Register now to get rid of these ads!

How rare is a mc gurk valve cover for a 216/235 ??????????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cody Walls, May 17, 2010.

1. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

All right, i pick up this valve cover off of ebay a little while back for my 59 chevy station wagon project , i know mc gurk stuff is kinda of rare , but how rare is it for a 216/235 valve cover ????????????????? just wondering and thanks for aney info .:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nice....I've never seen one!

3. 1st I've ever heard of "McGurk" was "Stroker McGurk"... didn't know there were any performance/dress up parts named "McGurk"!

4. jandk

jandk

WANNA SELL THEM??????? If it will make the price cheaper....they are not rare at all......LOL

5. F&J

F&J

I am senile lately but I sorta recall the ad "get Gone with McGurk" ???:confused:

I think I bought McGurk brand? solid lifters for an early Olds from Honest Charley around 65 or so.

6. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

That's one nice valve cover, I'd say it's pretty rare. Stroker McGurk was a cartoon character that was always getting himself into a jam in one way or another. Frank McGurk was a legendary Chev inline tuner and speed buff, worked for GM for several years and manufactured his own line of Chev inline speed parts. He was the subject of the now famous Racer Brown "Soup that Chev" article that appeared in Hot Rod magazine in 1955. It's available on the net.

7. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Belive they were sold by Lee's Speed aka Tornado

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

First one I have ever seen.

9. They also made intake manifolds, but they are pretty hard to come by.:D

10. my dad has a McGurk 2x1 216-235 intake, but i never seen a valve cover. cool find!

11. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

here you go

Attached Files:

12. 1931av8

1931av8

Here is the cover to Frank McGurk's hop-up book circa 1954:

[​IMG]

No picture of the VC inside, but did find the listing and the original price...which I will be glad to pay you! Lower left of photo:

[​IMG]

Here are some accessories that will go really nice with that valve cover:

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. dytryen

dytryen

DANG!!!! I had a McGurk triple single intake for a inline 6. DANG!!! I regret selling it!!! Gotta talk OL'skoolJC....maybe....just maybe he will sell it to you.

14. titus

titus

mcgurk also made 6x2 for sbc

Attached Files:

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's pretty rad! Any info on how it worked? Never heard anything on a McGurk SBC intake.

16. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Yeah, odd... Sure some guy didn't go down to the local machinist and say "make me this, here is some money." and then sell it? Whatever it is, it is super cool!:D

17. ..........and adjustable rockers; have a set on my early Olds..

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

McGurk anything is more rare than the rest of the speed parts from back then. I've never seen a valve cover

19. they made all sorts of stuff .

20. voodoochili

voodoochili

what a great find... I want to know about the triple carb set up... are those side drafts?

21. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Even made some for SBC's

22. Kinky6

Kinky6

No, those are for downdraft carbs.

That McGurk VC is a good looking part, and just about as rare as my 216-235 Sharp VC! :D

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

23. PFF

PFF
    from UK

I was looking for one of these my self, I got real lucky and picked this one up at a swap meet in England
    [​IMG]

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I have seen McGurk intakes and Sharp,Niccson valve covers (Niccson side covers for the 216 also) but first time I've seen a McGurk valve cover. I've also heard about Fenton valve covers but never seen one. I wish they would repop these items,for I would buy a Fenton.

25. Well there ya have it, post #13 clears everything up.
    It cost $20 in 1954, which means it's old and outdated, so I'll give you $5 and be a nice guy and cover the shipping if you want to get rid of it. :D ;)

Cool lookin peice and even more so when it's the only one you may ever see.

26. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

thanks everyone for the info ,voodoochili<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_5246029", true); </SCRIPT> are u asking about my intake and carbs , my intake i built to adapt su ,side drafts to my chevy 292 here is from aht another angle
    [​IMG]

27. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

pff is it me or does your valve cover look a little different than mine , from the pic mine tapers at the ends and your lookes like it doesnt?

28. PFF

PFF
    from UK

Yep, I noticed that mine is dead straight. yours looks cool with the taper... adds to the rare factor
    Pete

29. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've got a McGurk valve cover for 216/235 (tapered style), plus another McGurk cover I traded a guy a dual intake for because the cover was a couple inches too long for his 235.......but it fits my GMC head fine.

gassersteve likes this.
  30. unkamort

unkamort

That manifold looks like the one on a Mk10 Jag. Are those 2 1/2" SU's? I entertained the idea of trying that on a 235 in a little 62 chevy 2 many moons ago. How far off was the fit? The combo looks nice!