Register now to get rid of these ads!

getting title with engine swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, May 17, 2010.

1. I'm thinking of buying an 67 econoline with a 302 engine swap, dont know what year the engine is. Any problem getting the title changed in Dallas with the engine swap? Would the engine just have to have the smog equipment that came in 67 ,or do they go by the year of the engine? Thanks.

2. aaggie

aaggie

The engine has nothing to do with the title. The title is issued on the VIN number.

3. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

It will depend on your state. You'd better get someone from TX to tell you. '67 probably didn't have any smog equipment to worry about. Most cars ARE on VIN but some states DID do it on engine numbers.

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

Do you have anypaper work at all on the Econoline? I have never heard of a title on a 302 Ford engine.

5. I havent seen it yet, going to look at it this weekend. I thought I heard something about having to have the smog equment for the year of car or engine, which ever was newer. Do you still have to get it inspected in Dallas Tx. before you can title it? I guess my question should be, if you dont know the year of the engine used in a swap, how far does the dmv and inspection places look into what was done before they will title it or put an inspection sticker on it? Thanks.

6. Best bet is you don't know anything if they ask, it's how you bought it. But I've never read of a problem and there are a number of threads on titling cars in Texas on here.

7. chazintx2008

chazintx2008

67 econoline will use the chassis vin, and will be exempt on emissions inspection. You will get the regular inspection for 16.50 or whatever it is up there. The deal with the engine for emissions regulated vehicles is that it has to be the same year or newer than the current engine and carry the smog equipment required for that year motor. If you need any more info pm me
    Chaz

8. Thanks for the info guys.

9. 55f100tx

55f100tx

there is no smog check on a car 25 years old or older in Texas. you do not have to get the car or truck inspected to get a title. you need insurance papers if you want to register it. run any engine you want in that van. inspection will cover brakes, lights, horn, tires thats about it.