Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I haven't heard from him at all. I don't know if he's done with it. I suppose I should give him a call....:)

2. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

3. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Cragar must have made millions. They were simple "plain" mags but they looked good on ANY car.:):)

4. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

XS-11's were big tires....not legal on a Stocker. M&H RaceMASTER 1O.65x15 XS11 I thought the 11 referred to the width.......We gave a set to my friend as a gift and he raced in C/A and B/G with an Anglia type car...I believe it was a Prefect. 301 with injection on gas.......Jr Stockers were on 7" tires and I think MP class cars also had a tire size restriction.....I just don't recall what size the MP cars had to run....maybe 9" wide......My buddy ran M&H B-140's or A-140's...one was softer sidewalls......Goodyears were also popular but I don't recall much about those....we never ran them.....We ran M&H's and they were the B-140's...7 inches wide...

5. Max Wedge S/SA

Max Wedge S/SA
    from USA

I have one of my '63's in my garage.Had it since '63

6. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Rich,
    I was running D/MP at the time with a 396. My M&Hs are 9". The rules would have allowed more but that's the biggest I could fit in the stock wheel wells.
    Verne

7. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You bet!

Pete

8. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Some good clips for ya!

<EMBED height=505 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/Yc3achEyN_c&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always">

<EMBED height=505 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/Ze_bwb0K5vY&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

Even though I was only eight years old in 1966 and not fully able to appreciate my American culture, being a young kid and all, all I can say by viewing these clips is: that WAS America. What it is today, I don't know...but it sure ain't what it once was. A real pity. :(

Pete
    </EMBED>

*Parts 3, 4 and 5 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4K6KTRdRhY&feature=related

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  9. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

10. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

<EMBED height=505 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/dOhzkyHlxAk&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Like I said: that WAS America, the "swinging 60s."

Pete

11. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

When the Modified production classes FIRST came into the rule book they were only allowed 7 inch slicks like the stockers. I believe the following year is when they allowed larger tires in A/MP. I will look it up.

12. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Those videos from Indy are great.....I was there in 1966!

Got to the finals in I/SA class...
    Winner was DQ'ed and then so were we.....
    We were the last car into teardown and the last one out.....
    We were on the way home next morning for the long flat-tow home to NJ....

13. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Hey Dave,
    Some information on the 66' Super/Stock Magazine Nationals at New York National.
    I think the Stock classes were limited to A/S, B/S and C/S only.
    I think it was Jenkins that won with the 66' 327/350HP (A/S) Chevy II over Tom Kerr,
    who had a Jenkins prepped 66' SS396/375HP (B/S) Chevelle.
    Not sure on Jere Stahl being there with the (A/S) Street-Hemi. Or even Dave Kempton in the 62' 383/343HP (C/SA) Plymouth.
    Doc Burgess was there with the 'Black Arrow' in AWB-trim, which ran in the
    2700lb. class I think.
    Paul

14. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Your not working off of memory are you Paul? Pretty good if you are.
    Doc was there in his Stiles prepared Arrow running 10.0 times and played runner up in the 2700lb gas class.
    Jenkins did win running as quick as 11.3's in his little Chevy II. The only major event he'd win with the car. Oh, Jere did not run the race, could be a factor in why Bill won. :eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  15. novadude

novadude

Yes! They need to make those wheels in a 15x4 or 15x5, and offer a 15x7 or 15x6 w/ a bit more backspacing for the guys running early Chevy IIs, Falcons, etc. :)

16. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Rich,

Lucky you! That being the case, you must have stacks of photos from the event. :)

Unfortunately, many racers as well as fans didn't take as many photos (or hardly any at all, like a long time friend of mine, for example) as they should have back then.

The 'problem' with living through a "golden era," as most certainly that time period was, is most people don't realize it until after it's over!

Pete

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  17. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Oh, by the way: how the heck did Jenkins get away with (running) that Chevy sign bolted to the front bumper of his Chevy II? Ditto Jere Stahl with a wind deflector of his own type on his Belvedere?

