Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Lost my hot rod hero today...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodpodo, May 18, 2010.

1. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Lost my personal hot rod hero today. Ron moved in across the street from my parents and I when I was 16 and it was downhill from there. That was 22 years ago! While he was almost 30 years older than me we became very good friends. Many of my automotive "firsts" were aided by his hands and knowledge. He had a Model A p/u back then but he soon returned to his beloved Mopars. The last 10+ years were spent wrenching and racing his '63 Max Wedge Plymouth. He was one helluva wrench and a terrific engine builder, but above all that he was the best friend and mentor I could have asked for. I thought I would share this with all of you because I am sure there are countless others on here who share the same story. Click on the link for video of the tribute burnouts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWnBK1prM40&feature=youtube_gdata

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I don't share the same story yet, but I know the time will come eventually. Two of my hot rod mentors are over 70, and I know they won't live forever. What does live on though is the knowledge that they passed on. I soak up as much as I can every day. My condolences go out to you and thier family.

3. Sorry for your loss....What was his name?

4. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Here is Ron's Plymouth...

[​IMG]

5. Sorry for your loss. Wish I could say I had a mentor like that.

6. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Sorry for your loss.......

7. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Sorry dude. I know the feeling. There was a guy that owned a little old school gas station on the corner where I grew up. They used to race flattys and these old guys always hung out in the office there telling stories. I had to ask the owner to put my bicycle back together when I was a kid. He helped me but made me do some of it too. As I got older he loaned me tools and gave me advice. Even made me do 1/2 the job mounting and balancing tires when I was 17 so I knew how to do it. After moving away and then hearing about him dying it stung a bit to say the least. I doubt he ever got to know how big an influence he was on me.

I wish you and his friends and family the best.

8. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Sorry for your loss. RIP "MOPAR" Ron.

9. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

Sorry for your loss. Hes in the big race in the sky now. RIP Ron.

10. chopz56

chopz56

Sorry for your loss,this is never an easy thing to deal with!Burn those tires in the sky forever RON!R.I.P.!

11. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

It sucks to lose the guy that showed you the way,My condolences.

12. Shopking

Shopking
    from central Pa

Sucks to lose a great mentor.Recently been thru it myself.

13. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Sorry for your lost .

R.I.P.

14. Share the things you learned from him....continue the journey with someone who looks to you the same way you did with Ron. There is no greater tribute.

15. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Thanks for the kind words guys!

16. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

17. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

ron was a friend of a friend of mine. really sorry to hear this. i dont think i ever met ron, but i have seen his mopar at the track several times. i was rooting for him and his son down at bowling green last year. its tuff man. were only here for a short time and im glad to hear you guys had a good time together. now you pass this knowledge on to a 16 year old when you can.

18. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

sorry for your loss ,kids today could learn a thing or two from guy's like that,i know when i was young the hot rodder's of my town were where we rode are bikes to hang out they always could use a hand doing something,the first time i climb in a dirt track car to bleed brakes i was king shit,pass on the knowledge he would be proud of you,god speed

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

My condolences to you and his family. As long as you remember the times you shared and are willing to dfo the same for another young kid he will never be completely gone.

Frank

20. I feel for your loss as most of us here have/had mentors like that, hopefully we can do the same with some of the punk ass kids as when I was one not all the old timers had the paitence to tolerate it. Now when I see a bright kid I think to all those who helped me along the way, let me pass it on, the sprirt of our sport.

21. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Once more to the top...

22. I am sorry to hear that it is to bad. Hopefully he is rebuilding some bitchin engine up in the big garage in the sky. RIP

23. Well said.

24. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Real Bummer & Shit! (& Shit was one of Ron's favorite sayings) Ron was a great guy, always a witty comment and the technical skills to back it up. Ready to lend a hand or offer to build a motor for you if you didn't have the time. He just loved workin on cars, fitting the have gone out while in the garage surrounded by Mopars. I was just talking with my wife yesterday wondering if Ron was going to Good guys. I never got to see him run the car after I striped & lettered it, so I was glad to hear that Josh & Mike (AKA the Sons a Bitches) plan to run the car at Bowling Green. Winning Nostalgia Super Stock last year had to be a crowning achievement, other than turning his boys into the quality gearheads they are today. Im sure Ron's staged at the Christmas Tree waiting for the Green Light to enter the Pearly Gates. You never know though, hearing stories of his wild younger days. RIP Ron....What's a Racer to Do?

25. My sincere condolences. The world is short of good role models and it's sad when one passes on.

26. sorry for your loss lost mine in 2001 gene lade sr then my mother after that was a tough year

27. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

28. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Bumpin this to the top one last time. Friday is the wake and Saturday is the funeral...wish me luck!

29. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

30. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

I owe the Idea to Reverse the offset on the 56's Rear Wheels to the guy....