Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody know about EIN # reqiured

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by concreteman, May 17, 2010.

1. concreteman

concreteman

I sold a Model A to a guy in Germany , I have been told by the shipper
    I need an EIN # Federal ID # anybody know what this is about
    will I get nailed on Sales Tax at a latter date :eek::eek:
    Thanks

2. Since when? I've sold several overseas and they only want to know where to come get it -

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

EIN # is Employer Identification Number............not sure what that has to do with shipping a car overseas............but it usually IS tax related......Do you have a tax man or CPA you are acquainted with who might understand the connection.

Ray

4. Master of None

Master of None

They want to know it so they can send you a claim form not sure on the # for claiming that you sold the car for your taxes. First I've heard of someone getting asked though. you are a private owner right?

5. concreteman

concreteman

Thanks guys
    it just started in March this year ,they are asking for an EIN # I am thinking I will be hit up for sales tax at a latter date

6. concreteman

concreteman

I am a private owner

7. Master of None

Master of None

I would talk to a CPA I think they will be looking for capital gains tax more than sales. Its somewhere around 15% I think but I'm not an accountant.

8. Master of None

Master of None

Technically you FED# is your social # that you file your taxes every year under.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure why they would need an EIN, but a TIN makes more sense. A TIN is a Taxpayer Identification Number. If you are a citizen by birth, or naturalization, then this would be your Social Security Number.

Unsure as to why the shipper would need it.

The state might want to charge sales tax, maybe they want you to collect it, and send it in. It is being sold in California, technically, and the sale is subject to sales tax, I believe. I am not a CPA, you should check with one, over taking my hair-brained advice.

Forewarned is forearmed.

10. FIL

FIL

As stated, EIN is an Employer ID Number, how the US gov chose it to use in this case is anyones guess, except they probably figured most people shipping cars and other items OS should be companies... Where you used to have to provide your SSN on the export declaration, you now have to provide an EIN instead, this is supposed to reduce the number of times you should have to give out your SSN and hence increase your security... The EIN requirement, from memory (we had this discussion not long ago on another site) has been in place for a year or so...

11. concreteman

concreteman

I asked my accountant and she did not know ,may be because it's new
    I bet I will get a bill for sales tax

12. FIL

FIL

13. RClark

RClark

It has to do with Patriot Act requirements. Your SS # will do the trick. Nothing to worry about tax-wise, the goverment just wants to know who's shipping what.

14. concreteman

concreteman

Anybody shipped overseas in the last month