool:

12. Can't believe that no one has mentioned Blair's Speed Shop in Pasadena! It's been there over 60 years under just two owners - Don Blair and Phil Luken's (who worked for Don and has owned it for at least 40 years)
    Many famous drag cars came out of there (including the Anglia I have) and they probably put more straight axles under cars than anyone anywhere!
    Quite a few name guys worked there as well, including Eric Vaughn, Pete Eastwood, and I think a guy named Chapouris among others

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Hi don, I didn't mention Don's, as I knew it was still open. I was there getting parts and BS ing with Phil a lot back then. I use to race Phil in Comp Elim. back in the 70's. Talked to him a bit at the March Meet last year.

Also Jon's speed was another from back then.:cool: Ran out of his place too.:D

14. inline 292

inline 292

I was starting to put together a 394 Olds with a 4sp. hydro in the mid-late 60's. Knowing the hydro torus cover (flywheel) would need the balance weights added for the 394 I looked in the phone book, got B&M's location & drove out there with it. Much to my surprise I found out they didn't know/care what I was talking about. Next I took it to Blair's where I had been as a schoolboy in the 50's & Don just smiled & said 'no problem'. Ever after that, his was the ONLY place I ever went to.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  15. There were several Service Centers around.....there was one in Compton on Atlantic and one in Anaheim/Buena Park......That was the place to go for us.....

John A Davis likes this.
  16. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

And me. ;)

17. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

Service Center in El Monte, still going strong, n how about Glendale Speed Shop on Brand

18. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Not going so strong. Richard is the only one left behind the counter now. They laid off my friend Dave last year- after 20+ years. :(
    I buy everything from there. Support your local speed shops!

19. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I wonder how many of you know tha Gale Banks started his mega-parts speed comglomerate in a little place across the street from Jons Speed Shop that was called Gale Banks Speed Parts . It was in San Gabrial CA near San Gabrial Blvd and Mission Dr.

John A Davis likes this.
  20. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Yup, I remember that. He's come a long way since then.:D I remember when Jon's dad helped $$ get the new bigger place (Jon's) put in across the street.

I was around Jon's and sponsored by him with different cars back, then in the 68-78 period. Don't know what happened to Jon after that. Is he still around anywhere?

21. John A Davis

John A Davis

Yes I do remember Service Center in Anaheim, owned by Dominick and ran by Jake the Snake. He used to build engines in the back.
    Just to add a bit of info I met Bouyd Coddington there long before he was a big time guy. He was a machinist at Disneyland at night and build street rods by day. He bought a house across from Cypress College that had enough property where he built a 3 or 4 car shop in the mid 70's ans started building street rods. I used to do tune up and carb work for both him and Jake. Byod offered me a job but I was young just married and needed stable work with benifits so I turned him down but had the opportunity to meet up with him several times through life and he always remembered me and was gracious. He was a very fun guy to hang with in the early years, one hell of a machinist and heli arc welder.
    I tuned one of his first cars that made front page of Hot Rodder magazine the Silver Bullet a 34 roadster I believe. Brushed aluminum digital dash that he machined and 8 single carbs if I remember correctly. I just remember working my ass off setting them up.
    Jake at Service Center used to send all customers that bought Holley carbs when they returned for warranty to me first unless it was obvious defect. Most every one was improperly set up for application.
    That is just a little history of So Calif speed shops in early years.
    I remember there was another carb. shop in Costa Mesa that I would bounce ideas off. We were both trying crazy things like drilling out the venturini block and adding idle metering blocks on secondary side, machining air horns, boring the venturi's out changing throttle plates etc.
    It was a very fun time in my early years.
    Compition Specilties opened in Beuna Park during that time and I meet Wild Bill Shewsberry that drove the Wheels standing funny car. We had some really fun times and I worked with him for a bit.
    When he had his all metal car before destroying it at OCIR then built his Fiberglass Funny car.
    Spent a lot of time at OCIR, Irwindale before they closed and Ontario Motor Speedway for Nationals.
    I am sure there are many that remember those days.
    Then I got old LMAO.

Irish Mike, Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You don't hear people use the term heli-arc anymore.

lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  23. .....You can tell they are "old school".:)

Irish Mike and Just Gary like this.
  24. I do remember "Jake the Snake" vaguely.....I was only around 16 then in the mid 70's…

lothiandon1940 likes this.