[​IMG]

Pete

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  18. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

65deluxe,
    Some by memory, some by hot rod magazines.
    Couldn't figure out why Jere Stahl didn't show up for that event.
    On Doc Burgess, yes he changed to Bill Stiles prepping in 66'. Hard to imagine, but nearly a year later all those 65' AWB's were history, and were deemed 'obsolete', as well as unsafe. A few of them were trashed at Dover Drag Strip, going off the down-hill shut-down area.
    Paul

19. CC voice

CC voice
    from Virginia

20. CC voice

CC voice
    from Virginia

You are right these were taken by George, and an other fellow. Too bad he did not give the camera to Elaine to film Rose in action. Jim Amos did a great job, but we tried to convince him to make a all Jr Stocker flick. He did not think their was enough interest to pay for the expenses that he puts out to produce one. So if you all get to York or see him at other shows ask let him know. He still has hours of georges films. See you all at York, Tom

21. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Pete....I don't have a single picture from those days. I don't even have a picture of the sedan delivery we were racing then! I can't even recall what I might have had for a camera back then. I do know one of the guys in our group had 8mm movies of that trip and also of some local racing. I have not seen him or that movie in about 30+ years.....

22. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Pete,
    Absolutely great stuff from the 66' Nationals.
    Especially the footage of Dave Kempton's 62' 383/343HP Sport Fury C/SA
    and the Musser Brothers 61' 283/270HP dual-quad Corvette.
    Not the prettiest cars to look at, with all those new-fangled 66' cars out there, but
    those early 60's styled Junior Stockers were fun to watch, even for only 13 seconds.
    Paul
    PS, The Musser Brothers shot themselves in the foot, when in August (about a
    month before the Nationals) they lowered the D/S record from 12.96 to 12.78. OUCH!
    Wonder if Mr. Kempton thanked them???

23. 65deluxe

65deluxe

I believe Jere still peeks in here once in a while, maybe he'll pipe up. Ive had the pleasure of conversing with him off and on over the past year and his lack of attendance at the S/S Nats did come up. I won't repeat what he had to say beyond the fact that the Hemi had issues that were not of not of his doing.

24. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

yea really i have seen 1 lil clip of rose racing :( a whole what 12-13 seconds?but i was very happy to see even that!

i would really like to see more

:cool:

25. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Tiny E,
    The 66' Nationals at Indy.
    The Dave Kempton "Shaker' was a 62' Plymouth 383/343HP dual-quad
    'Sport Fury'. It fit right into C/SA (9.50-10.59 wt/hp) class. The Belvedere was a little lighter, and would have been classed one-up in B/SA, at the top end of the weight bracket. I'll check my old files for weight.
    In 1967, I think he switched to a 62' Belvedere with the same engine combo, and ran in SS/EA, against the 440 GTX and 440 R/T cars.
    Paul

26. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Tiny E,
    For 1966 classes;
    The 1962 Belvedere 383/343 weighed in at #3148lbs. (9.17 wt/hp) = B/S
    The 1962 Sport Fury 383/343 weighed in at #3272lbs. (9.54 wt/hp) = C/S
    You can see why the dual-quad 62' Sport Fury was a perfect fit for C/S in 1966.
    After the 67' season, articles show that Dave Kempton went back into
    Stock class with a 62' 383/343HP Belvedere. He won the C/SA class championship at the 1968 NHRA Winternationals, defeating a factory prepped 68' Cobra-Jet
    Mustang.
    Paul

27. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

28. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Dave Kempton's 62 Sport Fury was a 361 single 4 barrel car in 1966

29. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Tony,
    Lots of info out there all over the place. But, the 'Sport Fury' at the 66' Nationals was classed in C/SA (9.50-10.59 wt/hp). A 361/305HP 'Sport Fury' based on
    #3267lbs. would have been classed in D/SA. (ie; Dean Russel in the "Lane Motors"
    car. There is an article out there, with Dave Kempton discussing on entering the
    67' season with the 383/343HP engine in SS/EA, and competing with the new 440's.
    * Remember, Dave Kempton won earlier in his career with a different combo.
    Paul,,,I'll research that.

30. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

The first of Dave's Sport Fury race cars ran in C/SA in 1963-4 with a 361 cubic inch, 305 horsepower combination. That one was white with a red interior. I believe that the later Sport Fury had a blue interior.

c