Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going to be in the Santa Cruz Ca. area this week May 20/24

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordcragar, May 18, 2010.

1. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I'm going to be in the Santa Cruz area May 20th thru May 24 (Thursday thru Monday). Is there anything going on that I should try to see? Or good places to go?

Going to try to check out some shops, are there any recommendations?

2. kustomrodder53

kustomrodder53

Ah, my home town... Jealous!!

3. FIL

FIL

Looking forward to seeing some recommendations... will be heading down to Santa Cruz at least once while we're in the US (when we're not out on the road, we'll be based in San Jose) and asides from the Boardwalk area, not sure what else there is in town...

4. There's an early morning cruise on Saturday morning....Starbucks, like 7am onward...I think it may be in Watsonville.

5. boldventure

boldventure

That cruise is in Capitola off Hwy 1 @ 41st in the Home Depot/Safeway shopping center over by Starbuck's.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=17210
    Tha Antique Auto Club is trying to start an similar event near Nob Hill on Bay off hwy 1 Sunady @ 11:30AM to 1:30PM.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/alan.boldventure/CapitolaBayPorterNobHill

6. FIL

FIL

Nob Hill in SF? or is there another one down near Santa Cruz / Watsonville that I'm not seeing on Google maps?

-=edit: think I answered my own question... Nob Hill Foods in Capitola?=-

7. boldventure

boldventure

Sorry for the local reference, I meant Nob Hill Foods it's a supermarket, the cars are in the shopping center lot,http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....98322,-121.956997&spn=0.035653,0.062399&z=14
    Go towards Capitola on the map the shopping center is right off the highway.

On this map the "J" is the shopping center for the Satuday morning cruise:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...6.975267,-121.9594&spn=0.039702,0.090551&z=14

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  8. dmw56

dmw56

Go to the Boardwalk, then to Margaritaville in Capitola and then the Mystery Spot after a few margaritas!! :D Friday night stock car races in Watsonville. Aquarium in Montery. Go smell the Garlic in Gilroy (my hometown)!

9. boldventure

boldventure

the Boardwalk:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...964021,-122.019138&spn=0.071323,0.124798&z=13

Ocean Speedway Watsonville:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...121.734695&spn=0.142648,0.249596&z=12&iwloc=A

Monterey Bay Aquarium:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...121.867218&spn=0.544422,0.998383&z=10&iwloc=A

10. FIL

FIL

We did the aquarium in Monterey last time, along with the 17 mile drive... Was a good day out, and would probably do the drive again at least...

11. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

The Santa Cruz Metalmeet is this weekend, maybe that would interest you? Check on the metal meet site for more info.

12. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Fil..you didn't list when you would be in the Santa Cruz area, if you can do June there's Woodie On The Wharf on June 26, about 200 woodie should be there..................:D

13. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

That is why we will be there, thanks.

14. FIL

FIL

Plywude: we're going to be in the US from the 1st of August to the 4th of September... flying in and out of SFO... we're on the road a day after we land, in LA on the 3rd and making our way to Bonneville for SpeedWeek... we stay on the road until the weekend of the 20th / 21st of August when we're at Bakersfield for the ANRA round that weekend, then head back to San Jose and are around that area until the 4th of September...

15. Try Hulas Island Grill! Really good food and drinks. I take the wife everytime we're in Santa Cruz.

16. Canepa Design in Scotts Valley (4900 Scotts Valley Drive)

The Canepa Motorsports Museum is open to the public Saturday 9:00 AM to 3:00PM.

canepa collection.JPG
    Click thumbnail for more info

17. concreteman

concreteman

Downtown Santa Cruz a must the same people that were on LSD in 1967 are still there -way toooo cool :D:D:D

18. The Saturday morning thing at the top of 41st at Starbucks isn't a cruise or a show, it's just a get together of local guys. But it's the guys that really build 'em, so it's worth getting up for.

Canepa's out in Scotts Valley is pretty awesome. The cars on the showrook floor are spectacular, but try to talk your way into seeing the shops out back.

Margaritaville is way over, full of tourists and cougars. Just about all the places on the Esplanade in Capitola are tourist traps now.

Hula's downtown is great: Tropical drinks, killer food, great service. Tacos Morenos on Water St in midtown is cheap and the best burritos in the area. El Palomar downtown is higher-end Mexican, but good food and a happening bar.

Cruise out along the coast on West Cliff Drive and stop in at the Surf Museum at the lighthouse at Steamer Lane.

Drive out to the end of the wharf and grab a cocktail upstairs at Stagnaro's. It's the last building on the right, art deco style with a great fish market on the ground floor. Score some oyster shooters here, or clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl.

Rent a surfboard and wetsuit and paddle out at Cowell's Cove, just north of the wharf. The locals REALLY like beginners in the water....

Dude, you're gonna be in God's Country, have your best time...

19. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

What are you saying, we could be the weekend entertainment? <lol> We are going to be tied up at the MetalMeet Saturday and Sunday, but it looks like we'll have good places to check out the rest of the time we are there.

Thanks,
    Larry

20. FIL

FIL

Thanks for the tip on Canepa's... We'll try to find a spare Saturday morning to check it out... :)

At the moment, we might possibly be free on the first Saturday in September...

21. conormulroney

conormulroney

Definitely walk, bike, drive West Cliff Drive from the Dream Inn to Natural Bridges at sunset. It is almost my front yard and commute home from work and the beauty astounds me every day. The drive up Hwy 1 to Half Moon Bay is gorgeous. too. Henry Cowell State Park has some quick, easy walks through amazing redwood groves. Or Mountain biking in Wilder Ranch State Park has everything from easy fire roads to fun single track. Stop in Another Bike Shop on Mission St for info about that.
    It's so beautiful here, I vacation at home!

Conor

22. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

Nice, I will be there as well, coming up from the San Diego area for it!

See you there!

23. jhogan

jhogan
    from Aptos CA

Starbucks at the far end of 41st ave is a good idea, lots of cars. Mine is finally on the road and i'm thinking of showing up. Most cars get there early and are gone by 10-11 am. Head south on highway 1 past monterey, carmel, all that expensive tourist crap and go see big sur it's worth the drive.Check out seacliff state beach. Rent a small boat from the santa cruz wharf or capitola wharf and try for come halibut. Too much to list.

24. jhogan

jhogan
    from Aptos CA

Try the starbucks early in the morning at the far end of 41st ave. Most of the cars leave by 10 am. Take a drive down highway 1 past monterey, carmel, all that expensive crap and check out the big sur coast, it's worth the drive. Go to the santa cruz or capitola wharf and rent a boat, catch a hailibut or cruise. Go to seacliff state beach.

25. jhogan

jhogan
    from Aptos CA

Don't know why i did it twice, been drinking?

26. boldventure

boldventure

It's a Santa Cruz thing:p
    ok Aptos....

27. Tomorrow night is car night at baja Cantina in Carmel Valley down here in the Monterey area. It is about 5 minutes down Carmel Valley Road off Hwy 1, Baja is FULL of automobilia and old mtorcycles, Offy motors etc.. some cool stuff shows up and they have decent food and a decent outdoor BBQ. Worth stopping at if you are down in this area (like seeing Big Sur as mentioned in an earlier post). Hulas in Monterey or the Santa Cruz location is a great place to eat (Dukes Luaua Pork Plate, mmmmmm). SC is a cool town, just cruz around and dig the people watching. Oh and Zacharys in downtown has a killer breakfast. Have fun.

28. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

Wooooo Aptos in the house!!!! hahaha