Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cutting A pillars on 50 Chevy firewall to accommodate exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, May 17, 2010.

1. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

So because of a miscalculation, the current exhaust manifold on my driver's side (early 80s El camino, dumps between the back two ports) is blocking the dipstick tube hole on the 283. I *do* have some rear dump manifolds from a 305, but the inside leg of the A pillars (don't know if that's the right term) that are attached to the firewall and bolt to the frame are in the way. I thought that if it weren't dangerous to cut out that inner leg, then I could just use what I've got, as I think that since they dip down under the ports that it may provide the clearance I need to get the dipstick in there. I already have a new oil pan on there, so I'm trying to avoid going out and buying a pan with the dipstick built in.

What I have for both sides:
    [​IMG]

My other option would be to round up one of these, but I'm not sure if because it dips so low that it would interfere with the steering equipment.

[​IMG]

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

be careful with the rear dumps. had them on my old 49 and when the brakes lost a bit of pressure the pedal hit the exhaust manifold before the master cylinder bottomed out. you really want that pedal to be able to go all the way to the floor. you never know when you might need those extra few inches of pedal travel.

that bottom one looks like one a friend just put on his 51 sedan delivery. I thought for sure it was going to interfere with the pipes but the exhaust guy was able to angle the pipes and made it work.

as for cutting the support.. I see no problem with that , just leave as much as you can

3. The A-pillar is what holds the front of the roof off the dashboard.

Guys have shaved those firewall ribs clean off without problems; but what about some rams-horn manifolds? Or some mid-90s LT1 type from Roadmaster/Caprice/etc.?

4. TurboHaddix

TurboHaddix

As rusty said. I cut those supports clean off on my 52 Styleline with no trouble at all. Everybody's doin' it....you should too. :)

5. nutajunka

nutajunka

Same as above, cut them clean off my 51 coupe I used to have.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Rams horns don't work. not even close. the "center point steering" gets in the way

7. WhtMule

WhtMule

I pie cut and twisted a 305 truck manifold. If you have a welder that you have a good relationship he should have no problem putting the manifold back together. After getting the cut and twist right my exhaust guy had no problems run 2 1/4 pipes without cutting the firewall supports.

I know welding cast that is going to temp cycle like a manifold is not the best idea but I have had this in car for 3 years now and I daily my car 6 to 7 mouths a year with no problems.

If you want pics of what I did pm me and I can email them to you.

8. kraka138

kraka138

what if you got a passenger side manifold for the drivers side and flipped it so the dump would be out the front?(just offering up an idea i dont know if youd run into any clearance issues with anything else)

9. The firewall supports are actually not needed. They were designed to hold the body on the assembly line!

10. Front dump would create other problems. I would look at those LT1 manifolds before I did anything else, they come up rather than down and dump a little different, they may clear that dipstick tube for you.

Be aware the truck manifolds that dump at the rear are 2" to 3" wider overall when installed on the motor - they bow out at the back. May cause more issues than they solve.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

where did you hear that?

the whole assembly is part of the front body mounts, and the inner fenders bolt to them also.

12. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I wouldn't have that problem with the brakes, as I installed a power brake assembly from Walton Fabrication....now I'm rollin' with the hanging pedal! ;)

I'm trying to avoid spending more $$$ as the wife will likely be losing her job in a month due to corporate treachery, thus wanting to use the spare ones that I've got on hand.

I saw one fellah recently who *did* cut out that inner leg of the A pillar that the ribs attached to...looked ok, but wasn't sure about safety. I'd want to cut it so that it didn't *look* cut. Don't want folks seein' my MacGyverin'!!!