Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tire shaving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, May 2, 2010.

1. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

There are NO TIRES THAT ARE MADE TRUE This has been done for years, look at the weights that are put on your tires, this shows that they are not made right and we have to pay to have them made right. I won't buy any tire that takes more than 4 oz per tire

2. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

Was able to get my roadster back together last night and out for some miles at speed. I would say the tire shaving was a HUGE improvement.

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Mike D'Adamo installed and trued my new Cokers yesterday. What a pro. We are always asking where are all the old businesses we always loved. Well here he is. Been in business for 50+ years in the same location. Mike grew up in the business. Took it over when his dad retired. Started truing tires for racecars when he was a teen.
    I couldn't be happier. Go in,talk to someone that knows his business, Gets it done when he said it would be done, And charges a fair price.
    Thanks again Mike.

Attached Files:

4. promachine

promachine
    from chico ca.

How much does he charge?

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I hate to speak for him but I think he will be happy to get the $30 each that he charged me. Of course that is just for shaving. If he has to mount them it will be more.

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Small world. Parked behind Jripper at the swap today. He was talking about how smooth his roadster rode after Mike shaved his tires. I said I had just had him do my roadster tires. He asked are you Steel Rebel? Well what a bitchin A V.8. roadster he drives. Right out of 1948. If it wasn't built pre. '50 you could fool me. Good old time swap they put on in Petaluma Ca. in May. Free entry for buyers and only $25 to sell.

Attached Files:

7. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

nice meeting you steel rebel. besides the model A restorers trying to nickel and dime you to death, the swap was really good. i wish i would have bought that black helmet from you. take care, josh

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Yeah that was a pretty kool hat. Metelflake gold black with different color metelflake diamonds. I've never seen another like it. Young guy that bought was happy as hell with it. It was probably out of the late '60 early '70s. Wouldn't really go with your rod.

9. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

not for the car, maybe for this..

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  10. howco

howco

An out of round tire, is a defective tire, they should be round within factory tolerance. I bought a whole set from Coker two years ago, with tubes, they were perfect.
    Send them back, they should be under warranty......

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

As mentioned before some old home reversed rims ar not perfect. Glad you got some good ones.

12. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Wow kool pan. Still '50s, maybe early '60 style. I'd rather see you in an old Bell open face hat. I rode an old 1950 45in flathead Hog off road in the Oakland hills, in the early '60s and that's what I wore. Actually my Harley looked a lot like your pan.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  13. skwurl

skwurl

Roberts Tire in Gate City VA did mine. I also road force balanced them. That made a huge difference also

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  14. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I've had to have it done on my 2006 Ford Van. Some tires get out of round by storage.Mine had gotten out of balance.
    A magazine had an article recently about how balancing and shaving bias plys really improved things.
    It is a lost art though.

15. yblock292

yblock292

Do the #9 shot deal too