Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Any ideas on how to build a car dolly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Sideways, May 17, 2010.

1. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

Ok Guys, I'm wanting to build a dolly to roll my car around. I was thinking about 4x4's and some 2x4's on 45's on each side. Then putting some casters on the bottom to roll it around on. I did a search and came up empty handed. If anyone has any better ideas let me know. I am pulling the body off in a couple of weeks, and I just want a safe way of rolling my body around. I'm thinking the 4x4's will have enough strength, but not sure. I'm sure you guys have built plenty of these.( Oh yea I am wanting to use wood, not steel on this) Thanks guys!!! Jim

[​IMG]

2. Toner283

Toner283

[​IMG]

Here is one we built to put out A on. It would roll easy with one finger. we built it that high to do the metal work without having to kneel on the flrro - it is the perfect height for the wheeled work stools

mostly 2x6 with a few pieces of 4x6 for the uprights. those wheels are about 8 inches high too.

3. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

I like it. anyone else got something they did

4. I had my Fordor on a 4x6 cart that I made with a sheet of plywood, some 2x4s, & some wheels from Harbor Freight. I think I had $60 in it when it was done. The Fordor was heavier than you would think. It worked well.

[​IMG]

Then I traded the Fordor for a RPU...

[​IMG]

Of course, an old depot cart is far more traditional.

Mine:
    [​IMG]

Kennedy's:
    [​IMG]

JH

Last edited: May 18, 2010

5. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I recently used an article in Streetrodder to build a smaller version for my RPU body. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0804sr_building_a_body_cart/index.html

Here is the downsized version I built. Simple enough to do, & it really worked out well. You could easily built a bigger version like they did in the Streetrodder article to handle your body. Hope this helps a little bit!

Dan

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  6. ken1939

ken1939

I made a simple one up of square tubing, a few joist jack tubes, and some caster wheels. High enough to not get a back ache hand sanding.

Attached Files:

7. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

harbor freight has these so cheap its almost painful. 360* on all 4 wheels, i can push the car around whichever way i like. only problem is rigging it up if you dont have wheels on...

[​IMG]

8. Last edited: May 18, 2010
  9. atomickustom

atomickustom

I've got my '51 Chevy coupe body sitting on a set of those right now. I just put a short piece of 2x6 in each dolly to create a flat surface, then set the rocker panels right onto them. It sits too low to work on that way (except roof work, which I need to do) but it took zero time, cost close to zero money, and allows me to roll that thing around like it's on ice.

10. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

I'm likeing the ideas anyone else got something different. I'm thinking of having the rocker panels about 2' off the ground. That way most of the work will be a desent height to work on. I have a couple rust holes around the windshield other than that, just cutting quarters out and replacing them. No chop on this one:cool:.... It would be kinda neat though being tubbed and chopped:confused: