Register now to get rid of these ads!

wheelie bar height?how high?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by american opel, May 17, 2010.

1. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

just a fast question.is there a rule of thumb on how high to set the w.b.off the ground?this year i have done alot of work to my car and am going to the dragstrip wednesday to take her out for the first time.wright now they are at 5''driverside and 5.5''pass.this was fine last year but i know that its too high now{i think}.i have changed alot this year.pinion angle{5deg up before now 2deg.}full ladderbar{before just single lower bar}anti-roll bar.before when i watched some video,the bars would hit before the front tires would come off the groung{spring-wrap}now i dont think this will happen.

Attached Files:

2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

It depends on how much take up is in your chassis. You really just have to get out and test it. You already know how much load on the wheelie bars gets you the right launch attitude. No you need to go out and see how it behaves. Start at 2.5-3" and loosen it up from there. Don't start high and risk a hard return to earth.

3. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

That is for sure something your going to have to play with at the track. If your wheelie bars have the springs in them, you can set them a little lower. I do have a question for you, does your leaves have a floater or are they bolted to the rear end. The reason I ask is if no floater your going to have some suspension binding.

4. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

yes it is just a leafspring car,and no im not running floaters.i know that i should be useing the floaters but myself and many of my friends have the same kind of set-up and havent had a problem.

5. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

this is a pic.of me and don{rebel-reaper}at thompson.both leaf,and ladder,gasserbars,and no floaters.for some reason the pic.wont load so im trying a diff.one.man is dons car BAD ASS!!!

Attached Files:

6. A...O...
    It depends on hom much squat you get on launch etc.

Although wheels up launch is impressive it is waisted torque. If you get get body lift with out yankin' the front end and force the rears to plant then you are beating the forces of nature. IE suspension lift is good wheels up is bad. Some one will argue that but the proof is when they are checking out your tail lights when you go through the lights.

Bottom line is unless you are getting paid for exibition then your ultimate goal is to make it to the big end post haste.

With your ladder bars you should not be able to measure spring wrap. So you want to set your pinion for optimal angel. I think I have a hot rod article on that I'll look today and tell you what month to look for. or Scan it for you if I must.

Anyway getting back to the wheely bars a good starting place is for your bumper to reach max lift with your front wheels just skimming. then play with it after that until you make your best 60 ft time.

7. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i agree.last year i did some changes to the motor{raised comp.from 10-1 to 11.5-1.i got some more torque and hp.but lost about 3-4tenths because of the wheels comming up instead of the car just going forward.i think for the wow factor its worth it.as we all know its not haw fast you go its how consistant{sp?}you are or how good it looks doing it.and yes sometimes i do get paid to bring my car because of its WOW factor.i think im going to try and just set them about 3'' and go from there.the first pass is just going to be a hit it hard then just cruse and check to make sure nothing bent or twisted.

8. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

well i got to make a couple of passes and from what i can tell the set-up seems to work.the only prob.i had was track conditions.IT SUCKED!!!i didnt think about how they dont prep the track for wed.racing.we had a blast though{wife one son and friends}.i ended up raising the wheelie bars up to 4 1/2''.when they did come up{front tires}it seemed straight.i went 3 rounds in eliminations and prob.whould have made it to the finals except i lost my alt.belt which runs the waterpump so i was done for the night.oh and buy the way the track was so bad that every run was a sideways pedal-fest and i have some bruses on my shoulders from the belts.it was like being on a skating rink!!!i think i could have won because i was willing to drive through it and keep going.i loved it but my wife was shitting her pants LOL!!!

Attached Files:

9. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I know what you're saying wednesday nights at Thompson the track is shit. Tons of street tire cars and front wheel drive guys dragging water out on the track. Also no track prep at all. When I used to run bikes I quit going on wednesdays because you couldn't get a feel for anything.

10. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i use to race there every wednesday.i never noticed how bad the track was but then again i didnt have a car that could run the same ets as the opel does now.i do love thompson and am not bashing the track.i understand its not worth it to prep.the track and have abunch of fwd.cars dragging water and dirt all down it.

11. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I'm not trying to bash Thompson. Like you said there's no point in track prep when street cars are ruining the track anyways. Good luck with the Opel and have fun. Hopefully I'll be up there next year.

12. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

hopefully i'll have the new 401 in it next year,and maybe{or i should be}in the mid 10s.hope to see you there!

13. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

car should still hook with that short a wheelbase....trans brake car or stick??
    No floaters creates a binding situation...we just had one in the shop and it bent the leaf springs BAD
    Just because Moyer's car works doesn't mean they all will....

14. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

its got a trans-brake.it usually does,and it did in the spectator side just not the pit-side.i know it should have the floaters in it,but i havent had a problem in 4 years so......?next year i will prob.put them in.its just going to take some time cutting the spring perches off and its alittle too late for this year.