Register now to get rid of these ads!

289/302's in Model A's or T's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimegreeeeeen, May 16, 2010.

?

USing a 289/302 in a model A or T

Poll closed May 23, 2010.
  1. Don't do it, dude. Those are weenie engines.

12.3%
  2. That'd be righteous with the right parts, bro.

87.7%
  1. billyt

billyt

Slime,
    Got a 302 in my '32, been there since the late 60's. Solid lifters, Cal Custom valve covers, and a "Ford" over the counter 3X2 set up. I like different.

2. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

65 289, Comp cam, Cobra intake & valve covers, white exhaust manifolds, with a 4 gear........

Attached Files:

3. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

My brother's 31' roadster w/302 cu. in. and 4 webbers! Runs like a Bat out of hell!

Attached Files:

4. Do a search, there are already a couple of threads on this - and then go for it!

5. The Ford contingent is bringing it strong. Thanks for all the feed!

6. Master of None

Master of None

Its not a A or a T but nothing beats the," Hey look a Ford in a Ford" at shows. Its a 66 289.

Attached Files:

7. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

I have a 1920 Model T roadster with a 302, last year it ran 12.98 @ 104 with a stock lower end, cast dish pistons I got at a swap meet for 30 bucks new in box, cheapo 25.00 cast rings, 200.00 comp lumpy cam and lifter set and a 600 holley on a 30 year old shitbox Edelbrock intake. I got a C-4, no stall, no brake, no shift kit, no room for a third pedal either (Dammit!) Not sure about the mileage, but I made 6 passes at the HAMB drags, drove it all around the track, and to work 2 days (short drive) and topped it off with 3.5 gallons. And I drove it all the time until I made a stupid mistake and junked the engine, so now I have a new one! I say go 289 or 302 and if you look around you can get some good deals on Ford stuff. Also, I have measured the sbc with a short water pump and my 302 and my 302 is 1/4" longer from bellhousing to fan blade.

John

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  8. Algon

Algon

Very cool, here's mine.

If you like the engine, run it. Every engine has it's own strengths and personality which should match the build, it's use and it's owner. For any lightweight car I like the SBF being lighter than a SBC, with a low rotating weight which equals fast pick up of rpm through the gears which is great with a 4speed. The draw backs are flow in stock heads and when you start making good power out of them the block is often the weak link. On a 60's style and newer build it is as good a choice as any but with something older it is out of place. Mismatched 50's WWW sporters and jalopy rats with factory appearing 5.0s give a good engine a bad name.

Attached Files:

9. Algon, that engine is the shizzle...

10. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

a few examples of nice looking fords

Attached Files:

11. Beautiful.

12. brad chevy

brad chevy

Heck ,if it wasn"t for all the old Ford HOTRODS the smallblock Chevys wouldn"t have a place to live.I just traded for the t-bucket and if it didn"t have the smallblock Ford in it I wouldn"t have done the deal. Go down the line at the shows and everyone is just alike except for different fuel delivery systems.

13. 39 sledge

39 sledge
    from p.a.

i have a30 r.p.u. with a 289 in it its a real hoot.b.

14. Oldb

Oldb

The new valve covers on the boss 302/351 Ford crate engines might give it a unique look.

B

15. tjm73

tjm73

The 60's were a high point if you only look at full on race stuff. The late 80's through late 90's are the real high point for small block Ford performance. A stock 302 from a Mustang GT with a Weiand stealth intake, AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers and headers can make 400 hp at 6300rpm and 380 ft-lbs at 4200 rpm at the crank with pump gas and with the OEM camshaft.

16. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Exactly. Been running a 289 in my 34 pickup for as long as I've owned it. It's sitting on the floor now. Was installed back in 1967. They can be made to look nice, but not period correct if your theme is anything other than the 60's on. Lack of available vintage multi carb setups kills it for me, and the front end of the engine is just too busy looking for my tastes. And I don't ever remember anyone saying cool ya got a 289 in your old Ford. That said they are super little motors and reliable. Damn there are some nice examples posted here though.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  17. alright...the point about the proportions of the engine, and the busy front end and centering the valve covers optically are exactly why i dig this site so much. There are just so many people on here that flat know their shit. The period I'd be shooting for is sixties so I'm good there, but the proportions things is well worth some serious thought. Thanks everyone, especially Ryan, for making this kind of forum possible.

18. [​IMG]
    306 SBF Alum heads, 2x4s

19. Algon

Algon

Thanks man.

Pushing an engine forward to center the valve cover thing I can not say I get. Being a V8 only one bank or a difference of the two can be centered anyway so both sides are still different. On looks it is just a matter of opinion but to me it screams modern street rod with guys that seem to like to show off thier pricey stock type fire walls or a lazy hobby build where it was too much work to set it up correctly. This is also the reason so many "vintage" cars require electric fans. Placing an engine back and down as far as possible helps reduce weight bias front to rear as such as it is a general standard of building anything front engined and rear wheel drive. There is no right or wrong here as anything possible was done. Just decide what you like and have at it whether you use the little Ford or any other engine of the era, the parts make the engine and the car what it is.