Register now to get rid of these ads!

Baby Moons?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blown Mopar, May 19, 2010.

1. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

Any body know where to find baby moon caps that aren't made out of tin foil by the Chinese

2. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Ha Ha Ha..... All that new stuff is from china. Try nightprowlers, but it's probably all from the same place.

3. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

Well I tried nightprowlers.com and didn't see any baby moons but maybe I didn't look long enough. Help me out here, nightprowlers?

4. chevyshack

chevyshack

I think Summit sells them but they are probally chiennese. (I cant even spell the word.)

5. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

and here we go again.

6. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

7. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

If you don't want any of that Jap-crap you will have to do the swap meets like I did. About 5 years ago came across some Cal Customs still in the original box and plastic wrappers. And I'll tell you something most people don't know - the ones sold today has a flat edge that is about an inch wide - the older ones only a 1/2 inch or less - there has to be some in order to get past the bumps - plus the new ones metal is so thin you can't get them on with out putting a dent in then. See if you can tell which ones are the Cal Customs - the others came from Summit.

Attached Files:

8. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

This is the Summit ones

Attached Files:

9. Seepwater

Seepwater

I have a set of Mr. Gasket Moons still in the box. If you want 'em let me know.

10. I found a brand new old stock set of cal customs on ebay for my Plymouth. Paid thru the nose, but they are very nice.

11. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked up a pair of Cal Customs new in the box before friends of mine closed their parts house. They had had them on the shelf for 20 years with no takers and I bought a set for the 48 and a set of the little ones for 13 inch wheels that I sold.
    The old ones rusted pretty quick and dented easily if you didn't take care of them though.

13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just bought a set of s.s ones from Sacramento vintage. Kinda flat and thin. Bent the first two I tried to get on. Don't know where they are made. Think I'll get my old Cal. Custom's I got from Franko maybe 20 years ago rechromed. Franko I still have the original box too.
    Gary

14. If your ride is a GM, they made some in the '70s that are baby moons stamped with the brand logo - I've seen Chevy and I'm hanging onto a set with Pontiac arrowheads - there may be Olds and Buick examples as well. Used on midsize Chevelle/LeMans/etc. and probably on the smaller Nova/Ventura/etc. too.

They're not a lot better than the Chinese stuff, but they are made to fit the snaps on the rim, I bought some years ago in the local parts store and had to bend the lip on them to fit them on the center nubs of a GM rim.

15. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

Hey thanks guys. HOTROD40COUPE I think I'll ask my brother-in-law to go down there and look at those. He lives just north of Grants Pass. BTW if you use the less expensive ones you can reduce the probability of denting them by cutting three places with a hacksaw in the rim in the back. It doesn't make them fit so loose that they fall of but they go on a lot easier.

16. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

17. Wonder if you could put a foam insert or something in them so they won't dent, too. Expanding foam and carve out to fit the rim after it sets?